IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > #71 Hoffman Car
3/24/08, 2:29 PM   #11
Re: #71 Hoffman Car
cecil98

I'm pretty sure he dumped at Salem, too. Rob, where are you? Help us out here!:O:

3/24/08, 2:34 PM   #12
SUPERDUKE
Banned

It Was Winchester! I Think I Was The First Guy To Drive It At Winchester After They Fixed It! Got Spun Out Passing Bruce Walkup In The Heat And Was Leading The Semi When The Engine Blew Up Big Time!

3/24/08, 3:15 PM   #13
cecil98

Hey! I could be losing my mind/memory!!

3/24/08, 9:41 PM   #14
Racerrob

It was Winchester for the big crash. I want to say it was New Bremen that was the next weekend. The crew did not start work on the car until Wednesday but had it ready to go that weekend! We do have a crash sequence that is amazing to see. You would swear that no one could have survived but after viewing you get a good idea why arm restraints are required.

Rob Hoffman

3/24/08, 10:08 PM   #15
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I'll never forget that crash. It was Oct. 16, 1971 and it was my first trip to Winchester. It didn't seem possible that Larry could have survived that crash, but I believe a shoulder injury was all that he received.
I remember The Evansville Courier ran a photo of the car in midair with Larry's arms extended far above his head and a caption which read "Cannon Misfires".

3/24/08, 10:46 PM   #16
tonyj

These pics Al posts are fascinating for sure....before "my time", but cool none the less. I have a question though....where's the air filter? Did they even run them, & if not, didn't it just eat the cylinders alive?

3/24/08, 11:24 PM   #17
Racerrob

I remember we sodiered a wire screen on top of each ram tube. Don't know how that was on cylinder wear.

The pavement cars I built I the 90's also ran the wire screen but no air filters. Didn't have any abnormal wear then.

Rob Hoffman

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > #71 Hoffman Car