IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indianapolis 500
5/9/18, 4:56 AM   #31
Re: Indianapolis 500
Puppy

And here we go, the same old 60 year old argument....
Has this guy bothered to check out the Indy Lights entry list for the Freedom 100 with Windom and Hamilton Jr. on it? Wait a minute, does Hamilton Jr. count because he hasn't run that much dirt, or that much of his racing has been in a winged pavement sprint car???
If he thinks these guys (current IndyCar drivers) are Nancy's just because they haven't turned a lap at Kokomo or Gas City well, it just shows the mentality of the individual.... If he thinks Kannan and Helio aren't true badasses in a race car well he hasn't been watching the last 15-20 years...
I was excited when Jay Drake, Dolanski, BC and now with Windom and Davey H. Jr. I hope they do well and arrive with a good 500 ride or more.... As someone earlier alluded to, if any of these guys really wanted to make it to the Speedway, they would have taken a rear engine approach to their careers like Ryan Hunter-Reay, Rossi, Newgarden, Rahal, Marco, Pigot, Kimball, Kaiser, Hilderbrand, Danica or Daly. But then he would have never heard of them because they never ran Kokomo and this guy would still be pissed off!

5/9/18, 8:13 PM   #32
superstock30

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 15+

I for one would like to see almost any current Indycar driver try dirt!! TK, RHR, JNew, Will Power, hell any of them! I think most would do okay, but I think hanging the tail out at Bloomington, LPS, or Kokomo would be new to most of them. I would pay good money to see this!

5/9/18, 8:53 PM   #33
Leohr46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
I too saw Steve & Jack race the 500 way back in '97 & '98. In '97 anyone could have walked in for free and watched Steve finish 14th from most any stand in the place, including the Penthouse sections, on the Tuesday after Memorial Day due to the rainout's on Sunday and Monday. If you paid $20.00 you got ripped off.

Not sure where "anywhere I wanted" seats actually are but an Andrew Jackson wouldn't have bought you an , E, B or A-Stand Penthouse seat to watch ol' Jack finish 12th back in '98, that's for sure. Security checks those tickets pretty closely before you ever get near the Penthouse seating areas. Unless of course it's a 3 day rainout circumstance like in '97, in which case it was possible to set most anywhere as long as no one shows up with a ticket for the seat you're setting in.
I was there that day alao. Terrible crowd, but the race went on just the same. Hated to see Steve's day end right in front of me.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
5/9/18, 9:14 PM   #34
Brickyard

n
Last edited by Brickyard; 5/9/18 at 9:33 PM.

5/9/18, 9:23 PM   #35
Brickyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
Can hardly wait for ol' Brickyard to trot out those White Papers again and set the OP straight once and for all.
Don't need to, it pretty much stands on it's own being that it accomplished what it set forth to do. The one thing he left out was the Emergency Idiot Grandson Clause.....but as they say, hind sight is 20/20.

Dan would've eaten your breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Then of course you'd turn around and blame Penske for taking your ham omlet on the morning of 1964, a full four years before he showed up as a team owner.

If one thing is certain, it's that you are an amusing individual.
Last edited by Brickyard; 5/10/18 at 6:36 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indianapolis 500