IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Curious about down under
12/29/10, 12:46 AM   #11
Re: Curious about down under
jerrydt

We're pretty much in the same boat. I'm retired, my wife works part-time, so cost would be an issue, but 4 weeks wouldn't be out of the question. We'd be interested, but would definitely want some time to see the country and sights, like the Great Barrier Reef, as well as the racing.

Is it wing or non-wing downunder?

I hope you keep us posted!

12/29/10, 4:59 AM   #12
dansprint

G'day Everyone,

Most sprintcar racing in Australia is WINGED 410ci racing, however we do also run 360ci racing but its on a smaller scale.

You also must realise Australia is bigger than America! So if you want to go to Sydney to watch some racing, then go to "The Great Barrier Reef" or "Uluru" for some sight seeing. It would be like watching some racing in New York, then going to Texas for some sight seeing, then heading to California! If you really want to get around in Australia you must be prepared for more travel and more flights domestically.

The Australia speedway season starts in September and runs through to April-May. The majority of "Big Races" are held in January.

Sydney speedway have alot of racing during this time such as the $50,000 to win, and other major international shows.

Our travelling nation wide series is called "World Series Sprintcars" (this is similar to World of Oulaws but on a smaller scale)
The WSS has a Speedweek which is actual being held as we speak.
This speedweek starts in Adelaide, South Australia on December 26th - Murray Bridge, South Australia December 27th - Mount Gambier, South Australia December 28th - Avalon, Victoria December 30th - Warrnambool Speedway January 1st 2011.

This speedweek has attracted some USA drivers such as Jason Johnson, Tyler Walker, Jason Sides, plus Australians such as Brooke Tatnell and Kerry Madsen.

To travel speedweek by hire car you would be travelling approximately 800miles in 5 days. to give you an idea of the distances between states and race tracks.

Australia version of the Knoxville Nationals is called the Grand Annual Sprintcar Classic. This is held late January over 2 nights for nearly 50 years running.

This race gets approx 100 cars nominated from all over Australia plus usually 10 or so Outlaw stars from Amercia.

The Classic is by far A MUST SEE for travelling Americans.

If any of you want to know any more I am happy to help out!

cheers Dan

4 members like this post: apexonephoto, dirtnonwingfan, dkdorkboy, jerrydt
12/29/10, 9:57 AM   #13
Curious about down under
GlobalSpeedway Tours

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrydt View Post
We're pretty much in the same boat. I'm retired, my wife works part-time, so cost would be an issue, but 4 weeks wouldn't be out of the question. We'd be interested, but would definitely want some time to see the country and sights, like the Great Barrier Reef, as well as the racing.

Is it wing or non-wing downunder?

I hope you keep us posted!
Thanks to all who replied, including Dan from Down here who adequately summed up for me.

The absolute ideal tour for you guys would be to arrive in Australia on December 24th just in time for a summer Christmas Day. Still with turkey, pork, ham amd roast potatoes, but in a temperature that will be maybe 100 degrees F higher than back home.

I believe that you should then experience the winged sprintcar racing at Sydney Speedway, re-named from Parramatta Raceway earlier this year. You would have up to 10 days in Sydney. In fact you would stay in Sydney to enjoy New Year's Eve out on the Harbour to see the world's most spectacular NYE firework's display you'll ever experience.

Then stay for the $50k to win on January 2nd & 3rd again in Sydney (there will be 12 of your countrymen there for this year's race next week.) Then you would move north to Queensland to see what the Gold Coast and Brisbane have to offer by way of more sightseeing and sprintcar racing.

I believe it is here that you would then take a break from the track and fly up to Cairns and Port Douglas to see what captures everyone's attention. The Great Barrier Reef that is. You could allocate up to 10 days for this which can also include flying to Uluru (Ayres Rock) and Alice Springs) for a few nights in the outback and Central Australia.

From there you would fly to Melbourne for the short drive to Warrnambool and the Grand Annual Sprintcar Classic. Following the Classic, in 2012 we would then take you to Adelaide for the Australian Sprintcar title. This is often a heated and controversial affair in which only Australian drivers can compete.

All of the above is winged sprintcar racing, but you will see high class midgets on various nights along with other support classes. Plus NZ if we have time to get over there!!

www.globalspeedwaytours.com.au will put all this together for you, including suggested independent sightseeing tours you can choose from. Flights need to be used because of the sheer size of the continent, but where ground tranport is suitable by road, it will always be by coach and not rental cars.

Lots more could be said, however we will advise further on these aspects as we get more into the new year. In the meantime, please let me have your continued feedback.

Thanks ... Peter Physick

3 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, gary curry, jerrydt
12/30/10, 8:20 AM   #14
Wing H8a

Come to New Zealand for Christmas/New Years Racing ......

Its summer, but not as hot as Aussie
2 Islands approx 12hours drive from tip to tip per Island
No deadly animals
Not many Aussies (I had too)
exchange rate $1USD = 1.297NZD (eg: ticket in to Western Springs incl. pits [free] is $30NZD!)

This years International racing period example: ...

