IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > World Finals
11/5/12, 10:21 PM   #21
Re: World Finals
2fast4u

I hate this argument. Wing guys will always be good at eldora because they drive the car straight and keep up momentum. The million was those guys kind of track but guys like Russ Gamster and Brad Noffsinger (Eric Gordon one of my fav's) they accel at those type of tracks. Take the wing guys to haubstat or gas city without the wing against usac and see how they fair? They are all good! Why argue?

11/5/12, 10:34 PM   #22
SteveB31

This thread has become a wing/non wing debate, one that will never be solved. BOTH are better then any pavement racing.

I taped the WoO show, and bought the PPV internet of the Oval Nationals. Watched them both Saturday night back to back.

BOTH were great race nights. I wish I could have attended both in person.

Bottom line here, is no doubt BOTH wing and non wing sprint cars, (as well as midgets, lightning and mini sprints) are ALL more exciting then NASCAR, but................it all boils down to marketing. If we open wheel fans could somehow get someone to get these dirt open wheel divisions on TV in prime time, they would put NASCAR off the TV.

I had some friends over to show them both the Oval Nationals and the WoO show (and these friends are die hard Nascar fans), and boy did they understand why I like this dirt stuff. They pretty much said that Nascar was boring compared to both of the dirt sprint shows. (No $hit).

I drive lightning sprints (have never driven a midget or sprint), and we race winged (with the lightning sprints) and non winged (with the midgets) on the same night in the same car , and non wing is WAY more fun and much more of a workout.

I do agree with one previous post, that the winged cars are obviously better to market products simply because you can see more sponser space, but I also agree that the non wing cars are way more exciting to watch, but as the other post implied, they are BOTH way more exciting to watch then NASCAR. Thank God for youtube- something to do all winter while its snowing......

2 members like this post: dirt330, rachasin
11/5/12, 10:58 PM   #23
wideopen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCGR View Post
I will not say what I think about this comment because I am a Christian and almost cannot believe this statement until I saw who said it. Why are non wingers cursed with this guy? Anytime, Anywhere; our Top 10 Non Wingers against their Top 10 Wingers; both have to race both. We'll see who the names are then. I have to stop typing now because my Blood Pressure just hit 10,000 over 50,000.

Pete Gulick
Pete, With all do respect the Top 10 wing drivers would and will beat the Top 10 non-wing drivers 90% of the time Non-wing and 99.5% of the time with a wing... I can list a hundred reason why...or you can ask "our best" and they will tell you... to run with the WoO at tracks you see 2 times in one year at that level makes you THE BEST. When they run Non-wing they struggle at places like Kokomo and Gas City sure... but give them a day they are right there, give them a month its going to be a race..Take them to Eldora they WIN...put your top 10 in any WoO ride and see when get there first Win... Just sayn'

This option from a NON-wing driver from Ohio. Take it for what its worth.
Last edited by wideopen24; 11/6/12 at 2:01 AM.

2 members like this post: K-Dawg30, sprinter6
11/5/12, 11:07 PM   #24
K-Dawg30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideopen24 View Post
Pete, With all do respect the Top 10 wing drivers would and will beat the Top 10 non-wing drivers 90% of the time Non-wing and 99.5% of the time with a wing... I can list a hundred reason why...or you can ask "our best" and they will tell you... to run with the WoO at tracks you see 2 times in one year at that level makes you THE BEST. When they run Non-wing they struggle at places like Kokomo and Gas City sure... but give them a day they are right there, give them a month its going to be a race..Take them to Eldora they WIN...put you top 10 in any WoO ride and see when get there first Win... Just sayn'
This is SPOT ON! And Im a huge non wing fan! I am actually switching to wing in my micro this year because the competition level where I am at in non wing isnt as good AND any time a wing guy pulls the wings off they are fast....but most of the non wing guys cant put the wing on and be fast. I dont enjoy running the wing but for right now its what I have to do to get better.

11/5/12, 11:41 PM   #25
Puppy

What!? A winged vs non-wing argument?? Really?!? Of course we all know those winged cars just drive themseleves around the track!

11/6/12, 12:14 AM   #26
treecitytornado

Winged cars are locked down, much more than a Non-Wing car ever is, but the speed you carry with a Wing is awesome! On average a Winged car is at least 2 seconds a lap faster than a Non-Winged car. I love racing without the Wing, but would love to do some Winged racing this season if the budget allows.

Posted via Mobile Device

11/6/12, 2:03 AM   #27
jjones776

I went to the world finals just to have some fun and see some racing. I didn't expect much and to be honest I was looking forward to seeing the latemodels the most, but the WoO sprints put on the best show both nights. Some of the best racing I saw all year. I was very impressed! Those guys were getting after it!

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: TBONE
11/6/12, 8:14 AM   #28
dirt330

Went to World Finals 2 years ago, had a good time. With the cost of travel, hotels, meals and tickets I could have attended all of Indiana sprint week, and many more local Indiana tracks. This year I did just that. Had a much better time with what I believe was more quality racing and the best sprint car drivers, tracks and fans in the good old U.S

3 members like this post: havoline42, SCOTT M, TeamCGR
11/6/12, 9:30 AM   #29

Fact of the matter if wing cars were so easy to drive, everyone from Indiana would have been at Charlotte over the weekend. That race does alot to help get a sponsor. Also if wing cars were so easy to drive, that week of the Knoxville, every single top knotch driver would be out there to bring home the big payday. By the way, when was the last time a nonwinger won that race? With the money and TV exposure from that race, our guys would have to be there.

Plain and simple, I love racing. No matter if it has wings or not, I am glad to watch. I don't care what kind of racing it is, TV does not do it justice. Can not tell you how many races I have loved, and barely watched the leader. Normally the good racing is further back.

6 members like this post: Ch138, K-Dawg30, Puppy, rataz, scott bradley1x, TBONE
11/6/12, 7:17 PM   #30
Chubs Peterson

Both types of racing are awesome, but they are different and both have great and fearless drivers. Wish there was a way to do a combo show, that woud be huge. It does seem a winged driver does better in a nonwing car than vise versa but both have extremely talented shoes.
As far as the television coverage goes, winged sprints are run all over the country and many more people recognize them. Wingless racing, while just as exciting, is basically ran in Indiana and California. With SPEED looking for eyeballs, it seems to me it made the correct choice.

1 member likes this post: Puppy
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > World Finals