IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
davidm (Offline)
  #1 9/9/14 9:01 AM
Does anyone outside of USAC, the Silver Crown series and the "Hut 100 for Midgets still run 100 lap races on dirt for open wheel cars anymore? The only other one I can think of is The Super Sportsman 100 that will run this weekend at Lincoln Speedway in Pa.
Joltin Joe (Offline)
  #2 9/9/14 11:52 AM
During super dirt week the Big Block Modifieds run 200 laps on the "Moody Mile"(Syracuse Mile).
Also there are some UMP Modified races that run 100 laps.

Im "Joltin" Joe Liguori and i approve this message.
davidm (Offline)
  #3 9/9/14 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by Joltin Joe:
During super dirt week the Big Block Modifieds run 200 laps on the "Moody Mile"(Syracuse Mile).
Also there are some UMP Modified races that run 100 laps.
I guess that depends on if you consider them (Modifieds) Open Wheels?
Hotshoe65s (Offline)
  #4 9/9/14 12:58 PM
Late Models run 50 and 100 lap races on a weekly basis. I would like to see longer sprint races. Longer races help show who the smart racers are and who can just mash the throttle for a few laps.
2 Likes: 7xCoop, dctracy79
ISF (Offline)
  #5 9/9/14 2:55 PM
Turkey Night Grand Prix is 98 laps on the short 1/2 mile of Perris Auto Speedway.

Silver Crown Championship Dirt Cars properly driven on a one mile dirt track are classic poetry in motion. Using that analogy, Jack Hewitt is one of the greatest poets of all time.
3 Likes: davidm, luckybuc97, Task Force
Flatrightrear (Offline)
  #6 9/9/14 4:03 PM
How many sprints would show up if Eldora ran the Eldora 500 again? The drivers pitched a fit a few years back when the Kings Royal was a 50 lapper. 500 laps with no power steering back in the day separated the men from the boys.
5 Likes: 55fan, 7xCoop, Blitzman, jim goerge, jjracer636
jim goerge (Offline)
  #7 9/9/14 4:43 PM
In the 60s & 70s Haubstadt and I believe Bloomington and Paragan ran 100 lap sprint races every other month The stock cars also ran 100 laps too. Shane Cockrum;s dad Cliff used to run a sprint then after that would go another 100 in a stock car and he won several of them
2 Likes: groove grabber, sfish
Al Pierce (Offline)
  #8 9/9/14 4:59 PM
Originally Posted by Hotshoe65s:
Late Models run 50 and 100 lap races on a weekly basis. I would like to see longer sprint races. Longer races help show who the smart racers are and who can just mash the throttle for a few laps.
SPRINT cars run SPRINTS. Short, all out, throttle at the firewall racin'. Long races are called NASCAR. Race the first few laps to get in position, run 450 laps while everyone sleeps, then those who are able SPRINT the last ten laps.
3 Likes: 55fan, billw, jim goerge
AP64 (Offline)
  #9 9/9/14 6:10 PM
We just ran a 100 lapper at cridersville speedway in ohio this past weekend on dirt, but they were karts. Does that count?
Hotshoe65s (Offline)
  #10 9/9/14 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Al Pierce:
SPRINT cars run SPRINTS. Short, all out, throttle at the firewall racin'. Long races are called NASCAR. Race the first few laps to get in position, run 450 laps while everyone sleeps, then those who are able SPRINT the last ten laps.
And there is nothing wrong with an all out type race. I'm just saying longer races are cool in their own right. They make drivers use their head and conserve their equipment and tires. Plus it allows for great storylines.

The World 100 was this past Saturday (prestigious late model race at eldora). Scott Bloomquist started 8th. Took the lead on lap 19. Then on a lap 20 caution he got sent to the tail for stopping to have a window net removed (it wasn't your typical window net). But he came from
32nd back to the lead by lap 70 something and won by 8 seconds. It was about the single greatest display of domination I've ever seen at a dirt race. And it wouldn't have been possible in a normal 30 lap race.
2 Likes: Flatrightrear, Puppy