Bad Dad 54

This may save your life.
http://staceydavid.typepad.com/stace...ng-safety.html

1 member likes this post: TNRustler
1/7/11, 5:16 AM   #2
Re: Welding safety
Larryoracing

Thanks for the post.

I will have to admit, I have never thought about using cleaners when welding metal. If I had to clean metal I would use alcohol. But maybe there is some problems there. I was taught 30 years ago, there was only one danger when welding metal and that was welding galvanized pipe. We were told to grind off the gavalnized material then weld.

Thanks again,

Larry Otani

1/7/11, 10:34 AM   #3
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad 54 View Post
Yes, I posted this on here about a month ago. I've been welding over 60 years, and no one ever said anything about it, even went to 2, welding schools, and nothing was ever mentioned, took welding in high school, no mention there either. I do, however, know about phosgene gas, I spent 2 years in Washington, DC, and we were taught, and shown what it will do, it'll kill ya too dead to skin, in a heartbeat. Guess I've been lucky, I've been known to wash the oil and grease outa cracks in aluminum and magnesium, and go right back at welding it up. Hope no one has any problem with it, it isn't funny, what will happen. Bob

1/7/11, 12:49 PM   #4
Onlydirt

Must be why I spent so much time with a wire wheel grinder when was younger.

1/7/11, 4:21 PM   #5
spade

Phosgene gas in high enough concentration is like instant pneumonia which are the fumes given off when welding galvanize. We all know pneumonia can be fatal so it's a good idea to read the labels and use personal protection when using any chemical. I don't know all the facts or concentration levels but we were taught a lot of this in Military welding school.
"Let's be careful out there"

1/7/11, 9:14 PM   #6
racephoto1

Study a little history and you'll see that phosgene was used as a weapon in WW1, and a really effective one at that.

1/7/11, 10:01 PM   #7
I Miss Manzy

Phosgene gas is also created when refrigerant (R-12,R-134a etc.)burns,so be very careful when using a torch around any auto A/C components!

1/8/11, 12:45 AM   #8
Bad Dad 54

For years the only gas that bothered me was the riding w/ the crew to the races. But it sure is fun when your driving and you're in charge of the window lock button LOL. I use a box fan w/ a furnace filter when welding in a closed garage it clears the air out. But don't get to close as it can affect the shielding gas.

1/8/11, 10:50 AM   #9
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by racephoto1 View Post
Study a little history and you'll see that phosgene was used as a weapon in WW1, and a really effective one at that.
You are correct, Chris, history can teach us a lot, it was used a lot, by our enemies, in trench warfare, or anywhere we could be caught without protection. I was in DC, in the early 60's, and on a CBR team, to help protect our President, in case of a chemical attack, but only became aware of it's "availability" for "home use" in the past month, just wonder how many people have been effected, or died from it, accidently. Pretty scarey, when you consider how many of us, use it every day, I know I'll be a lot more careful how I use it. Bob

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Welding safety