IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IMS Sold to Penske
11/4/19, 9:21 AM   #1
IMS Sold to Penske
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Official announcement at 11am. Stay tuned.

3 members like this post: EBookerFan, nathans1012, racer-x
11/4/19, 9:34 AM   #2
Re: IMS Sold to Penske
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

I thought the Captain already owned the joint.

6 members like this post: illiNOISE, jdull99, jim goerge, nathans1012, oppweld, tirespinner
11/4/19, 9:35 AM   #3
cmakin

Didn't he just sell his other speedways to NASCAR? Hmm. . . .

2 members like this post: jdull99, tirespinner
11/4/19, 10:33 AM   #4
jdull99

https://speedsport.com/indy/indycar-...ndycar-series/

Well...this is basically what he wanted in 1979...I don't feel the best about someone that already wins as much as they do (can not say "Dominate", as the IRL rules HAVE kept the playing field very level, but Penske always finds a way to win Indy & championships...); but it DOES say a lot about the series, being on a continued uptick (ratings, etc). Roger wouldn't do it to lose $ (altho I can't blv much is being made on the Smart car dealers he owns?...at least yet anyway...).

THANKFULLY that dirt track on the infield was already built! He'da never thought of that...I'm certain it is a $ maker, so likely he will keep it...

What will he do with the Brickyard 400??? Can't see him losing $ on that every year...(I still think run it on a Sept Saturday, then have the Indy champ Sunday - either on the road coarse or two 150milers on the oval...) - it will take someone like Roger too get that kind of "double-header" scheduled...Cup won't want Indycars to out-shine them...

Hope Tony George takes his cut & buys USAC...can't see the connections between that & Roger being too much...

I hope Roger makes it so NO races go against NASCAR (so he can be at both) and people like me don't ever have to have both of them on at the same time...lol (I know, the struggle is real...lol) - altho, lots of times, they do work out so its maybe only half an hour or so overlap...espscly when NBC has both of them on...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)
Last edited by jdull99; 11/4/19 at 10:35 AM.

5 members like this post: jim goerge, nathans1012, oppweld, tirespinner, TNRustler
11/4/19, 10:43 AM   #5
ossuks

As long as he adds Spectator Oval Drags I will be happy!!

6 members like this post: cmakin, erich45, jim goerge, nathans1012, oppweld, tirespinner
11/4/19, 10:48 AM   #6
Griffittsmotorsports

I was wondering the same thing how’s this affect or tie into usac?

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
11/4/19, 11:03 AM   #7
snowdrift

I would say dirt track gone can you say welcome back F1 and more sports car races 12 hours of Indy

4 members like this post: Indy1808, jim goerge, nathans1012, tirespinner
11/4/19, 11:36 AM   #8
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

I always thought having a 12 or 24 hour endurance race there would be awesome kind of on the same level as Daytona 24, Sebring 12 hours, 24 hours at Le Mans, and Petite Le Mans at Road Atlanta. Indy is already known world wide as on the big name tracks in the world along with the city of Indianapolis it’s self. Us Hoosiers have been fortunate enough to to have had Indy, NASCAR, F1 race at the track over the years and I’ve been lucky enough to seen it at one time or another. Hope the dirt track stays. It think it gives racers and fans a sort of an incentive to hopefully get to race there some day for those that will never make it to the top levels of Motorsports.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, TNRustler
11/4/19, 11:47 AM   #9
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans1012 View Post
I always thought having a 12 or 24 hour endurance race there would be awesome kind of on the same level as Daytona 24, Sebring 12 hours, 24 hours at Le Mans, and Petite Le Mans at Road Atlanta. Indy is already known world wide as on the big name tracks in the world along with the city of Indianapolis it’s self. Us Hoosiers have been fortunate enough to to have had Indy, NASCAR, F1 race at the track over the years and I’ve been lucky enough to seen it at one time or another. Hope the dirt track stays. It think it gives racers and fans a sort of an incentive to hopefully get to race there some day for those that will never make it to the top levels of Motorsports.
It sits in the middle of a neighborhood so there wont be a 24 hour race there period.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
11/4/19, 12:24 PM   #10
hoosierhillbilly

There is an 8 hour race planned for 2020 per this article.

https://www.wthr.com/article/new-end...oming-ims-2020

1 member likes this post: nathans1012
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IMS Sold to Penske