IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
terrehautian (Offline)
  #1 7/26/11 1:50 PM
And if this has been posted, I two searches with two different key words and nothing came up.

‪...
Normally I would post NASCRAP stuff, but this is great.

Loved the Ricky Bobby References. The great part is that his prayer got people talking about church and not in a bad way.

Some after thought articles.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/0...e-nascar-race/

Pastor Defends Calling Wife 'Smokin' Hot' in Prayer Before NASCAR Race
By Colby Hochmuth

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/0...e-nascar-race/

Originally Posted by :
Later, in an interview Monday with Sirius Satellite Radio’s “Tradin’ Paint,” Nelms said he didn’t want to do “cookie-cutter prayers.”
“I want to get somebody’s attention, so that’s been our desire every time we’ve been up there, to try to make an impact on the fans and give them something they’ll remember, and maybe they’ll go home on a Friday night or a Saturday night and say, 'Maybe I ought to get up and go to church in the morning,'" Nelms said.
Carl Edwards thoughts about the prayer.

Originally Posted by :
“I turned to Jack (Roush) after that. I said, ‘If anything happens, I want him to be at my funeral.’ That was one of the best invocations I have ever heard,” Edwards said.
Shawn Harper (Offline)
  #2 7/26/11 2:02 PM
Amen!
Flatrightrear (Offline)
  #3 7/26/11 4:54 PM
I thought it was shameful. "Be not deceived. God is not mocked." Prayer is serious business and this was a Saturday Night Live sketch gone bad, IMO.
5 Likes: BrentTFunk, Midget 89, Need For Speed, PJ Wright, REH24
illinisprintfan (Offline)
  #4 7/26/11 5:26 PM
Originally Posted by Flatrightrear:
I thought it was shameful. "Be not deceived. God is not mocked." Prayer is serious business and this was a Saturday Night Live sketch gone bad, IMO.
I have to agree. From his comments later he said he was just trying to give the fans a prayer to remember, but still. I thought it was not appropriate for a pre race prayer. It came across to me as mocking and not at all what you would expect a pastor to deliver. At no point did he ask for safety for the drivers, crews and fans. If he wanted to add "Boogity" at the end, then whatever, but I just thought he went too far. Other people have their opinion and that is fine, but I just think he concentrated too much on entertaining and not enough, if at all, at genuine prayer to God.
3 Likes: Need For Speed, PJ Wright, REH24
jim goerge (Offline)
  #5 7/26/11 5:30 PM
Man I don:t see a thing wrong with that! He sure got the crowd in to it and the drivers liked it
2 Likes: Barney, buck2
REH24 (Offline)
  #6 7/26/11 6:04 PM
IMO was very distasteful and disrespectful. I look at it as a small town, small church preacher who was probably in the national lime light for the first time of his life and took an advantage of it by mocking what he believes in, after all Judas was a follower of Christ. Of all the fans that thought it was cool and funny how many of them will/would actually go and sit in his church or any other on Sunday, very few, all he did was lower himself. It all right to have a little levity in the pulpit but when it comes to a prayer I think there should be a little respect shown just like the singing of the National Athem. As for his "Hot Mama" take a look, I guess it upon the eyes of the beholder. http://www.familybaptistchurchlebanon.org/default.htm

REH
racerdog45
  #7 7/26/11 6:04 PM
shameful, but then again considering how often NASCAR destroys the National Anthem during pre-race it doesn't surprise me. IMHO the "pastor" was playing to the fans and trying to make himself a "star"......
2 Likes: Need For Speed, REH24
Bostonian (Offline)
  #8 7/26/11 6:14 PM
Originally Posted by Flatrightrear:
BINGO!!!!!

This is what I think about it,

:2:
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #9 7/26/11 6:30 PM
[QUOTE=REH24;244274]IMO was very distasteful and disrespectful. I look at it as a small town, small church preacher who was probably in the national lime light for the first time of his life and took an advantage of it by mocking what he believes in, after all Judas was a follower of Christ. Of all the fans that thought it was cool and funny how many of them will/would actually go and sit in his church or any other on Sunday, very few, all he did was lower himself. It all right to have a little levity in the pulpit but when it comes to a prayer I think there should be a little respect shown just like the singing of the National Athem. As for his "Hot Mama" take a look, I guess it upon the eyes of the beholder. http://www.familybaptistchurchlebanon.org/default.htm

REH[/QU
Thanks for the link, I checked it out. Maybe he was talking about his girl on the side.
2 Likes: Modocer 57, SprintManDave
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #10 7/26/11 7:33 PM
I think some of you may be taking these comments out of context. Religious circles nowadays encompass much larger demographic areas and are much more forgiving than the old fire and brimstone days.
4 Likes: Barney, buck2, jim goerge, LocalYokel