IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Seems as if USAC is adding some Non-Wing divisions
11/30/17, 12:59 PM   #1
Seems as if USAC is adding some Non-Wing divisions
okienonwingfan

Looking around the good old net and I see there is going to be a East Coast Non Wing series with 360's, Like the SW tour, and looking on Facebook it looks to be a non wing series in the Oklahoma area. The series in Oklahoma will consist of 2 to 4 barrel steel block steel head motors, 305's and Oklahoma Championship sprint car motor rules (Oil Capital Racing Series). The Texas area has a wingless series that is now part of Power I that is open motor rules like War in Mo.
Last edited by okienonwingfan; 11/30/17 at 3:14 PM.

2 members like this post: oppweld, WinglessLovers
11/30/17, 5:13 PM   #2
Re: Seems as if USAC is adding some Non-Wing divisions
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Lets hope non-wing keeps growing and spreading. Would love to see it come to Georgia.

1 member likes this post: ryan84
12/2/17, 5:45 AM   #3
Scooter

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: 50+

I think lernerville is taking on a non-wing crate motor division...

1 member likes this post: davidm
12/2/17, 2:17 PM   #4
chastaj

My fear is too many classes/ different rules will ultimately negatively affect car count

2 members like this post: BrandX, motorhead748
12/2/17, 4:09 PM   #5
Aces&Eights

Quote:
Originally Posted by chastaj View Post
My fear is too many classes/ different rules will ultimately negatively affect car count
I understand that, its why I oppose a crate division. Crate obliterated DLM(Super & Limited) here in the south, if you wanna run limited or Super you have to travel. Now even the 604's have splintered again into 602 ONLY and rebuilding or blue printing is, "ILLEGAL", you have to throw the engine away...

I guess in OW its kind of the same way how they keep getting smaller and smaller with the cars. To me 3 types of open wheel is plenty, Silver Crown, Sprint & Midget. You should be able to satisfy everyone within those 3 platforms, IMHO. I myself started in kart and see that as a good feeder into OW, but now I see a trend for racers to just get wilder with the karts instead of moving up to Midget.

These 602 Sprints they're bringing about aren't as cost effective as they'd pretend they are, you could build a better motor yourself for a 1/3 the cost of what they are offering. Having said all that if it would get people in my area to consider sprints I might consider capitulating on a crate as a place to start.

1 member likes this post: spicoli
12/2/17, 7:46 PM   #6
Backitin

It seems to me that a crate engine class can do just the opposite of what has been suggested. A beginners class with the goal being to have drivers move up to the 410"s. Then when they do move up hopefully there would be some good used crate cars for sale for the new guys.
Here where I am I'd take any nonwing sprintcar class offered. They race crap cars around these parts.

p.s. good used crate 602"s are cheap around here. You could buy a good used engine every season for years and not spend near what you would to build your own engine. A lot of guys replace their engines yearly and a well maintained 602 can last a few seasons.
Last edited by Backitin; 12/2/17 at 7:52 PM.

12/2/17, 9:23 PM   #7
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chastaj View Post
That might be a concern in places where wingless sprint cars already exist, but it sounds like some of this stuff will be in places where there are none

1 member likes this post: Backitin
12/3/17, 4:52 PM   #8
Aces&Eights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backitin View Post
p.s. good used crate 602"s are cheap around here. You could buy a good used engine every season for years and not spend near what you would to build your own engine. A lot of guys replace their engines yearly and a well maintained 602 can last a few seasons.
You see that's the catch, you can't just grab up any 602 and use it, it has to be sealed by Pace. The std 602 oil pan has to be swapped too. The ready to go 602 is $7878.00. Now if you already have a carb and pulley setup you can get it cheaper. They have special headers, special shocks, special tires and a special ignition box. To me it makes more economic sense to go about the problem a different way, but then you cut out the "Crate" cottage industry and all there specified parts they want to sell you.
Last edited by Aces&Eights; 12/3/17 at 4:54 PM.

12/3/17, 6:53 PM   #9
ChetC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces&Eights View Post
You see that's the catch, you can't just grab up any 602 and use it, it has to be sealed by Pace. The std 602 oil pan has to be swapped too. The ready to go 602 is $7878.00...
Actually, a sealed 602 Sprint Car engine from Pace is $4353.86, which has the proper oil pan.

https://paceperformance.com/i-207584...te-engine.html

12/4/17, 11:17 AM   #10
Aces&Eights

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetC View Post
Actually, a sealed 602 Sprint Car engine from Pace is $4353.86, which has the proper oil pan.

https://paceperformance.com/i-207584...te-engine.html
That's NOT the fully ready to go 602, but if you already have some of the "specific" parts you can use the engine you listed.

The total package. $7878.32

http://paceperformance.com/i-2316772...te-engine.html
Last edited by Aces&Eights; 12/4/17 at 11:19 AM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Seems as if USAC is adding some Non-Wing divisions