IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 2009 race season.
8/13/09, 10:21 PM   #21
Re: 2009 race season.
Al Pierce

Race Count This Year: 49
Race Count Last Year: 43

I'm surprised that the car counts and attendance have been what they are. I think both have been good given the current state of the economy. Down side is the number of rain outs. The last couple of years have been particularly bad. I'll jump on the Fitzpatrick bandwagon. When he first started you could tell he had the intestinal fortitude but he has now developed into a driver. Enjoy watching him run. All things considered, I believe unwinged sprint car racing has had a good year. And, some really good events remaining.

8/13/09, 11:03 PM   #22
Re: 2009 race season.
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Devon,

A couple of thought provoking questions. Here are my top three in both categories.

What has surprised me the most? 1)I would say the number of top notch drivers without full time rides. I know the economy has a lot to do with it, but I would think that would hurt inexperienced drivers more than the top guns. 2)The John Memmer situation at Danville. If I wouldn't have seen it with my own eyes, I probably would have been very skeptical. 3)The number of rain outs/cancellations/enhancements that have transpired.

Who has surprised me the most? 1)Coleman Gulick stands out the most. A truly gifted driver who has shown so much maturity for his very young age. He has been easy on equipment and respectful of the other drivers around him. He is so much fun to watch. 2)Blake Fitzpatrick is a real gasser. He started off sprint week opening some folks eyes and you knew it wouldn't be long before he found victory lane. Another fun youngster to keep an eye on. 3)Bryan Clauson. The last night of sprint week he and Levi were in a struggle for the points championship. With a slim one point lead heading into the feature he and Levi were starting side by side. Whoever could finish ahead of the other was surely the champion. Bryan received a terrible break when three cars in front of Levi on the inside row got tangled up on the initial start. Relagated to the back of the field, that gave Levi the opportunity to move up three rows. Instead of just riding it out, young Mr. Clauson got up on the wheel and showed his mettle. He eventually ran out of laps but still came close to making it a bang/bang finish. IMO, it was the drive of the year so far.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 2009 race season.