IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Does weight matter?
5/23/11, 9:33 AM   #11
Re: Does weight matter?
TQ29m

Gary, these guys know where the problem is, has been for years, but they don't want to address it, some of these guys, who love racing, are spotting anywhere from 150-200 to the guys on the lite end, I guess no one ever played on a teeter-totter, the closer the balance gets, the more fun it is. It really makes no sense to mandate a different size engine, and watch everyone walk away, TQ's are not for the "faint of heart", they're more like old time midget and sprint car racing, you need to be a mechanic, and a machinist, and a thinker, to run one, that's where the fun is, if all you want to do, is go race something, get yourself a "Lightening Sprint", or something that you just throw money at, and it runs. The problem is, and everyone knows it, is the weight issue, which can be easily resolved. Thanks, Chris, for starting this post, maybe someone who understands, will read it, and make it right, that might cause a lot of cars to come back out and race, wouldn't that be awful? Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 5/23/11 at 9:34 AM.

5/23/11, 9:52 AM   #12
9racing

Lighter is not always the best, although it sure does get you farther than being over weight.. on a slick dry track, I would prefer a little extra weight, esp over the rear wheels.. now with that said.. if your going to spend money to get lighter, really look into making your "rotating mass" lighter.. Drive line, and so on.. lets the motor come to life a little easier.. just a suggestion

5/23/11, 10:50 AM   #13
TQ29m

One would be amazed at the difference in weight, between a beadlock, and non-beadlock wheel, and the motor will appreciate it, same with rim/wheel sizes, we have the luxury of being able to use either a 10" wheel, or a 13" wheel, the wheel and tire combo, will easily take 15lb off each rear corner, and the motor really likes that, same with the front wheels and tires, that poor little motor has to get them rolling also. Axle sizes, hub material, ring gear weight, driveshaft, all contribute to what the motor has to deal with to get it moving, as well as the total mass. Just a lot of things that contribute to the whole picture. Another thing with my 600cc motor, even tho it's liquid cooled, it's a good 30lb lighter than the old Honda, and that's weight off the front end, that doesn't need to get moving, makes getting a bite easier. Bob

5/23/11, 12:34 PM   #14
thebus79h

If you want to help out the TQ deal, give them a motor with power. Bob is right that it doesn't say you can run just the Honda 836, but the rules aren't there to use a Yamaha R1, or even an old Honda 900. Get with the times, and open up engine rules, and that extra weight won't matter as much, as you've then got a higher horsepower car, with smaller tires.

But if the average car is 825 pounds, then that's what the rule should be for now.

In micros, its 750, and very few are right there. But when a car is heavier, and you have more motor, and more tire, it doesn't make that big of a difference.
Posted via Mobile Device

5/23/11, 1:55 PM   #15
TQ29m

We have plenty of engine options, built into our rule book, which some/most probably either don't read/understand. The "new" rule on weight, is car/driver 800lbs, it was, 625lbs, car only, so did it change any? The idea here, is to "level" the playing field, and not hurt any one's wallet too bad, yes, some may have to add weight, some quite a bit, some none, or very little, but, the more you add to the bottom, it just takes that much off the top, so to speak, and yes, it may take a bit of ingenuity to do it, and be sure it will stay, but there are ways to do it, and not even see it. I don't think opening up the engine specs would be wise, as I said, there are plenty of options in the rule book now. Bob

5/23/11, 3:29 PM   #16
thebus79h

Bob with that being said, could you go out and run a Yamnaha R1 and have the injection converted to alcohol and race it right now?
Reason I ask is I know people are having to spend 3 to 4 thousand on a motor that is a pain to work on, and rather unreliable. You can spend that same amount on an R1 for example, convert the EFI and go race it for the same amount, and be very competitive with it.

The weight deal does make sense, and think that needs to be addressed, but IMO (yes, its off topic), engines are a much bigger concern.
Posted via Mobile Device

5/23/11, 5:16 PM   #17
TQ29m

No, as far as our rules exist today, and I'd like to see it stay that way. My 600 Yamaha is very competitive, top 5, or better, almost any night we run, and I know you won't believe this, but including the Hilborn injection, I have under 1k in it, everything bought off Ebay, and when I started, in 05, with the 600, we ran that first engine 62 nights, without any engine failures, and that was just a dummy engine, all the parts were from different places, I just put it together, to see how it would perform. That motor made me a lot of money! I still haven't put any new brgs, or rings in any of the 3 I now have, no need, a motor out of a bike, w/ less than 7k on it, is just getting broke in. I usually run them one night, and ck the compression, and it's always right on the factory specs, plus, I am able to leave the starter on it, so I can fire it up, on the jackstands in the shop. The Triumph 3 cylinder, 675cc, makes a good engine also. Bob

5/24/11, 1:14 AM   #18
buckshot3448

Bob what year 600 do you have. i ran the 99-02 yamaha and loved tht motor in the micros. i would much rather run a newer 600 in a tq then these old honda motors
Last edited by buckshot3448; 5/24/11 at 6:48 AM.

5/24/11, 6:37 AM   #19
backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer65 View Post
i would much rather see them do a sealed stock motor that could be cheaper and lot more fun, maybe take 1000cc engine and keep it stock and sealed. what thoughts on that? TQ racing is going down hill last couple years and sad to say it but neither group seems to be doing very good, would a stock engine help it out?
man sealed engine rules, i dont like either. To some people one of the joys of racing is playing with ther engines for good or bad. I'd rather see ways to limit how much horsepower you can put to the ground in some way. Also any series that runs a 1000cc class should also allow oilcooled gsxr 1200's. If you want more cars why make things obsolete when they're still readily available. In drag racing the early 90's gsxr engine is still a favorite, it's extremely durable and easier to work with.

5/24/11, 8:38 AM   #20
Al Soran

ALL other things being equal.....less weight would most likely be faster. But, keep this in mind. If you could squeeze Steve Kinser's 230+ body into one of those cars, there is NO doubt, he would be the one you'd have to deal with for the win. Take that for what it's worth. I definitely would not change rules mid-season. Just show up, and give them everything you've got. Make them ask themselves if they should be adding weight.

1 member likes this post: STP
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Does weight matter?