IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Take a lap around the NEW IMS Dirt Track.
8/15/18, 3:12 PM   #1
Take a lap around the NEW IMS Dirt Track.
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Take a lap around the NEW IMS Dirt Track.

https://www.facebook.com/usacracing/...81163189150727

8/15/18, 3:51 PM   #2
Re: Take a lap around the NEW IMS Dirt Track.
Stevensville Mike

By the way the video looks right now, there will be no wall between outer side of the dirt track and the main grandstand outside of Turn 3 (Turn 3 of the 2.5 mile track). The remainder of the dirt track is walled. Another grandstand, however, will be erected on the inner side of the dirt track and called the Shaw Grandstand.

Now, which side will be the frontstretch and which the backstretch is not evident, but I am guessing the side with the Shaw Grandstand will be the frontstretch.

Thanks for the post, 1012.

Map: https://www.indianapolismotorspeedwa...ac_pricing_map
Last edited by Stevensville Mike; 8/15/18 at 3:52 PM.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, TNRustler
8/15/18, 4:33 PM   #3
hoosier race fan

I would imagine the gap in the wall will serve as an entry and exit lane for cars to and from the track, while also providing a less obstructed view of the track for fans sitting in the bleachers all the way on the outside of turn 3 of IMS.

I still wish they would have built it inside of turn one and called it Snake Pit Speedway at IMS.
Last edited by hoosier race fan; 8/15/18 at 4:35 PM.

8/15/18, 4:44 PM   #4
racefan20

If you are going to be sitting in the NE Vista you better have some good binoculars. Dont understand why they have parking in the North 40 rather than right next to the track.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

2 members like this post: jim goerge, luckybuc97
8/15/18, 7:51 PM   #5
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
If you are going to be sitting in the NE Vista you better have some good binoculars. Dont understand why they have parking in the North 40 rather than right next to the track.
Probably because of all the cars that will be pitted there. With the open side they will not be able to park haulers real close.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
8/15/18, 9:18 PM   #6
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
Probably because of all the cars that will be pitted there. With the open side they will not be able to park haulers real close.
It shows the pits on the map I clicked on and its on the right side looking from the infield. There are several acres of open space on the left where they park cars for the indy and brickyard races, that where I thought they had room for parking. Between the track and the road that goes under the short chute. Either way if you arent in the grandstand next to the track then you are not gonna see much. Also I would hate to end up crashing into the concrete at the end of the open area where the wall starts again, hopefully they are going to put something there to protect them from that.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

8/16/18, 5:53 AM   #7
BrentTFunk

I am sure they will. They are going to have 5000 seats in the infield, that is a lot of seats for a midget race. As for the wall I am sure they will make it safe. These people have a lot of experience at that kind of stuff. I thought it looked pretty good.

4 members like this post: Bobv, dirt330, i love dirt track racing, racing2a
8/16/18, 6:10 PM   #8
BrentTFunk

I did some snooping around today. The wall will be continued only it will be temporary. Looks like it will be kind of like Kokomo or Plymouth's backstretch.

1 member likes this post: racefan20
8/16/18, 7:23 PM   #9
BrentTFunk

Also was told the top will be a little higher banked , but had to be flattened to work on the catch fence.

8/17/18, 10:39 AM   #10
Stevensville Mike

Why even have a wall in Turns 3 & 4? What is there to hit? Just have a flat frontstretch wall. An w/o a wall there, the Turn 3 big grandstand will have a better view.

I can see 1 & 2 being walled - the pit area is back there.

But... it's not my dollar.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Take a lap around the NEW IMS Dirt Track.