IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 2018 USAC National Schedule
12/11/17, 11:10 AM   #11
Re: 2018 USAC National Schedule
Simon_says17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 17

The December race in Du Quoin is on a Friday next year???

1 member likes this post: jdull99
12/12/17, 1:23 AM   #12
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_says17 View Post
Maybe in case it rains out...lol.

Actually I'm surprised this hasn't gone to a 2-day show yet.
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

12/12/17, 11:45 AM   #13
ISF

The Du Quoin December 2018 race could have been moved to Friday night due to the 3 night indoor mud taxi race over in St. Louis that was scheduled against Du Quoin both last year and again this year. There is no other reason that comes to mind that presents itself to move it from Saturday to Friday.

There are very few fans and even less drivers who would have to choose one over the other either way but there must be some reason.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
12/12/17, 12:01 PM   #14
Rpracing1

Quote:
Friday leaves me and several others out then.

12/12/17, 12:08 PM   #15
Simon_says17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
The Du Quoin December 2018 race could have been moved to Friday night due to the 3 night indoor mud taxi race over in St. Louis that was scheduled against Du Quoin both last year and again this year. There is no other reason that comes to mind that presents itself to move it from Saturday to Friday.

There are very few fans and even less drivers who would have to choose one over the other either way but there must be some reason.
Yeah I guess that makes sense but at the same time, I didn't notice any drop off in fans last year. I'm sure there were some that might usually go to Du Quoin just because it was the only racing going on that went to Stl, but I wouldn't think that would be many. The people going to Du Quoin in the 1st place generally were pretty hardcore open wheel fans IMO. And what about the drivers who work during the week and guys who travel for this race?

This just makes it harder for the people who work M-F and actually want to go and DO go every year, to continue to do that. Now i'll have to take a vacation day or not go at all. Maybe i'm wrong but to me scheduling it on a Friday would take away more fans and drivers, than scheduling it against a LM-Mod show. I live 10 minutes from STL and I might go on Friday to the Dome race but there is no question that i'll be in Du Quoin on Saturday.

12/12/17, 2:26 PM   #16
ISF

I would agree, Simon. The cross over of fans and/or drivers between the events would be minimal. The only dirt late model driver I know of that is passing on the St. Louis event to come to Du Quoin is Brian Shirley and to my knowledge there are no midget regulars who are passing on Du Quoin to race at St. Louis. We've attended every midget show but one that has ever been held in the SIC dating all the way back to when they ran a 2 night POWRi show during the Du Quoin State Fair on the Friday and Saturday nights of Labor Day Weekend. The crowd last year (2016) was at least as large as the year before (2015) when there was no St. Louis race.

It would certainly be interesting to know why they'd opt for Friday night over Saturday in 2018.
Last edited by ISF; 12/12/17 at 2:28 PM.

1 member likes this post: luckybuc97
12/12/17, 10:42 PM   #17
Simon_says17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
I would agree, Simon. The cross over of fans and/or drivers between the events would be minimal. The only dirt late model driver I know of that is passing on the St. Louis event to come to Du Quoin is Brian Shirley and to my knowledge there are no midget regulars who are passing on Du Quoin to race at St. Louis. We've attended every midget show but one that has ever been held in the SIC dating all the way back to when they ran a 2 night POWRi show during the Du Quoin State Fair on the Friday and Saturday nights of Labor Day Weekend. The crowd last year (2016) was at least as large as the year before (2015) when there was no St. Louis race.

It would certainly be interesting to know why they'd opt for Friday night over Saturday in 2018.
I'm hoping it's just a typo.

Did anyone see the video of Landon Simon hotlapping his midget, wing car, and sprint car in the Dome? Said they were looking for "feedback" and basically the sky is the limit...hmm.

3 members like this post: Kydehart, luckybuc97, oppweld
12/13/17, 12:09 AM   #18
Kydehart

Quote:
I'm hoping it's just a typo.

Did anyone see the video of Landon Simon hotlapping his midget, wing car, and sprint car in the Dome? Said they were looking for "feedback" and basically the sky is the limit...hmm.
I watched it after Casey Shuman posted the link on his twitter. Midget looked racy and honestly the sprint cars looked better than I would have thought. Be tight for sure, but interesting to see if they take it anywhere.
Last edited by Kydehart; 12/13/17 at 2:13 AM.

1 member likes this post: luckybuc97
12/13/17, 10:16 AM   #19
ISF

Strictly from a spectator viewpoint I would hate to see anything jeopardize the Du Quoin event. An indoor open wheel show in St. Louis might do just that. The people who are in charge at St. Louis have shown no reluctance in scheduling directly against an established event 90 minutes away. We would not want to participate in the traffic inconvenience that is a large part of the bigger city experience, not to mention parking, concession and lodging costs. Add to all that the fact that straying just a couple of blocks in the wrong direction from that dome poses a clear and present danger to life, limb and property.

The possibility of open wheel racing in the dome is mildly interesting but we'll stick with the tried and true event at the Mini Magic Mile.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, luckybuc97, racenut69
12/13/17, 11:20 AM   #20
Simon_says17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kydehart View Post
I watched it after Casey Shuman posted the link on his twitter. Midget looked racy and honestly the sprint cars looked better than I would have thought. Be tight for sure, but interesting to see if they take it anywhere.
Yeah same here. It would definitely be tight, and seeing how much banging the LM's did at that race last year, i'm afraid there would alot of contact with the non-wing cars. Plus I think midgets would be running quicker than full size non-wing cars around that track. Wing cars may have enough downforce to help out and get some speed.

I think it's cool they're thinking outside of the box and are open to ideas. Hopefully nothing that encroaches on the race in Du Quoin though!

1 member likes this post: Kydehart
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 2018 USAC National Schedule