IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Rt. 66 (IL) 4/27 - POWRi Sprint & Midgets $2K, Mods $3K, ECT
2/6/17, 12:16 AM   #1
Rt. 66 (IL) 4/27 - POWRi Sprint & Midgets $2K, Mods $3K, ECT
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Dirt Oval at Route 66 Raceway
Joliet, Illinois
Thursday, April 27th 2017
Season Opener
POWRi WAR Sprints $2,000 to win
POWRi Midgets $2,000 to win
UMP Modifieds $3,000 to win
POWRi DII Midgets $500 to win

4 members like this post: dirt40, oldfan49, Pat O'Connor Fan, SpfldMile
2/6/17, 1:21 PM   #2
Re: Rt. 66 (IL) 4/27 - POWRi Sprint & Midgets $2K, Mods $3K,
ISF

It appears that modified's are the headline division of this show.

Since when are POWRi National Midgets a support class?

2/6/17, 2:52 PM   #3
kendirt

I understand they're reconfiguring the track. What's it going to be comparable to?

Just thinking about gear for a chain-drive D2 car.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
2/6/17, 6:41 PM   #4
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendirt View Post
I understand they're reconfiguring the track. What's it going to be comparable to?

Just thinking about gear for a chain-drive D2 car.
From the pictures I saw, looks like a big 3/8ths. I can imagine too many Midgets teams driiving that far on a Thurs when they wouldn't go to Granite City right in their backyard.

2/6/17, 8:54 PM   #5
mscs20

Look for some of the Badger guys to come across the border. Sun Prairie is PowrI sanctioned.

1 member likes this post: pattonracing79
2/6/17, 11:44 PM   #6
cshuman

This should be a pretty cool show, at a top notch facility..

10 members like this post: ASM53, ISF, jzelinski15, LRP36, Midget4, mscs20, nathans1012, oppweld, SpfldMile, wlm
2/7/17, 1:43 AM   #7
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
It appears that modified's are the headline division of this show.

Since when are POWRi National Midgets a support class?

I'm not "agreeing" that they would be considered a "support class", but would bet there will be more Mods than POWRi NATIONAL midgets there...(NOT saying between the two midget classes running that night, there might be more "midgets" of any sort there tho...). Time will tell...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1 member likes this post: ISF
2/7/17, 11:16 AM   #8
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
I'm not "agreeing" that they would be considered a "support class", but would bet there will be more Mods than POWRi NATIONAL midgets there...(NOT saying between the two midget classes running that night, there might be more "midgets" of any sort there tho...). Time will tell...
Car count doesn't necessarily constitute what class is considered the headline division. Generally it's payout. There is no question there are many more modified's around the Midwest than just about any other class of racecars. With that said, in our neck of the woods (we're less than an hour from Route 66) the mods are nearly universal in their role as a support class and rarely are the headline division. No knock on the mods, just the way it is here.

I was merely taken aback a bit seeing they are the headliner of a show where POWRi National midgets are involved.

1 member likes this post: Pat O'Connor Fan
2/7/17, 6:51 PM   #9
Jonr

I sometimes think that the people on this board lose track of the forest because of all of the trees. While we can set here and discuss the merits of POWRi vs USAC, National midgets and D2 midgets, the casual fan normally cannot.

Most casual fans know what a modified is. Do we think that most casual fans know what a POWRi midget is?

Also, modified drivers will show up for an increased purse, and there are many multiples more modifieds than midgets. Time and time again, midget drivers have shown that money is not the most important item to them.
Last edited by Jonr; 2/7/17 at 6:54 PM.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
2/7/17, 9:37 PM   #10
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

Great to see the 'ol dirt track open back up. Hopefully the fans will come out and watch.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Rt. 66 (IL) 4/27 - POWRi Sprint & Midgets $2K, Mods $3K, ECT