Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Last Offy
3/24/08, 12:30 PM   #11
Re: The Last Offy
Al Consoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman fan 50 View Post
Al, Had you ever been to Calistoga?
Joe R.
I've never been to a race west of IL, at least not that I remember. CA is too far to drive. I hate to fly (those darn wings ya know), so I only go as far as I think I can stand the drive.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
3/24/08, 1:43 PM   #12
Offy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
I DROVE FOR AJ WATSON AND SO DID THE LATE MEL CORNETT IN THE 70s
Duke, Duke, Duke.....he said competivily! LOL:applaud:

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
3/24/08, 1:53 PM   #13
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Right! I Set The Worlds Record For A 255ci. Offy At Winchester That Day!

3/24/08, 2:30 PM   #14
LEADERS EDGE

I think he can let go of the hand brake. It doesn't seem to help as much once the tires leave the ground.

The last Offy Midget I saw race in competition was a restored car that Roy Caruthers drove for someone at the Speedrome. He ran it a few nights. It was either the Mid 80's or early 90's. I forget how he finished with it, but he did run a feature in it I believe.

3/24/08, 3:23 PM   #15
CTtoPA

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 4

Just have someone enter an Offy in an event, run one lap, and pull off. That way everyone knows when an Offy last ran.

Connecticut apparently had some good midget tracks by the shore in the 30s and 40s. Candlelight Stadium and West Haven Speedway I believe were two. Jeep Colkitt died at Candlelight in 1948. My great-grandfather used to race there. Ive just never been able to find results from that far back.

3/24/08, 4:02 PM   #16
IRS Agent

O.M.G.!!! They paved Stafford? Next thing you'll be telling me they don't run quarter midgets in Meridan and Manchester, or that the coupes are gone from Riverside two nights a week any more.

3/24/08, 4:57 PM   #17
RACEADDICT

As far as I know my father Roger Branson drove the last Midget offy in competition as late as 89 or 90. A car owned first by Les Harshbarger from Fairfield IL and then later his son Jack. It was a black and whit number 5jr. sponsored by Gain Wire Line & service co. Loved the sound of that old car. If memory serves me correct Mr. Gain still has the car and restored it into a street show car.

Chad Branson #71

3/24/08, 8:30 PM   #18
Sprint Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Consoli View Post
It would be interesting (but not useful ) to know exactly when the last Offy powered sprinter ran competitively.
The last Offy sprinter I remember seeing was at the Springfield mile in, (I think) 1977 or 78 I can't tell you who it was, but I remember Butch Wilkerson won that day, his pupils were as big as half dollars!
:eek:

I remember seeing him at the payoff window and he couldn't even stand still! Must have been the adrenalin from running on the mile!
:rolleyes:

But I can still hear that offy going down the front stretch if I close my eyes.........sweet!
:thumb

3/24/08, 8:53 PM   #19
Dwight Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRS Agent View Post
O.M.G.!!! They paved Stafford? Next thing you'll be telling me they don't run quarter midgets in Meridan and Manchester, or that the coupes are gone from Riverside two nights a week any more.
:O:...Yes, they paved it. But I have a Stafford program from 1949 when it was still a Fairgrounds dirt 1/2 mile.

3/25/08, 2:02 AM   #20
Tripcrwn

Stan and Dick Vermeil are the sons of the late NARC President Lou Vermeil. This year the traditional sprint cars (USAC/CRA) will be running a two-day show at the famed Calistoga half-mile in honor of Lou Vermeil, who I believe was one of the founders of the Northern California race club and served as its president for several years. I believe that both Stan and Dick are very heavily involved in the promotion of this race as is Steve Howard of SoCal Performance in Downey, CA. Its been something like 25 years since non-wing sprinters have run at this historic track. Should be a great Labor Day weekend.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Last Offy