2/18/17, 9:17 PM   #31
FrankR63

Good interview with Tony on this in latest AARN

3 members like this post: dkdorkboy, KENDALLRACING, kinser
2/19/17, 9:36 AM   #32
65 Push Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
Contrary to you politically correct people, I believe drivers should work things out. That is one of the reasons why our sport has lost its character. When I grew up if you made a bone headed move, you better hope a tongue lashing is all you received. Like it or not, it put fans in the stands.
You don't think this happens today? You in the pits any these days? It happens on occasion. I saw a black eye during sprint week a couple years ago due to an incident in the pits. Sadly it was pit crew members for the most part. They came strutting over, they went limping back. I believe a crew chief got arrested a year or two ago at TSS after an incident in the pits. I know those "after race conversations" with a fellow competitor do take place, and opinions of ones driving ability and decisions are discussed, sometimes in a heated manor.

The issue today is a few thrown punches in the pits/grandstands can land a guy in jail, charges filed, and could face a fine or jail time. In the old days of Dick Gaines, and Bob Kinser etc, cops wouldn't even be called to or rarely in attendance at the races. Now all tracks have security/police on duty at the races to keep order on fans and those in the pits.

There is quite a bit of character in our drivers today, you just gotta look closer. They are a bit more subtle, but it still happens. They all have that competitive nature inside them, that drives them to compete, and those emotions spill over at times.

5 members like this post: captrat, JordanBlanton, Jsr7s, mc/rider, trannyman
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Smoke