IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thirty-one years ago
7/21/21, 9:47 PM   #11
flagboy55

Great reflections by all of you. Rich was truly one of the greatest USAC racers of all time in my book. I am amazed that when racing enthusiasts talk about greats, his name is not always brought up. I was fortunate enough to see his evolution from a midget racer to contending for wins and winning a lot in every USAC discipline. Myself and my friends were unloading race cars at our shop from the nights events at the local racetrack when someone came in and broke the news. Devastating! RIP

7/22/21, 3:16 AM   #12
Re: Thirty-one years ago
jim goerge

I was at the Kings Royal and over heard a TV crew talking about the crash. I

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, i love dirt track racing, tirespinner
7/22/21, 5:17 AM   #13
tigerone

We were there watching Rich put on another great performance. There are so many images that are forever locked into my mind of the crash and what followed. A great racer gone too soon.

7/22/21, 8:03 AM   #14
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Sad to say he wasn't my favorite but I didn't know him. You could say he was always one of the favorites to win anywhere he showed up and yes, he qualified for Pocono and would have been his first Cup Race. Also was credited for the Win at Salem that nigh as he had a huge lead with one lap to go.

Very sad, I've not been in many pit areas lately but used to pit for some teams including sprints. Certain drivers on race night had a look and still do I suppose. THE LOOK OF TOTAL FOCUS ON WINNING. It's a look of, *This is not a good time to approach them and talk* No matter what they're like off the track. That Focus look is common among champions. Rich was one of them.

From the sadness of his loss has come a lot of good. I have to believe many lives have been saved from what was learned. Window nets (Cage nets and later full containment seats. I still see some use both) and the Elinor Vogler Scholarship fund which I urge everyone and every club to help.

7/22/21, 11:22 AM   #15
BrentTFunk

One thing that has always stood out to me about that night says a lot about Rich and his family. It was the lead story on the then 11 o'clock news. Rich hadn't been gone an hour, and the family asked for donations to be made in his memory to the Brad Doty recovery fund.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thirty-one years ago