IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
ronmil (Online)
  #1 8/17/20 4:05 PM
I had heard rumors recently that the Fairground property is privately owned and doesn't receive support from any government entity. That is indeed a fact, as I found out during a casual conversation with an employee of the fairgrounds. It is not owned by any one person, but rather a group of twenty or so. The money recently collected from parking fees is going to be spent on an additional ten lights in the turn three-four area.
In regards to the lack of handrails in the grandstand, I was told that the group probably have written a not responsible for any injury, attend at your own risk clause into their contract.
As for the racing program itself, it wasn't bad, but dust and the low angle of the sun at certain points made it difficult to see. No problem with social distancing due to the size of the crowd. I even saw a few masks.

Ron Miller
6 Likes: duel, EBookerFan, jim goerge, oppweld, racegal, Rapid Rick
Racer12 (Offline)
  #2 8/17/20 4:30 PM
Where is this?

Bob
Andrew S. Quinn (Offline)
  #3 8/17/20 4:31 PM
Terre Haute
Racer12 (Offline)
  #4 8/17/20 6:09 PM
Ok, that is the Vigo Co fairgrounds.

Bob
Grocery Guy (Offline)
  #5 8/17/20 6:21 PM
Good to hear they are investing $$$ into the race track. I surely needs it. I hope they will consider improvements to the sound system. You can barely hear anything as you get towards the 4th turn.

Thanks for the updates.
2 Likes: Chief Wahoo, jim goerge
trackenterprises (Offline)
  #6 8/17/20 6:21 PM
It's the Wabash Valley Fairgrounds which holds the Vigo County Fair. A lot to remember!
5 Likes: EBookerFan, jim goerge, Ken Bonnema, oppweld, ronmil
captrat (Offline)
  #7 8/17/20 7:01 PM
Originally Posted by ronmil:
I had heard rumors recently that the Fairground property is privately owned and doesn't receive support from any government entity. That is indeed a fact, as I found out during a casual conversation with an employee of the fairgrounds. It is not owned by any one person, but rather a group of twenty or so. The money recently collected from parking fees is going to be spent on an additional ten lights in the turn three-four area.
In regards to the lack of handrails in the grandstand, I was told that the group probably have written a not responsible for any injury, attend at your own risk clause into their contract.
As for the racing program itself, it wasn't bad, but dust and the low angle of the sun at certain points made it difficult to see. No problem with social distancing due to the size of the crowd. I even saw a few masks.

Found out the surprising ownership structure 2 years ago.
2 Likes: jim goerge, ronmil
Rapid Rick (Offline)
  #8 8/17/20 9:04 PM
Thanks for posting this Ron. Don't feel so bad paying that $5 parking fee. As long as the Action Track outlives me I will be a happy race fan.
4 Likes: jim goerge, Ken Bonnema, ronmil, spicoli
ronmil (Online)
  #9 8/17/20 9:17 PM
Originally Posted by Rapid Rick:
Thanks for posting this Ron. Don't feel so bad paying that $5 parking fee. As long as the Action Track outlives me I will be a happy race fan.
Actually I didn’t pay it because it was not being collected when I arrived.

Ron Miller
3 Likes: jim goerge, Josh Spencer, Ken Bonnema
B99 (Offline)
  #10 8/18/20 10:17 AM
There is more than one county fair in Illinois that is privately run.