IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thoughts from a sprint car fan
5/24/19, 1:26 AM   #11
Re: Thoughts from a sprint car fan
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

I figured out a long time ago that I can find something to complain about at every race. I also realized that I wasn't the most fun person to go to a race with. Now I try to find the entertainment wherever I can. A few years back I went to a USAC CRA race that had one of the worst surfaces that I have ever seen. Guys just gave up on the racing surface and started running 4 wheels below the berm. Everybody bitched about how bad it was, I just laughed and said it was one of the most unforgettable races I have ever seen. If conversation lags I can bring it up at a party and people will quickly recall where they were sitting and how much of the track they could actually see. Racing may have been lousy, but we made memories!

5/24/19, 11:12 AM   #12
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

I think it is a society problem. The internet has vastly help this, but my point is, a lot of people seem to get some kind of self justification by being offend or angered by something. Forums and Facebook are full of unhappy people letting everyone who will read their drivel know just how displeased they are. Makes me wonder why some even bother getting out of bed in the morning.

Me I've got two dirt track races I'm going to this weekend. I don't care about car counts or if I'll get dirt in my beer. I'm going to go have a BLAST!

5/24/19, 12:11 PM   #13
captrat

All very interesting but do not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Remember most of the people on these sites are already fans, so I am not sure so-called complaining actually has much effect. There is a place for criticism and it is not synonymous with complaining.

1 member likes this post: chrismattlin
5/24/19, 1:27 PM   #14
revjimk

Ignore the negative comments! You enjoyed racing before the Internet even existed, right?

3 members like this post: Chief Wahoo, luckybuc97, oppweld
5/24/19, 1:51 PM   #15
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

I'm not the average fan, I have a track 10 minutes from my house I haven't been to in 5 years. I'd rather drive 4 1/2 hrs to Terre Haute to watch 20 cars. I'd drive 6 hours to Haubstadt just to see hot laps. People have gotten spoiled when we get a run of big fields and epic races and think that is the baseline standard. They all ain't perfect but the Indiana open wheel scene is always great.

3 members like this post: Chief Wahoo, Pat O'Connor Fan, PIT CART
5/25/19, 11:30 AM   #16
haubstadtlover

You forgot Track Prep sucks, too dusty, parked the water truck, too wet, dry slick, track farming, tractor show too long even though track made perfect for feature etc.

5/25/19, 11:49 AM   #17
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
Ignore the negative comments! You enjoyed racing before the Internet even existed, right?
Yes, to some folks, even a new rope wouldn't be good enough, it's like the guy said, "you pay your money, and you take your chances". How many times have I done that, lots, but somehow I always felt like I got my monies worth! Bob

1 member likes this post: oppweld
5/25/19, 1:01 PM   #18
Can26

Do you know whats wrong with sprintcar racing nowdays? Fans....
They seam to think the whole program is all about them!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thoughts from a sprint car fan