IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Jimmy Sills Stanton #75/ Rich Tobias #17??
11/3/10, 2:07 AM   #1
Jimmy Sills Stanton #75/ Rich Tobias #17??
HardyBoysRacing

Race Count Last Year: 10

Hey I was just wondering if anyone happened to know where the Jimmy Sills Stanton Mopar #75 USAC Silver Crown car or the Rich Tobias #17 USAC Silver Crown car were at. We run with the MOVRCC and just wanted to know what ever happened to some of these cars that used to be so well known. If anyone has any whereabouts or information on any 1970's-early 2000's USAC Silver Crown cars please let me know. I'm just trying to do a little research on the Champ cars of the past!!Thanks!

11/9/10, 6:44 PM   #2
Re: Jimmy Sills Stanton #75/ Rich Tobias #17?
baldtireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardyBoysRacing View Post
Hey I was just wondering if anyone happened to know where the Jimmy Sills Stanton Mopar #75 USAC Silver Crown car or the Rich Tobias #17 USAC Silver Crown car were at. We run with the MOVRCC and just wanted to know what ever happened to some of these cars that used to be so well known. If anyone has any whereabouts or information on any 1970's-early 2000's USAC Silver Crown cars please let me know. I'm just trying to do a little research on the Champ cars of the past!!Thanks!
Tobias car resides in a friends garage next to his restored 60's sprinter in the central Pennsylvania area>

11/11/10, 7:42 PM   #3
petey

Did Stanton make more than one of those Silver Crown cars? I'd heard the car that Gary Zarounian ran with Bud Kaeding a few years ago was a copy and was purchased by Kasey Kahne. Those cars were pretty cool and fast, a bit of a throw back to the pre-Beast era.

11/15/10, 12:22 AM   #4
racephoto1

Toby had three or 4 cars I know of. A couple awful, and I'm being polite, pavement cars. He had a champ car that was destroyed at Springfield in a horrorific crash. The last one he built was a sprint/champ car. He ran it once at Eldora as a sprinter, witha wheelbase at the length limit for sprinters. After the Sprinffield wreck he extended to the wheelbase length of a champ car. He won DuQuoin with this one.

1 member likes this post: dirtnonwingfan
11/16/10, 1:56 PM   #5
jmarsicano

Chris is almost dead on about the Tobias cars. The remaining two cars (one pavement and one dirt) are still around. One in Bedford, PA and I have the dirt car.

The Springfield crash totaled that car. He then finished the dirt car (with the adjustable wheel base).

11/22/10, 3:10 PM   #6
trecraft

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 14

Gary Zarounian still has a Stanton Champ car. A year or so ago he was trying to sell a Stanton copy. I read somewhere that Kasey Kahne also has a Stanton Champ car that he drove. CD.

10/3/11, 2:31 PM   #7
Hunt Bros

Ofixco racing also had a stanton champ car that ran ncra around Oklahoma driven by Tony Armstrong Ron Shuman. John Hunt
Posted via Mobile Device

10/10/11, 3:22 PM   #8
richie

It sure looked like Todd Kane was driving the old Stanton #75 Jimmy Sills car a few weeks ago at Eldora. I know several years ago that Kane bought out that operation. Even the pavement car that Kane ran at Milwaukee this year (#63) looked like the Stanton pavement car from that era.

Check out the picture of the dirt car here:

http://www.pbase.com/pitpass/image/138462105

10/17/11, 6:59 PM   #9
sprinter8

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie View Post
It sure looked like Todd Kane was driving the old Stanton #75 Jimmy Sills car a few weeks ago at Eldora. I know several years ago that Kane bought out that operation. Even the pavement car that Kane ran at Milwaukee this year (#63) looked like the Stanton pavement car from that era.

Check out the picture of the dirt car here:

http://www.pbase.com/pitpass/image/138462105
the pavement car was at the first two races this year and the dirt car was the one at the four crown if you want more info p.m. me and i will give you marty kanes contact info
thanks lewie

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Jimmy Sills Stanton #75/ Rich Tobias #17??