IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili bowl
1/20/19, 11:38 AM   #21
Re: Chili bowl
jim goerge

I had a couple that are new to racing at the house for the race. Their main question last night was why all the delay with track prep? Even they knew it shouldn" t take as long as it did to rework the track as they had been to Haubstadt a couple of times. As they were getting ready to leave at 1 am. heard them say they liked the racing but they weren't sure if they would be going to a track after last night. It sure wasn't very impressive for new fans Yeleyfan you are a 100 per cent right!!!!!!
Last edited by jim goerge; 1/20/19 at 11:42 AM.

1/20/19, 12:06 PM   #22
FEATHERDUSTER

The Chili Bowl is taking a page from the Earl Baltes book on how to operate a successful race track.

If I could have sold one more hot dog I would have broke even.

I got to watch racing almost all day long,from the comfort of my home while it was snowing outside my window, never stood in one line all day.

Thank you Chili Bowl and MAV TV for a great race and Thank You Christoper Bell for a fantastic finish.

I swear some folks would ***** if you hung them with new rope.

1/20/19, 2:56 PM   #23
dkdorkboy

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintcarfanatic View Post
Even seen some people on twitter wondering why they did a couple of things they did taking time when a feature should of been running. 1 or 2 of them some of you hold in high regard.

Told the guy's I set with a couple of years ago that I love the racing it's the jack'n around that has to go.
They could at least bring in Billy Squier to sing the stroke.

1 member likes this post: Sprintcarfanatic
1/20/19, 2:58 PM   #24
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

I had a friend over last night to watch his first Midget race and Chili Bowl. He's an old CART fan. All he kept says was we've got to go next year we've got to go!!!

1 member likes this post: RockinRy
1/20/19, 3:08 PM   #25
jdull99

Yes, it was long, but there are 100s of hours of NASCAR programming on all year - which many complain about - so, I say enjoy the 4-5 hours of LIVE midget coverage ONE TIME A YEAR (I don't have Mav, so forgive me if there is another one - CB & Turkey Night would be about the only ones I could make "appointment TV"). I'm most thankful MAV stuck with it & didn't cut away b4 it was over!!!

I plowed snow the morning before, so I really had only slept for like 28 minutes in the 36hours before it came on, but I wasn't gona miss it (even if it was the least I have cared about it in years, just cuz...its still cool tho). My ony wish was they'd show the FULL prelim features (like a REAL alphabet highlight package or the features from the nights before - all in order instead of sporadically around the broadcast) - instead of some of the interviews (which, unless you are sitting at home - are hard to hear). But ya, if I had MAV, id'a recorded it & listened to everything again, while I was doing smthn else...or it would sit in the PILES of such recordings I struggle to get to...lol. I have like 4 Eldora truck races I intend to catch up on one day...lol
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, davidm, FEATHERDUSTER, John P Huss, luckybuc97
1/20/19, 3:34 PM   #26
JHarris

One of the reasons I don't go any more. My choice. To damn old for all the nonsense.

1 member likes this post: rclaridge
1/20/19, 3:39 PM   #27
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintcarfanatic View Post
Thought Bell started 2nd due to the Clash or whatever they called it. They raced 2 cars per starting with 9 - 10 & the winner moved on.
My source said he was into the beer when he texted.

1 member likes this post: Sprintcarfanatic
1/20/19, 3:43 PM   #28
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeleyfan76 View Post
The question was why does it take so long to run 2c, 2b, and 1a. We get told we should be happy we saw it at home. The question was why does it take so long. We get stats about tix prices, full grandstands, and how many cars entered. The question was why does it take so long. We get the winner makes a last lap pass coming from 15th. Only thing is he started second after the god awful boring pole shuffle.The question was why does it take so long and a mention of who is doing the track prep. We get that another guy who is not there couldn’t compare. The thing is we won’t get a strait answer because it would require being negative about the track prep guy. The broadcast clearly had dedicated a certain percent of air time to laud TS for his efforts. Aside from a live interview while riding on the tractor from Argabright we couldn’t get enough about the prep. Maybe they can work it in for next year. The question was why did it take so long. The answer is that the final 5 races are more about the social gathering that the chili bowl has become and not the racing itself. It’s about KKR, and CMR with all of their cars. It’s about so many other things than just the racing which is what most of us who cannot attend are looking for when we turn on MAVtv on the final nite. A break from winter for three hours and watch racing.
The question was why does it take so long Brent? Why don’t you answer with I don’t know? Clearly by your answers you don’t. We know you are one of Tony’s water boys and have to defend at all costs. 3 hours is plenty of time to run those races.
I did not see any of it. I spent 16 hours removing snow with a shovel. Had no idea who was prepping the track. All I knew is it wasn't Tommy. I picked that up from multiple posts. I have helped prep tracks before, and know with that many cars it would be a challenge for any body.

1/20/19, 4:02 PM   #29
RockinRy

Race Count This Year: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
Not to mention 300 plus cars running all day. 2 Problems Haubstadt and all other tracks don't have to deal with. I just saw where Bell started 15th, so how bad could it have been?
Bell Started 2nd.....Fell to 4th and slowly rallied to win.

1 member likes this post: luckybuc97
1/20/19, 4:02 PM   #30
popham

Why was Darland black flagged, we were there and did not see anything. He really showed his displeasure with the officials going around the track before he pulled off.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili bowl