IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloomington Speedway To Pay Tribute to Calvin Gilstrap on Fr
6/10/18, 7:40 PM   #1
Bloomington Speedway To Pay Tribute to Calvin Gilstrap on Fr
Bloomington Speedway

A special tribute to the late Calvin Gilstrap will be included in Friday’s racing program at Bloomington Speedway. Gilstrap is remembered as one of the best to ever push off on the red clay, during an era when drivers had to be as tough as nails, and just as skilled in handling the racing machines of the day. Gilstrap lost his life while racing on the Bloomington oval in 1976.

Members of Calvin’s family will participate in Friday’s tribute and in his honor, they have posted a $1,000 bonus for the winner of the night’s non-wing sprint car feature. Additionally Ohio’s Sham Kiser is planning to bring the #19 Maude Smith sprinter that Gilstrap wheeled to much success for display. It is certain to be an evening of great bench racing.

This fits in well with Friday’s program as in addition to the Tom White & Company Real Estate Sprint Cars, the historic cars of the American Vintage Sprint Car Association (AVSCA) will be in action. The Green Earth Recycling and Composting RaceSaver Sprint Cars and Brandeis Machinery Super Stocks are also competing.

Friday is also the second HARF night of the season at Bloomington, with Hoosier Auto Racing Fans receiving $7.00 off general admission when presenting a current membership card. General admission is only $15, with kids 12 and under admitted free with an adult. Pit passes are $30. The gates will open at 5:30, hot laps beginning at 6:30 and racing at 7:30. The pit gate will open at 4:30.

6/11/18, 8:07 PM   #2
Re: Bloomington Speedway To Pay Tribute to Calvin Gilstrap o
smith19

I know it's hard to believe but it's been since 1976 since I've been to bloomington. my granny was the owner of the red #19 gilstrap drove in 1975-76. I think the smith-gilstrap and wrench red McCourt were a pretty good combo at Bloomington in those days. I think i'll go back Friday to pay respect to an old friend...hope to see everyone there.
Last edited by smith19; 6/14/18 at 6:14 PM.

6/13/18, 4:42 PM   #3
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I wonder if you can use the rain check from midget week and receive a refund for the difference in price? That seems logical and I believe most tracks do that. It is also HARF night with $7 off each ticket.

6/13/18, 7:19 PM   #4
KingRandomUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
I wonder if you can use the rain check from midget week and receive a refund for the difference in price? That seems logical and I believe most tracks do that. It is also HARF night with $7 off each ticket.
Yes, they announced this last week you will get a refund of the difference if you use the Midget Week ticket on a lower cost event. Or trade it evenly for the Sprint Week event.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, ronmil, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloomington Speedway To Pay Tribute to Calvin Gilstrap on Fr