IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Question re: lapped cars to the tail
1/29/20, 12:40 PM   #21
Re: Question re: lapped cars to the tail
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

I understand, but everyone has always called it a "move over flag"; either way, the concept is the same, if you're being lapped ,don't race the lead lap cars. Wonder if the same people who are bemoaning how "shameful" the minor change in procedure is also have posted that "backmarkers" should not ruin the show and get out of the way...
Speaking as a backmarker myself, I don't want to be the one who gets his rear bumper customized trying to be the hero. Sure, I'm not KTJ or Kyle Cummins or Double D who has a shot at getting their lap back but the same rules should apply.
I don't believe USAC is the first club to institute this policy either, so there's that.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

2 members like this post: duel, interpreter66
1/29/20, 3:06 PM   #22
Bill Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
I understand, but everyone has always called it a "move over flag"; either way, the concept is the same, if you're being lapped ,don't race the lead lap cars. Wonder if the same people who are bemoaning how "shameful" the minor change in procedure is also have posted that "backmarkers" should not ruin the show and get out of the way...
Speaking as a backmarker myself, I don't want to be the one who gets his rear bumper customized trying to be the hero. Sure, I'm not KTJ or Kyle Cummins or Double D who has a shot at getting their lap back but the same rules should apply.
I don't believe USAC is the first club to institute this policy either, so there's that.
Pretty sure it's a WOO rule also, at least it was a few years ago.

1 member likes this post: jjones752
1/29/20, 6:25 PM   #23
ChetC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill84 View Post
If you're running 15th and get lapped just before a caution, your still right behind the 14th place car, but it doesn't matter how many cars you pass at this point, you're sill in 15th place.
That's not how it works. If you're lapped by the 1st place car, you'd have to pass him/her twice to get the lead but you are not a lap down to positions 2-14 unless they pass you as well. You are still racing them for position. You only go a lap down to lead cars which lap you.

The old way was; if you're running 15th, passed by the leader and a caution comes out, 14th starts at the tail and you start between first and second where there's a good chance you'll bottle up 2nd on back allowing the leader a bigger lead than he had before the caution, or perhaps you'll tangle with 2nd or 3rd taking them out of the race because your car didn't come up to speed as quickly as the top 5 cars AND you have to race all the way around the track to catch 14th again or he'll lap you too.

The "new" way is; if you're running 15th, passed by the leader and a caution comes out, you start tail of the field behind 14th who you can race for position on the restart. Meanwhile, up front the leaders can go game on and get after it again without worrying about running over your slow behind.

Putting lapped traffic to the tail for restarts is the standard at probably 85% or more of the racing we cover. It makes for far better racing through the field on restarts.

1/29/20, 8:55 PM   #24
SoIllSprinter

Unless there is more to the rule than I have seen so far, 15th can’t race 14th for position when 15 moves to the tail. 15 is a lap down in that scenario, 14th is not.

1 member likes this post: Chief Wahoo
1/29/20, 9:37 PM   #25
ChetC

Interesting. In most of the events we broadcast where lapped traffic goes to the tail, they are basically given that lap back and race for position. The exception would be if they are caught in a work area and put laps down to the entire field.

2 members like this post: dirt330, luckybuc97
1/29/20, 10:08 PM   #26
flagboy55

Ultimately the change is unnecessary. The United States Auto Club has the best racing going. They don’t need to manufacture drama. I’ve been lucky enough to be racing for, or leading races and I’ve been lapped too. As a leader if I’ve gained a cushion by passing a lapper under green, so should second. If I’m being lapped I should know enough to at least maintain my line and realize I shouldn’t race the leaders. Really no need for anything else

6 members like this post: duel, erich45, jjones752, mc/rider, okie, progressive22
1/29/20, 10:38 PM   #27
cornerthree

Couldn't agree more made for a grerat Chili Bowl. As a fan I hate to see a restart with a few laps left and 3 cars between 1st and 2nd.

1 member likes this post: Rich Mersereau
1/30/20, 7:43 AM   #28
Spi-nex

If some of you would watch something other than sprint cars (like those support classes so many of you bemoan) you might realise this is pretty standard procedure across the board and it's worked out pretty well for racers and fans alike. Besides, in most cases 14th pays the same as 15th.

2 members like this post: Bill Angel, jjones752
1/30/20, 10:23 AM   #29
Midget98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetC View Post
That's not how it works. If you're lapped by the 1st place car, you'd have to pass him/her twice to get the lead but you are not a lap down to positions 2-14 unless they pass you as well. You are still racing them for position. You only go a lap down to lead cars which lap you.

The old way was; if you're running 15th, passed by the leader and a caution comes out, 14th starts at the tail and you start between first and second where there's a good chance you'll bottle up 2nd on back allowing the leader a bigger lead than he had before the caution, or perhaps you'll tangle with 2nd or 3rd taking them out of the race because your car didn't come up to speed as quickly as the top 5 cars AND you have to race all the way around the track to catch 14th again or he'll lap you too.

The "new" way is; if you're running 15th, passed by the leader and a caution comes out, you start tail of the field behind 14th who you can race for position on the restart. Meanwhile, up front the leaders can go game on and get after it again without worrying about running over your slow behind.

Putting lapped traffic to the tail for restarts is the standard at probably 85% or more of the racing we cover. It makes for far better racing through the field on restarts.

If that was the case, this wouldn't be the worst idea in the world, but that is not how the rule reads and I believe you are wrong. It doesn't allow lapped cars to get a "waive around". They become a lap down and are not on the same lap as the end of the line cars that were not lapped. It leaves very little incentive to stay on the track as you are unlikely to be racing for anything after being lapped and a caution comes out.

1 member likes this post: Rpracing1
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Question re: lapped cars to the tail