IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC outlaw all cockpit adjusters
1/18/18, 4:45 PM   #81
Re: USAC outlaw all cockpit adjusters
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backitin View Post
Its typical, the folks that ruin most good things sit on the side lines worried about the well being of others who are doing just what they like getting a feeling that most of you sad sacks will ever know. Take the fear factor out and like I said pretty much anyone could race and there would be many more Larsons and such out there.
Hey dumbasses part of being a Larson or whomever is dealing with fear.
So do you think it should go back to the days of no roll bars or seat belts?

1/18/18, 6:10 PM   #82
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backitin View Post
...Hey dumbasses part of being a Larson or whomever is dealing with fear.
Dealing with fear is NOT the same as craving a near death experience.
Let me know when you're ready and I'll help you setup for your next jump.
Last edited by Aces&Eights; 1/18/18 at 6:11 PM.

1/18/18, 8:38 PM   #83
TKRacing

All of this crap when this thread was about new rules. Half the people posting have never been in a racecar nor will they ever be in a racecar. If the racers (car owners and drivers) have issues with it let them speak up. Otherwise all the crap being talked is pointless. USAC and many other sanctioning bodies are doing what they (and engineers, doctors, safety personnel) think will help better prevent injuries. I know butlerbuilt added 3 stage foam to their headrest a few years ago. Long before Dixons indycar issue. The seats and other safety equipment have come a long way. Racing will NEVER be safe. Its just how the sport works. Its sad, but its true.

3 members like this post: Chris Wilson, jjones752, luckybuc97
1/18/18, 11:59 PM   #84
Cobra 14

The last time I checked.. Not one single rule book had a "maximum safety rule". You are free to be as safe as you want to be.

3 members like this post: Can26, rmr6nm, TKRacing
1/19/18, 6:42 AM   #85
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKRacing View Post
...If the racers (car owners and drivers) have issues with it let them speak up. Otherwise all the crap being talked is pointless. USAC and many other sanctioning bodies are doing what they (and engineers, doctors, safety personnel) think will help better prevent injuries. I know butlerbuilt added 3 stage foam to their headrest a few years ago. Long before Dixons indycar issue. The seats and other safety equipment have come a long way. Racing will NEVER be safe. Its just how the sport works. Its sad, but its true.
There in lies the rub, "Think will help". Thats the issue I take with things being mandated without, "knowing". With firesuits, people like Mr Simpson proved with conclusive evidence that his firesuits WOULD protect and not HARM. With FC seats a lot of it is well meant and it does contain and support the driver very well. But look at a HANS device, it allows the head to move, but in a limited motion. Brain injuries are different. All I'm saying is more is to be learned before mandating FC seats.
Last edited by Aces&Eights; 1/19/18 at 9:22 AM.

1/19/18, 8:40 AM   #86
racer5c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces&Eights View Post
There in lies the rub, "Think will help". Thats the issue I take with things being mandated without, "knowing". With firesuits, people like Mr Simpson proved with conclusive evidence that his firesuits WOULD protect and not HARM. With FC seats a lot of it is well meant and it does contain and support the driver very well. But look at a HANS device, it allows the head to move, but in a limited motion. Brain injuries are different. All I'm saying is more is to be learned before mandating FC seats.
don't you mean Mr. Hinchman

1/19/18, 10:22 AM   #87
the1jet17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces&Eights View Post
There in lies the rub, "Think will help". Thats the issue I take with things being mandated without, "knowing". With firesuits, people like Mr Simpson proved with conclusive evidence that his firesuits WOULD protect and not HARM. With FC seats a lot of it is well meant and it does contain and support the driver very well. But look at a HANS device, it allows the head to move, but in a limited motion. Brain injuries are different. All I am saying is more is to be learned before mandating FC seats.
I have flipped using an old Kirkey Seat with head nets and a neck brace, and I have flipped with a full containment butler built seat and a defNder head and neck restraint system.

I will take my butler built seat all day every day. So much that I bought a brand new seat because my old one didn't fit me anymore (Plus side of losing weight!). Sure I am sore after but nowhere near as much as in that Kirkey. However, I am open to keeping the options available to where it is safe but inclusive.

My thoughts are to lower the cost of racing so teams like mine can help keep up with the guys spending hundreds of thousands each year. My budget is about $15,000 for a whole season. That is what USAC guys spend on tires in an entire season. (News flash, Some spend more). So when I look at rules of an organization, it is what are the guys doing to make it affordable and fun to race with.

WAR uses passing points since they do not qualify, now that is a good rule. WAR required axle tethers first as a local organization, smart move. However, they still allow you to use whatever products you want and are inclusive. The rulebook is simple, and the racers feel like their voices are heard. Casey Shuman has done a great job there.

BOSS pays for top 4 in a heat race, better than any local track from the 10-20th position, and has more nightly rewards than you can count. They support those who run both American racer tires and Hoosier tires. Again, the same aspect, the rulebook is simple, and the racers feel like their voices are heard. There’s a good reason why everytime I run with them there are 35 sprint cars in the pits. I enjoy that I can go up to Aaron Fry and give my opinion on something and he gives it an honest thought.

I think what most the people are getting to within these last few pages is that the more rules we add, the more exclusive an organization seems to become, and the barriers of entry as a local sprint car racer go up. What happened to good old fashioned ingenuity? As a 'local guy' I find it easier to support the organizations that support me and ask for my opinion night in, night out.

Moreover, that is that. Racing is not cheap and we do this for fun.
Last edited by the1jet17; 1/19/18 at 10:38 AM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC outlaw all cockpit adjusters