IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > When's the last time a Buick won a USAC Race?
7/27/18, 3:03 AM   #1
When's the last time a Buick won a USAC Race?
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Yeah t was just a heat race but Jordan Kinser won a heat tonight in what Im told is a buick

Last one I know to do it was Vogler with his Buick Deal with Hoffmans pavement car, Which also at that time Rich had a free tire deal, and a home built frame, So HAR's Pavement program ran on peanuts during them couple years.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
7/27/18, 8:35 AM   #2
motorhead748

I don't know what he's running but I wonder if that isn't a Buick headed Chevy. Many years ago there some heads available for the Chevy block that were branded Buick. I wouldn't have thought anyone would still be running those but who knows.

1 member likes this post: usac1957
7/27/18, 10:30 AM   #3
Midget98

The Buick head is actually a phenomenal head. It was perfected by Brayton Engineering when they were building midget engines and was bolted up to a Gaerte Rodeck block. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see these heads still running competitively. As for a Buick powerplant though, I believe the head was about the extent of it.

2 members like this post: HurstBros0, motorhead748
7/27/18, 10:42 AM   #4
Re: When's the last time a Buick won a USAC Race?
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midget98 View Post
The Buick head is actually a phenomenal head. It was perfected by Brayton Engineering when they were building midget engines and was bolted up to a Gaerte Rodeck block. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see these heads still running competitively. As for a Buick powerplant though, I believe the head was about the extent of it.
I seen the headers Sunday at Burg and thought it might be a Ford with the even spacing of the exhaust ports.

2 members like this post: PIT CART, skids59
7/27/18, 12:23 PM   #5
Hustlin-Hoosier

Race Count Last Year: 22

Brodix also made a Pontiac Head for a Chevy Block and if Im not mistakened, Dave and the Boys had an engine with them on it.
Believe Tony Reed also ran one at Paragon. Just sayin.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, HurstBros0
7/27/18, 4:09 PM   #6
Re: When's the last time a Buick won a USAC Race?
Charles Nungester

Found this on Hurst Bro's Facebook page

The Hurst Bros. will travel east to the friendly confines of Lawrenceburg Speedway this sunny June 2 2018. T-shirts will be available. John is getting his oil "seeps" squared away on the old Buick. For those who have asked, Buick, Brodix and Earl Gaerte developed these heads in the late 1980`s. They were not well accepted by sanctioning bodies at that time. Chevrolet picked up on the idea and used them to develop the LS1 head. We call them a Buick but what they really are is the fore runner to the LS1. Just a side note, those injectors are Kinsler serial number 001.

5 members like this post: chrismattlin, dstensland, dwhitney1169, Kinser11, superstock30
7/27/18, 4:48 PM   #7
Midget98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I seen the headers Sunday at Burg and thought it might be a Ford with the even spacing of the exhaust ports.
That's the one. The intake runners are actually so big that they are usually epoxied and smoothed out to increase velocity. They were/are also used on the drag racing scene.

7/27/18, 11:25 PM   #8
btg1963

Great to see a Kinser in victory lane during Sprint Week.... even if it was just a heat race.

7/28/18, 3:55 PM   #9
superstock30

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 15+

I looked in a Chevrolet performance book that I have in my shop. Dont quote me I don't have the book right here, but I'm pretty sure these heads are 10* with 280cc intake runners!!!! If that is true these heads would breathe like crazy!

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/29/18, 1:39 AM   #10
Chase Hightower

Hurst’s are very intelligent! They can do almost anything with nothing. Not saying that they don’t have “good” equipment! But, I’d say a very limited budget, and they are very well versed people tuning what they have and turning their own wrenches. I’m thrilled to see what they still are able to do through experience.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > When's the last time a Buick won a USAC Race?