IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Laying an engine over question
2/16/17, 3:58 PM   #1
Laying an engine over question
bzneil

When a an engine is laid over to the side like in a super modified and some of the older pavement sprint cars, does oil end up pooling up in the left side valve cover enough to need an oil line from the valve cover to the dry sump pan? I have been looking at pics of the supers and I don't see an oil line but it is hard to tell.
Thanks!

2/16/17, 6:18 PM   #2
Re: Laying an engine over question
TQ29m

I saw a V860 one time, mounted up side down in a midget, they said they did it to get the cg lower, I thought then, I've seen everything, but it worked great, yeh, it smoked like a radial engine on the startup, they moved the carbs to the top, oil pan, plus they said, it was easier to get the engine out, just unbolt it, and lift the frame up! Saw a lot of Ranger engines turned right side up, they ran well, when we laid down the diesel, in the Cummins diesel for Indy, I don't recall any troubles with the oil getting all upset, the oil pickup was on the bottom side, and the engine wasn't really flat, close, but not 0*, might be a good idea to think ahead, and make provisions for it, but giver a shot. Dry sump gives you a lot of options. Bob

2/16/17, 10:35 PM   #3
red70racer

Yes, every one I've had laid over had an external drain back to the pan
Dry sump & wet sump

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Laying an engine over question