IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Jacobs ladder length?
8/21/12, 11:21 PM   #21
Re: Jacobs ladder length?
abbott92

I was reading the post on jacobs ladder and am LOST on how to find the roll center of a jobs ladder can you give me more detail on this. not sure how to connect the points. thanks

8/30/12, 3:14 AM   #22
infoleather

The longer the arc should be maintained more permanent car release of cars entering the corner, the shorter arc RR load faster.

9/25/12, 7:28 PM   #23
lovindirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Fast View Post
At one time I saw some midget cages at Leaders Edge in which the clevis mount on the cage was slotted for adjustment up and down. They were serrated in the slot to keep them in position once you locked the nuts down. A very nice piece but I never did hear how they worked out.

I think messsing with the strap lengths is a bad idea unless you want to spend the time mapping out the arcs as described. If you are going to do that you also need to map the side to side movement of the rear end created by the rear arm/radius rod configuration so you can match the arc of the ladder to it. Which holes the radius rods are in will change the side to side movement of the rear end as well.
Also, the side to side movement is slightly different in roll than it is in bounce.

Maybe that is why the mount spacing (14"), strap length (7") and spacing of the straps on the ladder (7") have stayed the same for so many years. It is a good compromise for all conditions based on current tube heights, arm lengths/angles and radius rod lengths/locations/angles.

Man, time to quit cause I'm starting to sound like LarryO.

There was a very good article on this in an old edition of Open Wheel. I have it somewhere, but am too lazy to dig for it right now.
I remember this article also, I made many a different length straps and never got to use them. My father who made me read and study the article in Open Wheel and I wanted to try it but have not yet. My current driver chose to spend money on Cages to do something that is being spoken of about different length straps. I wanted to try the straps first and save the money. Straps are cheap compared to bird Cages. But I don't know anything LOL! oh well.

10/1/12, 9:07 AM   #24
Sawdust101

If you can find Open Wheel Dec 94 pg 50 " Jacob's Ladders and Rear Suspension Geometry" might help out. They show how your roll center changes as it moves. Good Luck.

2 members like this post: BKK, schwarzracen27
2/12/17, 12:31 PM   #25
jumpin14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRA91 View Post
A 14" ladder is definetely going to free the car up on entry as well as all the way thru the corner,out here on the west coast I've run both a 13 5/8 and a 14" ladder,the 13 5/8 is what i normally run but if the the track is very tacky with a big cushion and I'm having a tough time getting the car to rotate thru the corner thats when I would run the 14" ladder.

Like what some guys mentioned earlier,the shorter ladder reacts a little quicker in getting RR bite into the car,the longer ladder delays the reaction time.
Is this advice on a non wing set up or a wing car?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Jacobs ladder length?