IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
DAD (Offline)
  #31 3/9/15 10:20 PM
Bob

The newer motors use gears for reduction. The Kawasaki is around 1.7 to 1 on the primary side. Many of the cycle motors use a zero lash gear set up to help make them more efficient. Would 1.7 be about right? With just two gears for reduction all of a sudden the output is turning reverse of the motor>

Honest Dad himself
TQ29m (Offline)
  #32 3/9/15 10:42 PM
Dad, I know how the newer engines drive everything off the crank, we don't use that gear for anything, unless we're not dry sumping, then it could be used to drive the oil pump and water pump. Guess we're not on the same page. Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
racer65 (Offline)
  #33 3/10/15 12:17 PM
I actually like the idea of a 1000cc class. they make a snowmobile engine 3cyl 1000cc already dry sump and able to hook right to the crank since they don't have the trans to worry about. they are putting turbochargers and nitrous on these engines without touching insides, meaning could use stock and should last really good in a TQ
TQ29m (Offline)
  #34 3/10/15 1:11 PM
Be careful what you wish for, bigger motor, bigger car, no longer a TQ, and where to run it, lots of problems, and few answers, what now, add another class/entity, I don't want to, what we have now, in my humble opinion, is as perfect as it gets, we have good standings in the racing world, we have good interest, and depends how capable you are, and willing to learn, a class of good racing that for the most part can be done on a budget, and without a lot of help, like I said in another post, I don't care if it's marbles, someone will find/buy/have made better marbles, it's just a fact of life, if you absolutely can't stand the thought of getting beat once in a while, find something else to do, and I'd bet it wouldn't be long before you got beat at that, it happens in everything! Bob

TQ29m (Offline)
  #35 3/10/15 1:41 PM
DAD, the name of Greg's Company, is www.rushgears.com, I have my drawings almost done, to send to him for a quote, and also waiting on the new rules to be posted, lots of folks don't consider this a safety problem, but believe me, with these parts, travelling at these speeds, it isn't something I want to do halfast, some think a simple chain reduction would work, and it would, but where th hell ya gonna put it, do you want something like that between your feet, I don't, same with gears, even at a 20% reduction, you still have to find a SAFE place to put it. It's not quick and simple, as some would have you think. Too bad there aren't a lot of Model T Fords sitting in junk yards anymore, that's where the biggest part of home built quick changes came from, and we could use that same design for what we want to do! Bob

DAD (Offline)
  #36 3/10/15 4:16 PM
Bob

Think it was Franklin with them old ford center sections>>>>They just cut holes in the back end and welded the quick change adapter on the back and they were in business. Them old 3/4" stroker Flat Heads had a tendency to twist them little axle shafts off however. They might also be a bit heavy for these new 305 sprinters. I remember it was about I could do to move one around when I was a kid.

Honest Dad himself
TQ29m (Offline)
  #37 3/10/15 7:14 PM
I was referring to the planetary gears in the T transmission that were used by many for the in driveline quick change, it is also referred to as a sun gear, it has teeth on the inside, so if you put a drive gear inside, they all go the same direction, savy? Bob

DAD (Offline)
  #38 3/10/15 7:43 PM
Bob

One of them transmissions you shifted with your foot? We used sun gears in Quarter Midgets 6 to 1 reduction best I can remember but no planet gears>>>>I like your style kid!! Out of the box. Then we could put a band around it and have reverse.

Honest Dad himself
trannyman (Offline)
  #39 3/10/15 9:26 PM
WOOHOO!!finally a truthful post that we can agree on.
trannyman (Offline)
  #40 3/10/15 9:27 PM
Thanks Bob.