Sat 26th Dec (Boxing Day) at Western Springs
International Midgets (39 cars) USA:Clauson, Coons, Loyett, Ray Aussies:Smee (#1AU),McKay,T.Jenkins plus all top NZ drivers
International Sprints (24 cars)(410 Winged): Ricky Logan, Jonothan Allard, Sammy, Tommy Tarlton + Australian Peter Murphy plus top NZ drivers
plus TQ Midgets, 1/4 kid demonstration & F2 (like focus) Midgets.

Mon 27th Dec at Baypark (3 hours drive from Western Springs)
International Sprints (30+ cars) Drivers listed above
Plus support classes

Wed 29th Dec at Western Springs
International Midgets 30 lap world durby (39 cars) Drivers listed above
International Sprints (24 cars): Drivers listed above
plus TQ , 1/4's, F2's.

Thurs 30th Jan at Rotorua (3 1/2 south of Springs)
(Day to of 2) NZ Super Stock National Championship (to find our "1NZ")
(Full contact racing)
+ support classes

Sat 1st Jan at Western Springs
International Midgets 40 lap king of the springs (39 cars): Drivers listed above
plus TQ , 1/4's, F2's.

Mon 3rd Jan at Palmerston North (7 hour drive south of Western Springs)
International Sprints (24+ cars)(410 Winged): Drivers listed above
plus Super Stocks (Full contact racing!) & other support classes

Tue 4th Baypark
*cancelled*

Wed 5th Jan at Western Springs
International Midgets 50 lap Classic biggest Midget race outside of USA (40 cars) Drivers listed above including Sammy Swindell
plus TQ , 1/4's, F2's.

Fri - Sat 7th - 8th Jan ay Baypark
NZ Sprint Car National Championship (to find our "1NZ")
Sprints (40+ cars): Drivers listed above
+ support classes

(then fly back to snowy cold Tulsa for the Chili Bowl)

A Possible 10 nights of racing covering 1 Island of NZ in under 2 weeks, hitting all hot tourist detinations along the way.
Approx $230USD on pitpass/track entry for 10 nights!

No tipping
18 to buy liquor
prostitition legal
I think that covers everything?
Last edited by Wing H8a; 12/30/10 at 8:27 AM.

1 member likes this post: jerrydt
12/30/10, 11:36 PM   #15
9racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing H8a View Post
Come to New Zealand for Christmas/New Years Racing ......

Its summer, but not as hot as Aussie
2 Islands approx 12hours drive from tip to tip per Island
No deadly animals
Not many Aussies (I had too)
exchange rate $1USD = 1.297NZD (eg: ticket in to Western Springs incl. pits [free] is $30NZD!)

This years International racing period example: ...

Sat 26th Dec (Boxing Day) at Western Springs
International Midgets (39 cars) USA:Clauson, Coons, Loyett, Ray Aussies:Smee (#1AU),McKay,T.Jenkins plus all top NZ drivers
International Sprints (24 cars)(410 Winged): Ricky Logan, Jonothan Allard, Sammy, Tommy Tarlton + Australian Peter Murphy plus top NZ drivers
plus TQ Midgets, 1/4 kid demonstration & F2 (like focus) Midgets.

Mon 27th Dec at Baypark (3 hours drive from Western Springs)
International Sprints (30+ cars) Drivers listed above
Plus support classes

Wed 29th Dec at Western Springs
International Midgets 30 lap world durby (39 cars) Drivers listed above
plus TQ , 1/4's, F2's.

Thurs 30th Jan at Rotorua (3 1/2 south of Springs)
(Day to of 2) NZ Super Stock National Championship (to find our "1NZ")
(Full contact racing)
+ support classes

Sat 1st Jan at Western Springs
International Midgets 40 lap king of the springs (39 cars): Drivers listed above
plus TQ , 1/4's, F2's.

Mon 3rd Jan at Palmerston North (7 hour drive south of Western Springs)
International Sprints (24+ cars)(410 Winged): Drivers listed above
plus Super Stocks (Full contact racing!) & other support classes

Tue 4th Baypark
*cancelled*

Wed 5th Jan at Western Springs
International Midgets 50 lap Classic biggest Midget race outside of USA (40 cars) Drivers listed above including Sammy Swindell
plus TQ , 1/4's, F2's.

Fri - Sat 7th - 8th Jan ay Baypark
NZ Sprint Car National Championship (to find our "1NZ")
Sprints (40+ cars): Drivers listed above
+ support classes

(then fly back to snowy cold Tulsa for the Chili Bowl)

A Possible 10 nights of racing covering 1 Island of NZ in under 2 weeks, hitting all hot tourist detinations along the way.
Approx $230USD on pitpass/track entry for 10 nights!

No tipping
18 to buy liquor
prostitition legal
I think that covers everything?
i think he covered it all.. Lmao.. you should consider a career in Sales if you havent already.. whats the air fare on that trip and i just might..

12/31/10, 10:44 PM   #16
Wing H8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9racing View Post
whats the air fare on that trip and i just might..
Not sure , but it looks like one way fron Auckland, NZ to LA is somewhere between $1,000 - $1,400 USD

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Curious about down under