IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thursday Night Track?
12/5/19, 6:48 PM   #11
Re: Thursday Night Track?
Andrew S. Quinn

On one of those nights the temp was 105 and they went thru the stands handing out water..... From memory....

That was a late decision to run on Thursdays. I think if they had gotten the word out in the winter months,maybe it would have been better.
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 12/5/19 at 6:49 PM.

3 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, jim goerge, tirespinner
12/5/19, 7:22 PM   #12
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
On one of those nights the temp was 105 and they went thru the stands handing out water..... From memory....

That was a late decision to run on Thursdays. I think if they had gotten the word out in the winter months,maybe it would have been better.
Same night I was talking about AQ.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
12/5/19, 8:53 PM   #13
Bad Dad 54

We had 2 tracks here in MI that ran Thu program, Mt Clemens just off I-94 NE of metro Detroit & Tri City Speedway in small town of Auburn MI just west of Bay City & North of Saginaw. Crowds were good for Thu, ran a good program & got done so people could get to work the next day. This was yrs ago though, what's the economy like now? will it hurt attendance at other tracks? Bunker Hill just North of Kokomo & near Marion was a nice fast track, but it's a 1/2 mile isn't it? Raced there back in 97? & enjoyed the show

12/5/19, 10:00 PM   #14
Al Pierce

Race Count This Year: 49
Race Count Last Year: 43

Well,Im glad you counted them.....I ran out of fingers. I'm happy they tried out the concept but I don't think weekdays work very well unless its for special events...Sprint Week etc......

4 members like this post: jim goerge, luckybuc97, racefan20, tirespinner
12/5/19, 10:20 PM   #15
djbamber

The Kutztown Pa. fairgrounds track has been running Wednesdays for the past few years with mini sprints, and other similar sized classes. From what I can see they do quite well. They are getting some of the best drivers in the area racing for a good purse, and with a short schedule during the summer it seems to draw a good crowd. I enjoyed the USAC midget show during their eastern swing on FLO.

3 members like this post: davidm, oldfan49, tirespinner
12/6/19, 4:34 AM   #16
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad 54 View Post
We had 2 tracks here in MI that ran Thu program, Mt Clemens.... This was yrs ago though,,,
30+ years ago, Dad. My how time flies.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, tirespinner
12/6/19, 4:50 AM   #17
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

Hey Mike How about the old MSPA/Dick Beebe Wednesday night races? dirt late models racing at Kalamazoo? Yikes I'm an old man too

12/6/19, 8:06 AM   #18
Rpracing1

This is not you fathers dirt track era. No way it would work today.

12/6/19, 12:14 PM   #19
kingmod5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad 54 View Post
We had 2 tracks here in MI that ran Thu program, Mt Clemens just off I-94 NE of metro Detroit & Tri City Speedway in small town of Auburn MI just west of Bay City & North of Saginaw. Crowds were good for Thu, ran a good program & got done so people could get to work the next day. This was yrs ago though, what's the economy like now? will it hurt attendance at other tracks? Bunker Hill just North of Kokomo & near Marion was a nice fast track, but it's a 1/2 mile isn't it? Raced there back in 97? & enjoyed the show
I think Bunker Hill was 3/8. It may still be for sale but would need alot of work and stands brought in.

12/6/19, 12:15 PM   #20
chop

The races in Michigan was called something like the "Michigan speedway promoters association" mspa. When I was a kid they had a race every weds night at a different Michigan track every week. It was a point series. At the end of the year they had a champion. It was a late model, stock car series. I can remember Chris Patterson was a champion one year. Gary Fedewa got to race at Michigan International speedway on a nascar weekend for being the last years champ. It was some type of Toyota pro- celebrity race. If I remember it right it had some old school beer company as a series sponsor. Think it was carling black label beer. Once or twice a year my Dad would take me to the close ones to home.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thursday Night Track?