IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
DAD (Offline)
  #11 2/13/14 6:01 PM
Wayne

Nothing worse than a transplanted Hoosier rubbing the cold weather thing in.

Honest Dad himself
PJ Wright (Offline)
  #12 2/13/14 6:03 PM
Originally Posted by Wayne Davis:
Hate it for the racers but don't mind the KARMA that goes around..I cancelled my Florida deal because of this race booked on top of our races already scheduled.
They weren't supposed to have a race in Illinois because of one scheduled in Florida? Wow.

You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.
DAD (Offline)
  #13 2/13/14 6:03 PM
Wayne

Nothing worse than a transplanted Hoosier rubbing the cold weather thing in. Since when is there a chance of rain in Florida, I thought that was a sure bet?

Honest Dad himself
Lil2quick
  #14 2/13/14 6:06 PM
I mostly just read on here and dont comment too much, but if I had to guess word on the street was a lot of the 600 guys were worried about the cost of entry. With a $95 post entry, $30 for a pit stall and then still buying a pit pass for just the driver some family teams diddnt want to make the trip. So im thinking he might of also saw the writing on the wall that he wasnt gonna make near as much money as he thought. I know no one is in racing to make money but thats a little steep for some entry's, and now some of the people who were gonna travel to race are out there hotel rooms. I'd be hard up to race before I gave this man another dime of my money.
3 Likes: El1teBr33ze, tandtinc2424, Tom23
DAD (Offline)
  #15 2/13/14 6:52 PM
Originally Posted by Lil2quick:
I mostly just read on here and dont comment too much, but if I had to guess word on the street was a lot of the 600 guys were worried about the cost of entry. With a $95 post entry, $30 for a pit stall and then still buying a pit pass for just the driver some family teams diddnt want to make the trip. So im thinking he might of also saw the writing on the wall that he wasnt gonna make near as much money as he thought. I know no one is in racing to make money but thats a little steep for some entry's, and now some of the people who were gonna travel to race are out there hotel rooms. I'd be hard up to race before I gave this man another dime of my money.
Lil

Somewhere on IOW the pre-entry car count was given and they seemed to be satisfied with that. The car numbers were down but car numbers are down everywhere. I love to race but I don't get real excited about pulling a trailer 300 miles in snow and ice.

I'm not in the loop with the 600 guys but it was my understanding that pits in the quanset hut were free and inside the arena it was $30.00 per pit.

I learned a long time ago it is not wise to beat up on a race promoter or track owners. They do do us a service, and just looking over Steve's website lends me to believe he is indeed doing many racers of many different class's a service. Guess he could just replace the 600 cars with go karts or motorcycle's if racing under a big old roof is too expensive for them. But I doubt that to be the case.

Honest Dad himself
4 Likes: Copperhead, fish, jjones752, RickyBobby
Jtravels (Online)
  #16 2/13/14 8:55 PM
26 non wing and 18 wing 600s pre entered going for $500 to win. 18 lightning sprints going for $2000 to win. Doesn't look to me like the 600 guys had a problem with the entry fees.
Copperhead (Offline)
  #17 2/14/14 1:09 AM
I hate it for you guys that had hotels and everything planned, but I've had this kind of thing happen a lot over the years. It's one of those things that pop up with what we do. You can't dog on a promotor too much though - especially when he's putting in the effort to put together an event like this for us. I hope everybody shows up in March because this sounds like an absolute blast. I'll be there ready for whoever wants to come play. Can't wait.
2 Likes: DAD, fish
jjones752 (Offline)
  #18 2/14/14 7:00 AM
Originally Posted by jjones752:
Extreme? the Weather Channel is forecasting a high of 32 Friday and Saturday, lows of 16 and 23. Cold, sure. But extreme? Isn't cold weather the prime motivator for running indoor shows?
IMRA is scheduled to run at 34 Raceway in Burlington, IA March 29th, which will siphon off quite a few potential entries. Montpelier starts up the following week so I'm going to be focusing on getting ready for the regular season, as will others, I would imagine.
Dad, reserving a non-refundable room at a Super 8 doesn't end up being so cheap, does it?
I officially retract my earlier skepticism/cycnicism (above), as we are now getting the Winter Weather Advisories that must've gotten to Illinois first. On the radar it doesn't look like a particularly big storm, but with enough potential snow/ice mix to make travel marginal.
I hope the rescheduled date doesn't conflict with season openers enough to cause a problem with car counts; I'd like to see it be successful and continue and would give serious consideration to entering if my car were finished and the bugs ironed out. I know IMRA is running that Saturday as I already mentioned, not sure of others. If I'm not up to my elbows putting the finishing touches on my car I plan on at least coming out to help support the front gate.

Jim Jones
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
DAD (Offline)
  #19 2/14/14 8:31 AM
Originally Posted by jjones752:
I officially retract my earlier skepticism/cycnicism (above), as we are now getting the Winter Weather Advisories that must've gotten to Illinois first. On the radar it doesn't look like a particularly big storm, but with enough potential snow/ice mix to make travel marginal.
I hope the rescheduled date doesn't conflict with season openers enough to cause a problem with car counts; I'd like to see it be successful and continue and would give serious consideration to entering if my car were finished and the bugs ironed out. I know IMRA is running that Saturday as I already mentioned, not sure of others. If I'm not up to my elbows putting the finishing touches on my car I plan on at least coming out to help support the front gate.
Jim

Bring the car on out. I have always liked these special races to try out new stuff at because no body has an upper hand at these races. Everybody is guessing heck you might guess right. Racing is like getting married and having kids, If you wait until everything is all figured out and you have enough money to do it right you ain't never going to do it.

One of my favorite saying is "Close enough for Government Work", get her close and come on down.

Honest Dad himself
Steve Nace (Offline)
  #20 2/14/14 10:24 AM
Normally I don't respond to all the negativity posted when something like this happens. However most of you don't know me and I don't know you. We have been creating, promoting and producing Mini Sprint, Motorcycle, ATV & Kart racing events for over 22 years. Do we do everything right, absolutely not. However we do take everything into consideration when cancelling or re scheduling an event. Based on the changing weather conditions, predicted for Du Quoin for this weekend, and after many conversations with the key people involved , it was decided this would be the call to make. This was not some big conspiracy. All refunds requested, Which their were very few, have already been taken care of. Either credited to your card or checks mailed out today. While I am sure some of you had expenses that can't be recovered, Im pretty sure it cost no one as much as the promoter when this happens. Which is a chance we take and accept. If you had a motel room in the area that will not give you a refund on your room and you cancelled it yesterday, Please contact me and I will take care of it. Hopefully enough of you will be able to attend the March event to make it a successful enough event for it to happen again next Winter. Hope to see you in March.

Steve Nace
Steve Nace Racing Promotions
snace@apex.net
8 Likes: Copperhead, DAD, El1teBr33ze, ISF, jjones752, midget fan, PJ Wright, RickyBobby