IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget side panels.
11/23/19, 8:28 PM   #11
hsracer338

I ran the left side closed on my midget. But it is open on my sprint. So i dont have any preference. But

1. Do you guys not feel like if you NEEDED to get out of a car that you could rip the panel out of the dzus button?
2. I would guess the average driver can still fit through the side window most of the time. (In a sprint car atleast. Midget with a side visor might be too small)

When I get to watch races throughout my night I personally never look at people working the wheel, however when I'm sitting with some one that's new to racing, that is the first thing I tell them to look at. So I understand. I dont feel like it has an impact on the racing so unless you can find a significant safety advantage or disadvantage in running one then i feel like it doesnt matter either way. Its a good spot to sell advertising. Personal preference. Just my thoughts about it.
Last edited by hsracer338; 11/23/19 at 10:16 PM.

2 members like this post: jonboat15, the visitor
11/23/19, 10:15 PM   #12
Radicle

USAC Belleville Nationals
A few years ago I had to take off L&R side visors They were not allowed I said they could help keep a wheel out Then took them off
Things change So what about a electric powered midget ?

1 member likes this post: the visitor
11/23/19, 11:10 PM   #13
Re: Midget side panels.
jonboat15

Watching Bakersfield tonight, which appears to be a lovely little track, but most of the left sides of the cars are pretty open. Some are more closed up but I guess that's the way body styles are now. I don't believe that left side panels hide shock adjustments and such things. It look like Larson's cockpit is pretty open for anyone to see. Its just all a matter of preference today. Now onto the racing!!!!!

11/23/19, 11:34 PM   #14
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Yeah well there was just a big fire and the guy trying to get thru the little side wasn't having much luck knocking it down, The guy who got to the left side did knock it down quick. Yes, the driver was in the car the whole time. Luckily he's fine.

I get it, rocks, wheels etc can get in, But rescuers and fire fighters need too as well. With both sides having a six inch window, not much to work with.

Just seems to add danger than reduce it.

4 members like this post: billw, flagboy55, jdull99, outlaw-n2
11/24/19, 12:40 AM   #15
flagboy55

Overall the bodies have gotten out of control and Charles you’re right. They need to get it regulated

1 member likes this post: billw
11/24/19, 2:13 AM   #16
Hustlin-Hoosier

Race Count Last Year: 22

Things change So what about a electric powered midget ?[/QUOTE]

Seems like I remember one being built out in Cali years ago and an article covering it in , I believe it was Circle Track

1 member likes this post: the visitor
11/24/19, 3:03 AM   #17
hoscalecody

Main problem I see with the midget panels now is the side panel/arm guard and the sun visor is 1 piece and not 2. I purposely run zip ties on side visors so the visors aren't to rigid and will bend out of the way. Also zip ties can break with enough force. Car I just bought has dzus tabs on for the side visors, but I will not be using the tabs and will be zip tying them on.

11/24/19, 9:06 AM   #18
J Watson

I kinda feel that when it's your arse in the seat, and your hand in your wallet, it's your choice on the car. But what do I know....

11/24/19, 12:02 PM   #19
HDbill

Your point is well taken. But that kind of thinking is what caused it to take so long to get cages on the cars and full containment seats. Some fans don't come back after their kids watched a driver get hurt. If all of those side panels were "easy off"; the problem would be much less. But most are fastened to not come off. THAT is a problem for a driver that needs to get out of a car on its top. nobody needs to get trapped in a fire.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
11/24/19, 12:33 PM   #20
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

My mistake, The driver in the incident last night did recieve several burns and is getting treatments. Prayers of a speedy recovery.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget side panels.