IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What D2 is suppose to be about
2/18/16, 12:45 AM   #1
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

One of the highlights of the GATOR"DIRT"NATIONALS was Zero Motorsports had bought an engine from a salvage yard here in Jacksonville for $300.00...stripped it down Wed. and practiced with it...Fri. night raced it and finished 6th out of 19 cars....Sat. afternoon show was another good finish and capped it off with a 5th place finish on Sun....Johnny Murdock took a "salvage yard" engine and ran with some of the best equipt. and engines money can buy. With his winnings he paid for that engines 4 times over. This is what I have said that you DO NOT need to spend thousands of dollars on engine packages. Yes we were down a few cars but what was there was some of the best. Johnny worked his tail off but was when it was all said and done he took a whole bunch of greenbacks back to St.Louie....Well done JM and Zero Motorsports!!!

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

2/18/16, 1:06 AM   #2
Re: What D2 is suppose to be about
Dennis W

Wayne, We had a great time down there at your event. I have to correct you though, the car we swapped the salvage motor into was the zero motorsports car that led most of the that race and ended up finishing 2nd that night. But I agree this new D2 series is very affordable and a great opportunity for people to break into the class.

Dennis W.

2 members like this post: fish, koolaid89
2/18/16, 1:12 AM   #3
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

That's even better....thanks Dennis for corecting me....I was doing it off of memory!! Good job you guys did down here

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

2 members like this post: fish, red70racer
2/18/16, 9:00 AM   #4
red70racer

This is what is so appealing of the D2 engine deal. As long as we keep it where the base components can come from a salvage yard it will be successful
Once we open just a little rule it will turn into a fiasco. (IMCA-UMP modifieds were an economy class that the racers mucked up)
For the "purist" you're gonna have to get over it, I did. It's a grass roots movement that has put fun back into midget racing where the blue collar guy can afford a competitive engine without mortgaging the house.

Jeff Palazzolo
Last edited by red70racer; 2/18/16 at 9:01 AM. Reason: Forgot to sign my name

3 members like this post: Crankin, jjones752, Leohr46
2/18/16, 9:31 AM   #5
LEADERS EDGE

Why did they have to purchase motors in The area where the race was held? Was there a ventilation issue with the ones originally in the car?
Last edited by LEADERS EDGE; 2/18/16 at 9:52 AM.

2/18/16, 11:00 AM   #6
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
Why did they have to purchase motors in The area where the race was held? Was there a ventilation issue with the ones originally in the car?
According to my figures a racer could buy 3 of these $300.00 junk yard motors for the cost of a set aftermarket rods. Wayne's theory is unlike an Esslinger or TRO if it decides to blow up go to the junk yard and find another low mileage motor and install it and race. This theory takes in the budget racer. For the guy that wants to race first cabin he can buy his expensive rods and billet add on's and dress his motor up a little but it won't make him any faster. Old school racers have the repair it and patch it up and race again mentality. D2 guys need to develop a throw it away and put another good used motor in and race attitude.

Honest Dad himself

2 members like this post: Crankin, Dennis W
2/18/16, 1:11 PM   #7
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
According to my figures a racer could buy 3 of these $300.00 junk yard motors for the cost of a set aftermarket rods. Wayne's theory is unlike an Esslinger or TRO if it decides to blow up go to the junk yard and find another low mileage motor and install it and race. This theory takes in the budget racer. For the guy that wants to race first cabin he can buy his expensive rods and billet add on's and dress his motor up a little but it won't make him any faster. Old school racers have the repair it and patch it up and race again mentality. D2 guys need to develop a throw it away and put another good used motor in and race attitude.

Honest Dad himself
DAD, you need to adjust your sights, they are shooting too high, I'm currently buying parts for far less money, Manley, Wiseco, all the stuff that racers use, and they are all brand new, including shipping in most cases, that's what keeps the engine prices down, "shoppin", something we weren't able to do before the "confuser"! Bob

1 member likes this post: DAD
2/18/16, 1:30 PM   #8
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
DAD, you need to adjust your sights, they are shooting too high, I'm currently buying parts for far less money, Manley, Wiseco, all the stuff that racers use, and they are all brand new, including shipping in most cases, that's what keeps the engine prices down, "shoppin", something we weren't able to do before the "confuser"! Bob
Bob

The secret to the little 4 valve motors is they run and hold up pretty good when left perfectly stock. The rules need a little tweaking to allow up to date motors to be used though, Bob. The rods and things in these little motors hold up real good if you leave them Stock. I think them engineer guys figure their life expectancy in something they call cycles, the more of them cycle things the closer they are to blowing up.

The way they wrote the rules a guy has to buy a 4 year old motor to race and a motor that old probably has a lot more cycles on their rods than a motor out of a 2015 vehicle. Cost is about the same for any of the motors so why not spring for a new more powerful motor out of a late model car and forgo them aftermarket parts all together.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: Racer_dude35
2/18/16, 7:50 PM   #9
zeromotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
Original motorhad about 40 nights on it. And at chilibowl it was floating the valves. We just thought it would be best to put a fresh one in, for a big ol 3/8 track

1 member likes this post: trannyman
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What D2 is suppose to be about