IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ok,here it is.
8/18/17, 9:00 AM   #1
Ok,here it is.
david mitchell
Banned

Finally,for all of you out there who over the past year who have tried to say that a silver crown car cannot run both the dirt and pavement i give you the kazmark 92 being run at grundy county in preparation for springfield.dirt car on pavement.wow,that is so wrong.looked to me like with a full field it would be quite a race.same car can run on both.even the person who posted it said this is for those of you who think this is not possible.now,say after me,you do not need two cars to run both dirt and pavement.you do not need specialized cars.minor changes to the car and it can run both.today,if usac announced,effective next year one car has to be used on both surfaces your car count problem is over.a little purse structure changeand a few other tweaks and you are set.please,no one say ever again,that this cannot be done.ok,let me hear why we can't do it.🙉🙉🙉

3 members like this post: flagboy55, Hotrod, meteorman
8/18/17, 9:30 AM   #2
Re: Ok,here it is.
jdull99

When was the last dirt car to WIN on pavement? (I really don't know). & I mean one that ran dirt the race b4 or after in like the same year...not one that ran dirt in 1998 and then was converted or smthn...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

3 members like this post: Baylands, flagboy55, Pat O'Connor Fan
8/18/17, 9:35 AM   #3
david mitchell
Banned

Good question jason.maybe our historian mr.funk is needed.

8/18/17, 10:46 AM   #4
GRAYBEARD

David, a lot of these guys don't even want to run dirt. The race at the legendary Williams Grove only drew 22 cars. Two didn't make it thru hot laps. the race started 20 cars and 6 dropped out by lap 20. It wasn't a bad race at all but it's hard to get the owners to even run the dirt races. Some only want to run the mile tracks.

5 members like this post: Baylands, Coach, flagboy55, Pat O'Connor Fan, tirespinner
8/18/17, 12:00 PM   #5
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Yeah Joss never got to make a complete lap at the Grove. I watch him come down the front straight and knew he was going too fast for the track conditions.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, jim goerge
8/18/17, 12:29 PM   #6
ThrowbackRacingTeam

If the rules were in place to minimize the possible changes then I don't see why it couldn't work. It all depends on what they allow as in off sets, engine placement, ride height, steering gear, fuel tank, etc. They could require a restrictor plate for the modern pavement only cars the first year or two so they could run at first. I think the rules would be pretty easy to enforce. Most of it you can tell just by looking at it. If it looks close, then measure. They should do this for sprints and midgets too. I miss some of those races. Winchester was one of the coolest places on the USAC schedule. BTW I fielded a dirt Midget that ran on pavement and a pavement Silver Crown we ran on dirt to an 11th place finish at Eldora with right hand steer and 4 link rear. It CAN be done!!!

3 members like this post: Baylands, jdull99, oppweld
8/18/17, 12:31 PM   #7
LRP36

To settle this for everyone, we took the car to Grundy to shake it down and make sure the issue we had at the Grove was gone. It was either this or take it to a chassis dyno. Now I'm not saying that you can't run a dirt car on pavement, it can be done with the right setup on the car. I know this for a fact because I built what was a dirt midget chassis to run on pavement and it beat some of the best USAC midget drivers at the time at Grundy for 7 wins. And as far as I know, the last dirt car which was actually a combo car to win a pavement race was in 1997 at Phoenix with Jimmy Kite in it...

8/18/17, 1:08 PM   #8
david mitchell
Banned

Thank you,thankyou.😄😄😄

8/18/17, 1:11 PM   #9
david mitchell
Banned

Very good post about the sprint cars and midgets.what do you think killed pavement for usac sprint cars and midgets.specialized cars.they should of banned them immediately.

2 members like this post: captrat, jdull99
8/18/17, 1:32 PM   #10
GRAYBEARD

I'm not saying it can't be done, but you have to car owners that want to race more than three or four times a year. The reason some left coast cars don't come east is because they want to race a couple times a month and talk about it the rest of the time. It costs just as much for Indiana cars to travel west as Cal. cars to come east. Even the fans out there act like it's a crime to take a vacation day for the Ovals. Not a very good croud on Thursday or Friday.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ok,here it is.