IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Would Indy Car Drivers Race on
6/22/18, 4:13 PM   #1
Would Indy Car Drivers Race on
Vookie

https://racer.com/2018/06/22/racer-v...ims-dirt-oval/

6/22/18, 4:41 PM   #2
i love dirt track racing

Good stuff. Thanks. Lol.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Pat O'Connor Fan
6/22/18, 9:06 PM   #3
JarrettFarms73

Gabby Chavez might be my new favorite indycar driver.

3 members like this post: badcoupe, jjones752, Pat O'Connor Fan
6/22/18, 9:49 PM   #4
Re: Would Indy Car Drivers Race on
hoosier race fan

Speaking of tracks indycar drivers race on (segue...), with Phoenix off the schedule next year, where will they go to fill out the schedule? No WG, no Phoenix, so what would make sense? I’m sure ******** plays a role. Maybe the Charlotte Roval?

6/22/18, 9:55 PM   #5
Brickyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier race fan View Post
Speaking of tracks indycar drivers race on (segue...), with Phoenix off the schedule next year, where will they go to fill out the schedule? No WG, no Phoenix, so what would make sense? I’m sure ******** plays a role. Maybe the Charlotte Roval?
They say they are talking to other ISC tracks, which could mean Homestead or Auto Club. Richmond would be too close to the Cup date to fill that slot. ISC tracks like WGI, Michigan, etc aren't going to work for March/April. There has also been apparent talks with Laguna Seca. WGI wants a fall date, IIRC.
Last edited by Brickyard; 6/22/18 at 10:06 PM.

6/23/18, 11:44 AM   #6
SPRINTCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickyard View Post
They say they are talking to other ISC tracks, which could mean Homestead or Auto Club. Richmond would be too close to the Cup date to fill that slot. ISC tracks like WGI, Michigan, etc aren't going to work for March/April. There has also been apparent talks with Laguna Seca. WGI wants a fall date, IIRC.
Kentucky, it has been repaved and is fast.

1 member likes this post: chrismattlin
6/23/18, 4:00 PM   #7
Brickyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRINTCAR View Post
Kentucky, it has been repaved and is fast.

If it wasn't replacing a date in late March through early April. The only place KY can fit is August or September. The other problem is finding a sponsor for that race.

I'm reading comments from some in the Phoenix area that the IC race wasn't well promoted by the track.

But, this is another fine example of why I just will never understand why people supported the split. Yep, really saved the ovals didn't we? The series is now down to one less oval than CART had on the 1995 schedule. Had that ugly chapter never have happened the series might still have many of these places by the balls. Michigan would rather host concerts than take on an IndyCar race.
Last edited by Brickyard; 6/23/18 at 4:06 PM.

6/24/18, 3:03 AM   #8
jdull99

Quote:
If it wasn't replacing a date in late March through early April. The only place KY can fit is August or September. The other problem is finding a sponsor for that race.

I'm reading comments from some in the Phoenix area that the IC race wasn't well promoted by the track.

But, this is another fine example of why I just will never understand why people supported the split. Yep, really saved the ovals didn't we? The series is now down to one less oval than CART had on the 1995 schedule. Had that ugly chapter never have happened the series might still have many of these places by the balls. Michigan would rather host concerts than take on an IndyCar race.
Cuz it gave: Tony Stewart, Billy Boat, Donnie Beechler, Kimmy Kite, Davey Hamilton, JJ Yeley, Andy Michner, Jack Hewitt, Steve Kinser, Ronnie Johncock, Jeff Ward, Ricky Treadway, Andy Hillenburg, Mark Dismore, Stevie Reeves, and many more at least ONE shot at the 500 or a race on the IRL sched (some on my list DID have a chance in the CART years, but not in rides that some of these on the list, were able to be competitive in, as they were from 96-01)...nothing like that (SC@M/OW/dirt racers) had happened in the lifetime of many & will never again...all actual Indy car fans (of what the sport is now) can hope is with NASCAR's demise, they will (keep) scheduling races so TV viewers can watch both & ratings will maybe flat-line so someday Indycar can match Cup #s again (both lower than were need to be...but TV viewing is so complicated now...). I really wish there were less NASKAR races & it was 100% never any overlap, but seems like there is at least some effort (like today, Elkart Lake runs early & Cup is on in the mid-afternoon)...stuff like that does make sense...there are only so many race fans to go around...I think the actual % of IoW readers that follow the latest form of "major leaque OW" racing (on "TV") is pretty low (maybe cuz lack of connection to the drivers, but prolly much has to do with the fact they are AT local races!); but interest has to come from somewhere...at least (it appears) 500 ticket sales have been good the last few years...time will tell what is left in like 20-30 years...lol
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)
Last edited by jdull99; 6/24/18 at 3:05 AM.

2 members like this post: mc/rider, wright59
6/24/18, 10:16 AM   #9
BrentTFunk

Quote:

But, this is another fine example of why I just will never understand why people supported the split.
Whether we admit it or not the split happened when CART split from USAC. It just continued with the formation of the Indy Racing League. A lot of the reason why Indy Cars are not on many ovals, is the 2 groups that control almost all of them are not interested. If Penske still owned California and Michigan, I would bet they would still run there.

6/24/18, 12:21 PM   #10
Brickyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
Whether we admit it or not the split happened when CART split from USAC. It just continued with the formation of the Indy Racing League. A lot of the reason why Indy Cars are not on many ovals, is the 2 groups that control almost all of them are not interested. If Penske still owned California and Michigan, I would bet they would still run there.
Has more to do with a crowd of 5,000, a cat, couple of dogs, a few roosters, and 10 rats showing up than not wanting to do them. This was one of the very complaints made during the first split in regards to promotion, audience, etc. Miles has repeatedly said it does nothing to grow the sport, and I agree with the him and guy knows what he is doing, to show up and present to a national audience, especially with this new TV contract, when you have 5 freaking people in the stands.

That second split killed any momentum gained, even the 500 took a big hit. Took these guys out of the spotlight. Yea, you got to see some local heroes run the 500, but at a huge cost. As much respect as I have for drivers like Kinser, they were never going to garner the attention of someone like an Alonso.
Last edited by Brickyard; 6/24/18 at 12:22 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Would Indy Car Drivers Race on