IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget side panels.
11/21/19, 3:02 AM   #1
Midget side panels.
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Maybe I've not been paying attention, But when did they allow the small opening on the left side as well?

If you land upside down, fire, fuel leaking, hot oil pouring in, two ways out are better than none.

11/21/19, 1:25 PM   #2
HDbill

And to go with that question; how does it make the racing any better. Way more negatives than positives.

4 members like this post: chrismattlin, jdull99, nathans1012, PIT CART
11/21/19, 2:54 PM   #3
Re: Midget side panels.
jonboat15

I like being able to see a driver wheel a car but with the safety advances the driver is more concealed than in years past. It was fun watching Conner Daly hustling his midget in his bright green uniform last weekend.

2 members like this post: Chief Wahoo, flatout18
11/21/19, 5:18 PM   #4
HDbill

closing up the left side of the cockpit is NOT a "safety advancement". It is a brain fart. Somebody thinks it might make him .001 sec quicker; or keep somebody from taking a video and seeing which shocks are getting adjusted. Or reason of the hour, but absolutely not a safety advancement.

2 members like this post: jdull99, K92
11/21/19, 5:18 PM   #5
the1jet17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Maybe I've not been paying attention, But when did they allow the small opening on the left side as well?

If you land upside down, fire, fuel leaking, hot oil pouring in, two ways out are better than none.
So I can't speak for everyone else, but when I added them to my sprint car, it reduced the glare inside my shield. Therefore I added them full time.

JJ Hughes

5 members like this post: fish, hoscalecody, i love dirt track racing, Leohr46, SDHill89
11/21/19, 5:22 PM   #6
HDbill

I'll bet Simpson can give you a WAY safer way of getting rid of glare.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
11/21/19, 8:08 PM   #7
hoscalecody

Personally speaking I'm going to be adding a horizontal bar and fiberglass panel or aluminum to my car on the left side. Not as drastic as a lot of people do, but above my elbow a little bit. It's going to fit in within the rules and then some and if someone has a problem with it, they can go buy their own car and do what they want with it, but having a left side open like this is not very safe.

Also before anyone says anything I measured and 3D model tested on the computer. At least with my application a vertical safety bar to do as much as a horizontal would due to protect. The Vertical bar would make a smaller gap to get in and out of, compared to horizontal bar.
Attached Images
Waynesfield 2.jpg (92.7 KB, 201 views)
Last edited by hoscalecody; 11/21/19 at 9:38 PM.

7 members like this post: Fisher, J Watson, Leohr46, progressive22, rmcar, SDHill89, trannyman
11/23/19, 12:19 AM   #8
jdull99

I don't think anyone was complaining about the extra bars...it's the panels that are added that many ticket buyers don't prefer...I understand they keep arms in the car and rocks out, but I agree it would make it harder to get out, if they extend beyond the bars (vertical or horizontal).
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1 member likes this post: Midget98
11/23/19, 6:59 AM   #9
hoscalecody

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
I don't think anyone was complaining about the extra bars...it's the panels that are added that many ticket buyers don't prefer...I understand they keep arms in the car and rocks out, but I agree it would make it harder to get out, if they extend beyond the bars (vertical or horizontal).
Reason I've brought up adding bars is I've had more people complain about bars, mainly horizontal ones on my car then about body panels on it. Except side sun visors, I always hear complaints about them. Mine are only 3 1/2-4 inches though, they're allowed to be longer, but I don't go any lower then top of my seat. I got lots of complaint's with this red car having a bar and a sun visor.
Attached Images
30.jpg (354.5 KB, 120 views)
1.jpg (116.7 KB, 130 views)

11/23/19, 10:10 AM   #10
jonboat15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDbill View Post
closing up the left side of the cockpit is NOT a "safety advancement". It is a brain fart. Somebody thinks it might make him .001 sec quicker; or keep somebody from taking a video and seeing which shocks are getting adjusted. Or reason of the hour, but absolutely not a safety advancement.
I was just trying to be PC about calling the side left side panels safety advances. TBH I do not like them, but my butt isn't in the car, and some people will come on here and get very upset if you mention removing some of the side panels.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget side panels.