IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloomington speedway to run 305 racesaver sprints in 2015
9/23/14, 9:35 AM   #51
Re: Bloomington speedway to run 305 racesaver sprints in 201
DAD

Justin

The way to make a class and or engine expensive is to add a bunch of rules and or sealed engines. Some racers will go to the end of the earth to defeat your attempts to limit them. It may not make them faster but they sure have fun spending their money.

Limit engine displacement, (a pump will take care of that), limit bore of injectors, a caliper will fix that, limit internal metal parts from unobtanium, a magnet fixes that, limit crank to stock and not lightened, and rods to stock design, an inspection hole in the block and bore gauge fixes that, then leave the racer to his own ingenuity>>> that is the fun part of racing. The throttle bores and crankshaft should keep everybody on the same page.

Yep, there will still be expensive race motors racing, you can't rule out Money, but the guy with a little brain power and some fifty cents labor should still be competitive. High Horsepower Motors don't have much effect on the race outcome until you put the best talent available in the seat to use it to it's full potential. An example National Midgets.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 9/23/14 at 9:38 AM.

1 member likes this post: SWScaleChassis
9/23/14, 10:09 AM   #52
HurstBros0

Well... Looks like we need one of those poll`s set up. Not to see if it is worthwhile , but to see how many cars would be built this winter to compete. I am sure the good folk`s at Bloomington would like to know . The other area venue`s could also take a hard look at the car count and decide if they would like join in. My post was just going by the common practice of filling the pits and have that money pay the purse. Then what is generated by the spectators would be the net gain for the night. That is why my suggestion`s were to utilize an already established class and lure car counts with cash. I have discussed with one guy his intent on building a car. The 12,000 for the engine and 169.00 right rear was well within his budget. He is ahead of the curve since he already has a tow vehicle and sprint car with spares. So... Here is your chance. If your intentions are earnest that you will build a car for this, let us all know. This can gauge the interest and could possibly pull some undecided competitors to the cause.

2 members like this post: DAD, Josh Kinser
9/23/14, 10:26 AM   #53
DAD

Dan

Before the poll we need to hire one of them advertising guys to come up with a more appropriate name, "RACESAVER" sound so cheap, they need a name with more pzazz to add to the excitement.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 9/23/14 at 10:28 AM.

9/23/14, 10:33 AM   #54
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

The "FAT GIRL 305s"
The cars that everyone wants to try but nobody wants to admit to.

9/23/14, 11:24 AM   #55
illinisprintfan

If they could find a track close by that ran on Saturdays to partner with it might help. It would give the racers two venues to race at every weekend. More people might be willing to give it a go if they weren't restricted to racing one track once a week. Brownstown, North Vernon, maybe Clay County Speedway in Flora? They struggle to get more than a dozen non wing sprints on a regular basis, maybe winged cars might draw more.

2 members like this post: bowbuild, Great Scott
9/23/14, 11:50 AM   #56
Bradleyracing86

Can you build your own engine or are they sealed?

9/23/14, 11:58 AM   #57
Daboy

The two local tracks around Sioux Falls are looking at adding this winged 305 racesaver class and dropping the winged 360's. My personal opinion is the true racesaver 305 motor could stay in the $10,000-$12,000 range, but if they decide to go dry sump instead, I have heard that some of those 305's go above $18,000. That to me is not low budget or a beginners series, when you can get a good -12 headed 410 for $12,000 and the car itself costs the same. What I find interesting about how Indiana does things is your main event doesn't run last. Here ALL support classes run 1st then the main event is last. Kinda like going to a, lets say Garth Brooks concert and he is the first on the stage and it closes with some garage band as the last act. By the way we will be keeping our 360 and maybe adding a -12 400 and some cubic inch to our stable.

1 member likes this post: DAD
9/23/14, 12:03 PM   #58
SWScaleChassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyracing86 View Post
Can you build your own engine or are they sealed?
http://www.racesaver.com/rules.cfm?rk=8

Here's the link to the rulebook. Primarily the engine stuff.

-Justin

9/23/14, 12:48 PM   #59
worm

We would be intrested in getting one of these But i cant buy a car to race one nite a week (friday) and only at one track. Need some more tracks to take the chance...

1 member likes this post: DAD
9/23/14, 12:59 PM   #60
Hotshoe65s

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWScaleChassis View Post
I completely agree. Build a motor within the rules, and its fairly affordable. Cruise the classifieds for a few days, theres a chassis here, chassis and body, chassis, body, motor plate, arms, raduis rods... etc.

Yeah, the pure 410 guys may turn their nose up at the 'little 305 guys with the cute wings'. Fine. Leave after the 410's run their main.

But when you can take a kid from a Kart to a 305, you skip all the big $$ investment in the micro/lightning sprint monopoly that it is today. Seat time in a used chassis that won with Shuman or Clauson or Stanbrough behind the wheel once. On the same tracks as the big guys too.

Then, put in a 360 and run with the 410's. Then a few years later, add the 410.

And hell, you wanna avoid the tech issues. Like I said before.. the GM Crate 602/604... Might be worth a shot as well.

I just cant wrap my head around that folks shoot down ideas that could grow our sport between owners drivers and fans alike.. The same folks that scratch their head with low car counts, and hardly any folks in the stands.

-Justin
Absolutely brilliant idea with the 602/604 crate. Late model racing has developed a crate class and it has really taken off over the last few years. I think sprints could do the same.

I don't see why a non-wing crate class wouldn't work either. Just food for thought.

2 members like this post: jjracer636, SWScaleChassis
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloomington speedway to run 305 racesaver sprints in 2015