IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Plymouth, Gas City, & Hartford to run 602 Pro Sprints in '19
8/17/18, 1:52 PM   #11
Racer12

I still cannot understand why the Crate class was created here when the Racesavers were already established. So now instead of having ONE limited engine format for winged cars we have two... Great idea, divide the teams... Bail on the crates and go to Racesaver rules! There are many of us who run Racesaver that are in Indy or North. What is the biggest car count for the Pro Sprints this year? I have never saw more than 10.

Bob

3 members like this post: spicoli, TQ97, trecraft
8/17/18, 2:15 PM   #12
Re: Plymouth, Gas City, & Hartford to run 602 Pro Sprints in
bullring

I don't get the idea of putting a lower powered engine in a sprint car and then putting wings on them which requires more power to pull them down the straights. As another poster said, take a look at the non-wing class they started at Wilmot. Car counts getting near 40 for some races.

4 members like this post: captrat, Ken Bonnema, PJ Wright, Will Shunk
8/17/18, 2:31 PM   #13
Will Shunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullring View Post
I don't get the idea of putting a lower powered engine in a sprint car and then putting wings on them which requires more power to pull them down the straights. As another poster said, take a look at the non-wing class they started at Wilmot. Car counts getting near 40 for some races.
I do not know anything about crate or racesaver but can anyone tell me the cubic inch displacement in the non wing USAC sprint cars during the Larry & Gary Show and Thunder series eras? I thought it was less than today's non wing powerplants. If they were smaller displacement, the cars were exciting, a challenge to drive, car counts in USAC and at the weekly sprint tracks in the midwest were strong, not to mention the packed grandstands.

8/17/18, 2:34 PM   #14
Racer12

They were a 305ci limit till the early 80’s if I am correct.

Bob

2 members like this post: openwheelfan1, Will Shunk
8/17/18, 2:38 PM   #15
Racer12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullring View Post
We already have a strong non wing contingent here. Why add another class that looks the same. I am a total convert, 5 years ago I hated wings. Now I like them as much as non wing. The 305 Racesaver races have been damn good. I implore fans to put their biases to the side and see the races for what they are worth. Good racing is good racing, doesn’t matter if it is wings, no wings, micros, Mods, Sprints, bombers, etc...

Bob
Last edited by Racer12; 8/17/18 at 2:49 PM.

3 members like this post: fish, nathans1012, PIT CART
8/17/18, 2:38 PM   #16
kcarm92

Because the 602 are part of the world racing group which is ump 305 is part of IMCA which is not in the Midwest

3 members like this post: fuzzyracing, jim goerge, nathans1012
8/17/18, 2:56 PM   #17
Racer12

Looks like a high car count of 10 for the year for the Pro Sprints at Plymouth. As low as 5 from what I saw on their FB page.

Bob

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
8/17/18, 3:59 PM   #18
cowboyhar69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer12 View Post
They were a 305ci limit till the early 80’s if I am correct.

Bob
They were 305 in the 60's and then USAC went to 350 before going to 410....can't remember the years the cubic inch limit was raised.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

1 member likes this post: Pat O'Connor Fan
8/17/18, 4:57 PM   #19
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

This is how I understand it.

The biggest problem with the Pro Sprints is the Payout at Plymouth is why the car count is bad.

Former Eldora Promoter Larry Kemp along with Gaerte developed the division.

When they ask Plymouth if they would run the division they where supposedly gonna pay a $1,000 to win & I believe $175 / $200 to start and had a bunch of folks interested.
4125 to start

Supposedly Larry recommended the pay $400-$500 to win and maybe $125 to start most thought that was a joke and decided to not race that division and I remember some saying heck you can't even get near the price of a new tire for start money.

The thing I've seen a lot though is right rears last a good few races.

I know one guy who's had the same right rear for the last 8 races.

If they would have stuck with their original payout they might have got to where the car counts where steadily around 20+ a week.

I'm ok with the division as it's something different for the fans; but not to be rude it's kind of turned into a joke.

Just my opinion and what I've heard and been told.

Now that 3 / 4 years have passed since the division was created I wish they would have just brought in the 305 division.

I do how ever think that if there where 20+ 602 Wing Pro Sprints each week the racing would be decent; but with only a few cars it does get very boring to watch.
Last edited by nathans1012; 8/17/18 at 5:02 PM.

1 member likes this post: Racer12
8/17/18, 6:38 PM   #20
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer12 View Post
We already have a strong non wing contingent here. Why add another class that looks the same. I am a total convert, 5 years ago I hated wings. Now I like them as much as non wing. The 305 Racesaver races have been damn good. I implore fans to put their biases to the side and see the races for what they are worth. Good racing is good racing, doesn’t matter if it is wings, no wings, micros, Mods, Sprints, bombers, etc...

Bob
The non-wing does seem strong on the surface, however, it still needs a viable feeder class. I recently looked at another post on here that compared wing/non-wing monies won. Truly depressing. Non-wing racing needs to establish its identity as an alternative to wing to a broader fan base. The casual fan must be educated that Sprint cars are not solely winged. The introduction of budget class wing racing into non-wing strongholds is potentially a subtle way to retard the growth of non-wing racing.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, racefan20
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Plymouth, Gas City, & Hartford to run 602 Pro Sprints in '19