IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > First Visit to Indiana (Little 500)
5/30/13, 10:45 PM   #1
First Visit to Indiana (Little 500)
Frank81

Race Count This Year: 9
Race Count Last Year: 41

Long time lurker of IOW but figured I would register after I finally got out to Indiana to watch some racing this past weekend.

Me an a friend drove out to the great state of Indiana from Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada for the first time last weekend to attend the Indy 500 & Little 500.
When we arrived in Anderson we stopped at a great little BBQ restaurant named "The Pitt", we had a GREAT meal there while chatting with the friendly employees that work there, then we were off to Anderson Speedway to do a little tailgating, we thought the rain would hold off so off we went to stand in line, buy tickets and check out the facility. It really is a gem of a little track, even though we are mostly DIRT fans/racers, Anderson looked so unique compared to what we are use to at any dirt or paved track out here in Southern Ontario, New York & Pennsylvania States.

Obviously we were bummed out as I am sure everyone else was when the rains came on Saturday night, but we found a place to hang out with some Anderson locals and had a fun night despite the weather.

We were unsure if we were going to be able to make it back to Anderson after IMS for the Indy 500 on Sunday, but after the big race we decided to giv'er a go anyways, despite the rain we drove through to get back there, we figured we drove all that way to Indiana (8.5 hours one way) and didn't want to chance missing one of the most unique and cool races that I have heard about.
So after stopping in for a bite to eat at Greek's Pizzeria in Anderson which was also FANTASTIC! we made it back to the speedway and watched a great race, as you all know so i'll spare you the time reading what you already know lol.

Thanks to everyone that we met while we stayed the weekend in you're great state, everyone was real friendly and I look forward to visiting Indiana and Anderson Speedway again, i'd also like to attend some dirt races there too, instead of just watching them on youtube.

Thanks again.

Frank
Welland, Ontario, Canada

P.S. Here is a short video clip I recorded with my cell phone when Jim Sheets didn't quite make it to the green flag on Saturday night before the rains came.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N9Qrzwjc54

5/31/13, 1:10 PM   #2
Re: First Visit to Indiana (Little 500)
racinstacie

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 64

Glad you enjoyed Anderson & the races! Moved here (Anderson) 13 years ago from Iowa to enjoy Indiana's fantastic non-wing racing. Loved every minute of it!! Little 500 is one of my personal favorites each year as it's one of a kind. (& I'm a fan of dirt over pavement also) When you do come back...try Indiana midget week or sprint week. They will not disappoint. Glad you enjoyed Indiana on your first trip!

2 members like this post: jim goerge, mowerman
5/31/13, 3:02 PM   #3
Re: First Visit to Indiana (Little 500)
GregD

Glad you got to see the race Sunday. The Little 500 is amazing.
On your next trip down to Anderson we just need to get you to a good pizza, Art's.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > First Visit to Indiana (Little 500)