IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Look what I uncovered!!
6/24/14, 7:32 AM   #21
Re: Look what I uncovered!!
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatrightrear View Post
Wow, saw so many if not all of these drivers at Haubstadt growing up. It is funny how tough these guys look and were compared to some of the 98 lb. weakling-types with heavy right feet we see today. The contrast is startling.
This could also be a feature line-up for any given Saturday night at Lawrenceburg back in the early to mid 60's....... If it weren't for the Bloomington-Paragon printed on top of the sheet, I would've argued that it was a Lawrenceburg photo......

6/24/14, 9:01 AM   #22
smith19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil98 View Post
Orval Yeadon drove for a local woman here in Cincinnati named Maude Smith. Some of you old timers might remember the name. She was a car owner for many years and had a lot of good drivers work for her, including Dick Gaines, Yeadon, Gilstrap etc.
i think i knew that lady....

1 member likes this post: Danny Burton
6/24/14, 9:45 AM   #23
DAD

A pic of Roy sitting in The old Harry Hyde (The guy they portrayed in "Days of Thunder") "Fido" a converted champ car that Harry built to race at the Sportsdrome Speedway in Jeffersonville Indiana. Harry and his driver Andy Hampton were so predominant that I think they single handedly Killed Open wheel racing in the Louisville area.

The car was later sold to a guy I think who lived up around Cincinnati Ohio, Roy borrowed an engine from one guy "Fido" from the guy in Ohio and took it out and won the first Knoxville Nationals with it. Roy quit racing "Cold Turkey" in the late 60's and to my knowledge has only attended one race since then. Even turning down an invite to be honored at Knoxville. He said they didn't pay any attention to me back then so why should I pay any attention to them now>

Curtsey of Jimmy's Old Timer Racing.
http://jimmiesoldtimeracing.mywowbb....t.php?id=12491

You will have to register with Jimmy but it is well worth the time if you like vintage racing.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 6/25/14 at 12:21 AM.

6/24/14, 12:59 PM   #24
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith19 View Post
i think i knew that lady....
I know you did, "Grandson"!!! You had a very unique and interesting Granny, Chris....

6/24/14, 2:32 PM   #25
TQ29m

I'll have to say, Orvil was quite a character, I remember him best, when he was running the rear engine car from Indy, and the RR rim he had made up to be able to mount 2 snowgrips on it, sure was a mud thrower, man, can you imagine anyone showing up at any race track with something like that today? Sure brings back a lot of memories, looking at old pictures, and knowing you were a part of it! Bob

6/24/14, 6:02 PM   #26
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil98 View Post
Orval Yeadon drove for a local woman here in Cincinnati named Maude Smith. Some of you old timers might remember the name. She was a car owner for many years and had a lot of good drivers work for her, including Dick Gaines, Yeadon, Gilstrap etc.
I'm aware of who Maude Smith is, Craig. She was really a pioneer in motor sports for women and her team was well known around the state. My uncle, Dick Shaw, had his only A-Main win in one of their cars at Haubstadt.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 6/25/14 at 9:05 PM.

1 member likes this post: fish
6/24/14, 11:48 PM   #27
SprintManDave

Orval Yeadon also drove a blue #98 for Howard and Aileen Jackson for a few years in the 60's.

6/25/14, 7:06 PM   #28
rdzsprint

Jerry Castor who is in this photo - #2 front row left side - told me this is Bloomington 1965. He said a roster of the stock car drivers is on the back as well. He wasn't sure exactly how many in the picture had passed away, but said besides himself : Allen Barr, Johnny Johnson, Bob Kinser, and Butch Wilkerson are still hangin' tuff.

6/25/14, 10:15 PM   #29
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
I'm aware of who Maude Smith is, Craig. She was really a pioneer in motor sports for women and her team was well known around the state. My uncle, Dick Shaw, had his only A-Main win in one of their cars at Haubstadt.

Jerry
Thanks for the info, Jerry.... Do you happen to remember the year that he won the race over there??

6/25/14, 10:22 PM   #30
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdzsprint View Post
Jerry Castor who is in this photo - #2 front row left side - told me this is Bloomington 1965. He said a roster of the stock car drivers is on the back as well. He wasn't sure exactly how many in the picture had passed away, but said besides himself : Allen Barr, Johnny Johnson, Bob Kinser, and Butch Wilkerson are still hangin' tuff.
Although not pictured (but he did sign it), Ross Smith is still with us, living about 3 miles from his childhood home in Sayler Park on the west side of Cincinnati. Ross is very close to 83 years old now.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Look what I uncovered!!