IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Champaign co. Fair war non-wing race: Calling all drivers!
7/14/17, 1:29 PM   #1
Champaign co. Fair war non-wing race: Calling all drivers!
victory_rising99

Just 1 week away and we are dying to see some non-wing goodness here in Illinois at the Champaign Co. WAR fair race Friday July 21st! Would love to see some Indiana shoes roll into this event! Any word on who may be attending? Lets get the ball rolling and get an awesome car and fan count for this show! We need more non-wing in Illinois!

7/14/17, 2:51 PM   #2
Re: Champaign co. Fair war non-wing race: Calling all driver
ISF

Would this be a 1/4 mile with no walls inside of what appears to be a 1/2 mile horse track. Would auto racing have been held on the 1/2 mile many years ago?

Either way we'll be there but if it's the same venue we have some memories of racing there in the past that should make this event very nostalgic for us.

2 members like this post: erich45, victory_rising99
7/14/17, 3:40 PM   #3
erich45

Saw a number of races on the half mile '60s & '70s. Don't remember the quarter, but Allen Brown's "History of America's Speedways" says there was one there.
There was also Champaign Motor Speedway, aka Twin City Speedway, that had a quarter inside a half. Only lasted from '73 until '79, I believe.

2 members like this post: ISF, victory_rising99
7/14/17, 4:04 PM   #4
victory_rising99

Yes it is the quarter mile that they got going now. Praying they have a good turn out of cars and fans. Would love to see more and more non-wing excitement here in Illinois! There is always something nostalgic about fair events too which makes for a cool atmosphere!

4 members like this post: erich45, oppweld, spicoli, WinglessLovers
7/14/17, 11:55 PM   #5
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by erich45 View Post
Saw a number of races on the half mile '60s & '70s. Don't remember the quarter, but Allen Brown's "History of America's Speedways" says there was one there.
There was also Champaign Motor Speedway, aka Twin City Speedway, that had a quarter inside a half. Only lasted from '73 until '79, I believe.
I have found conflicting accounts of what is known as Champaign Motor Speedway. Ultimate Racing History has race results from as far back as 1959 and as recent as 1975 at a track known as Champaign Motor Speedway. I'm not sure what track that would have been but I do remember the speedway near Fisher, Illinois, which is north and a little west of Champaign-Urbana. It was a big half mile that I believe went by Champaign Motor Speedway, as well. The track near Fisher was open throughout most of the time I was in college. A couple of us ventured up to that track from C-U for an event or two during the brief time it was open.

Obscure remnants of the track near Fisher, Illinois can still be seen if you know where to look.

I was not aware that there was another track besides the fairgrounds and Fisher. If someone knows the whole story regarding these tracks please enlighten us.

7/15/17, 1:12 AM   #6
erich45

ISF, I think we're talking about the same place, as the location was listed on Dewey- Fisher Road. Info I have is first race 9/23/73,
last race 4/14/79, torn down spring 1980. Recent aerial photos show remnants of the track, but photos from 1969 show farm land.
I was there maybe 5-6 times, including the night Dick Gaines suffered his career ending injuries.
Looking at the Ultimate Racing History site, I think the '59,'60, &'61 results shown are actually from the Fairgrounds.
Last edited by erich45; 7/15/17 at 1:58 AM.

7/15/17, 8:33 AM   #7
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by erich45 View Post
ISF, I think we're talking about the same place, as the location was listed on Dewey- Fisher Road. Info I have is first race 9/23/73,
last race 4/14/79, torn down spring 1980. Recent aerial photos show remnants of the track, but photos from 1969 show farm land.
I was there maybe 5-6 times, including the night Dick Gaines suffered his career ending injuries.
Looking at the Ultimate Racing History site, I think the '59,'60, &'61 results shown are actually from the Fairgrounds.
I think you're probably correct on all counts. Thanks for the clarifications.

They held a couple of fairly big late model races at the track near Fisher. A driver from very near my home who I knew well was one of the hot dogs of that era and he competed in a couple of relatively big races for that time and geographical area. I remember it being very fast. Scary fast, actually.

1 member likes this post: erich45
7/16/17, 12:02 PM   #8
Grocery Guy

Race Count This Year: 6

Guys, thanks for the info about the dirt track near Fisher, IL. I always wondered about the history of that track, as it was definitely out in the country. Very few of my older friends knew anything about it. In May 1978 or 79 (?), I went to see a Sunday afternoon race at that track that was being tape delayed for TV, maybe NBC? My girl friend and I actually got on camera that day. I'm pretty sure it was a World of Outlaw race, as it was a winged race on the big half mile. I remember the pits being jammed with cars. Love thinking about the old days.

7/16/17, 12:50 PM   #9
sprinter31

I was there in 74 or 75 for the Il. State Championship for LM and Sprint cars. I still got a program I will have to dig it out, but I remember it was a huge track. We are planning on coming over and running with WAR on Friday night.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/16/17, 1:35 PM   #10
popham

I seen a few sprint races there. It was straight north of Champaign alittle east of interstate 57. Seen Sammy Swindell in the Fed Ex car I believe, Ferkel in the 0, pretty sure Steve Kinser was there in the 11 of Karl Kinser.
Last edited by popham; 7/16/17 at 1:37 PM.

1 member likes this post: COURIER3
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Champaign co. Fair war non-wing race: Calling all drivers!