IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Donny Schatz
3/11/17, 9:54 AM   #1
Donny Schatz
david mitchell
Banned

I know we are almost always a traditional sprint car forum here. However, I need opinions. I am sure there will be a few.How does Donny Schatz continue to beat the so called best Drivers and organizations in the business like a rented mule. Night after night after night.I think he has lost only once so far this season.They used to say Wayne Gretzky was 90 percent better than the second best player.How much better is Schatz than whomever you would consider to be the second best.Also, out of the top ten in WOO, how many of the others do you think you could put in that car with those mechanics and have that same success.He is absolutely amazing.

1 member likes this post: RadRacer
3/11/17, 10:54 AM   #2
Re: Donny Schatz
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Very simple. Years of racing against the best. He was the one getting lapped when I watched him regularly in the 90s.

Part two is constancy, I think he's used the same chassis, shocks and motor combo for 20 years and mechanic for most of it.

Part three, doesn't mess up. I only seen the highlights of last night and Rico was clearly faster up top. grabbed the lead then hit the wall. By the time he got back going Shatz was in the groove he already cut out.

1 member likes this post: motorhead748
3/11/17, 11:05 PM   #3
openwheelfan1

Donny Schutz and his chief mechanic, Ricky Warner, have been together longer than any other current team in WoO. That is certainly part of it. As noted, they have used the same chassis manufacturer, motor supplier and shock supplier for the last several years as well. They show up well prepared, they work very well as a team and they don't make mistakes. They RARELY beat themselves.

One last thing....take nothing away from Donny Schatz as a driver. He is excellent at reading the track and finding where it has the best grip. He will adjust his line as needed to make his car work best. Is he the best ever? History will decide, but IMO he is certainly in the top 5 for winged cars.

1 member likes this post: ryan84
3/12/17, 8:21 AM   #4
Therealether

Lets not forget, TSR is also the best funded team on the tour these days.

2 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, PIT CART
3/12/17, 10:16 AM   #5
Eric Smith

They are well funded. That's what allows them to buy the same parts every other car has and why their cars are very much the same as every other car. You can't buy intelligence and cohesion. That's what sets them apart in my opinion. The cars of the top tier teams nationwide are all interchangeable.

3/12/17, 6:41 PM   #6
Backitin

The answer is big money and talent. Who cares anyhow.

3/12/17, 7:13 PM   #7
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
Donny Schutz and his chief mechanic, Ricky Warner, have been together longer than any other current team in WoO. That is certainly part of it. As noted, they have used the same chassis manufacturer, motor supplier and shock supplier for the last several years as well. They show up well prepared, they work very well as a team and they don't make mistakes. They RARELY beat themselves.

One last thing....take nothing away from Donny Schatz as a driver. He is excellent at reading the track and finding where it has the best grip. He will adjust his line as needed to make his car work best. Is he the best ever? History will decide, but IMO he is certainly in the top 5 for winged cars.
So Who's your TOP 5 drivers all time for Wing Sprint Cars?

3/12/17, 8:09 PM   #8
sp6967

he is so good because his shatz don't stink.

3/12/17, 9:59 PM   #9
superstock30

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 15+

1. Steve Kinser
2. Doug Wolfgang
3. Donny Schatz
4. Sammy Swindel
5. Dave Blaney
Last edited by superstock30; 3/12/17 at 10:00 PM.

1 member likes this post: nathans1012
3/12/17, 10:50 PM   #10
flagboy55

That's a good question Nathan. I will have to chew on that awhile before I come up with a complete answer. Obviously Steve and Donnie are in there. I would have to think there's a PA Posse guy that might make it, and without actually researching the numbers, off the top of my head, how many ASCOC titles has Dale Blaney won, could be in the mix. Actually Sammy would be 3, after that we can debate

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Donny Schatz