IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget side panels.
11/24/19, 12:50 PM   #21
Re: Midget side panels.
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoscalecody View Post
Main problem I see with the midget panels now is the side panel/arm guard and the sun visor is 1 piece and not 2. I purposely run zip ties on side visors so the visors aren't to rigid and will bend out of the way. Also zip ties can break with enough force. Car I just bought has dzus tabs on for the side visors, but I will not be using the tabs and will be zip tying them on.

This is my point, The side panel, side skirt and side visor on the drivers side, one piece and impossible to get into our out of the drivers side. We've seen that for several years on the right side. But like that incident last night, The fire can't be fought from the top even if it lands or stops on it's wheels. And the driver needs a second way out if it lands upside down with fuel, scalding water or oil pouring on him/her.

Not much on the zip tie Idea either, but I get it. They may last a couple nights on a visor but vibration and forces will cause the part to actually cut them. Im not actually talking about a side visor.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
11/24/19, 4:14 PM   #22
J Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDbill View Post
Your point is well taken. But that kind of thinking is what caused it to take so long to get cages on the cars and full containment seats. Some fans don't come back after their kids watched a driver get hurt. If all of those side panels were "easy off"; the problem would be much less. But most are fastened to not come off. THAT is a problem for a driver that needs to get out of a car on its top. nobody needs to get trapped in a fire.
But, it's a great idea to weld in more bars that cant be removed(WOO cage bars)
?

11/24/19, 5:49 PM   #23
hoscalecody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
This is my point, The side panel, side skirt and side visor on the drivers side, one piece and impossible to get into our out of the drivers side. We've seen that for several years on the right side. But like that incident last night, The fire can't be fought from the top even if it lands or stops on it's wheels. And the driver needs a second way out if it lands upside down with fuel, scalding water or oil pouring on him/her.

Not much on the zip tie Idea either, but I get it. They may last a couple nights on a visor but vibration and forces will cause the part to actually cut them. Im not actually talking about a side visor.
The car that caught fire, the whole left side was open, except for maybe a 3-4 inch side visor. Which was a separate piece from the sail panel dzused on though.
Also on the zip tie aspect, this picture is only time we've had a zip tie break and a panel fall off, for the visors. The front visor fell off and 1 zip tie broke on the right visor. The tail tank cover ripped off because the fiberglass ripped apart (Which went flying about 40ish feet in the air.) Same with the hood starting to fall off. This was 3 flips in and flipped 3 more times after.
Attached Images
77125420-DSC_6285.jpg (268.3 KB, 89 views)
Last edited by hoscalecody; 11/24/19 at 5:59 PM.

11/24/19, 6:44 PM   #24
Hamby454

This is a catch 22. Basically it comes down to preference for the driver. It is a safety feature. True it does make it nearly impossible to get out if you’re upside down but it also contains the arms and keeps things out. I personally watched a winged car blow a left rear and the tire came in the cockpit, wrapped around the drivers arm and nearly ripped it off. There are a lot of variables. Much more to it than what you find appealing.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, PIT CART
11/25/19, 2:09 AM   #25
HDbill

I don't remember saying anything about welding in more bars. But I have no problem with them IF the driver can get out. And arm restraints should be adjusted to keep arms in the car in case the driver becomes unconscious. I am a big fan of whatever changes are necessary to keep the nose of a car out of the top of a cage when a car is on it's side. I just don't want anybody hurt for any reason racing my favorite race cars.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget side panels.