IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Who thinks it’s better?
7/16/23, 11:29 AM   #21
Re: Who thinks it’s better?
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfan49 View Post
It's called a sprint race with sprint cars for a reason.
To me the days when the crew chief and the driver walked the track and then went back and set the car up the way they thought would be the best over the whole of the race.
With no wing sliders, shock adjusters, or pit stops the setup was not the best for the whole race and the adjustments were the driver's talent.
Bingo! 49 your post nailed it. With all of things you mentioned about the cars. In my opinion, which is not usually shared by many, the technology has surpassed the potential of the cars. Less downforce, harder tires, and less horsepower would bring the element of driver talent more to the forefront.

7/16/23, 12:54 PM   #22
The Old Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeleyfan76 View Post
Bingo! 49 your post nailed it. With all of things you mentioned about the cars. In my opinion, which is not usually shared by many, the technology has surpassed the potential of the cars. Less downforce, harder tires, and less horsepower would bring the element of driver talent more to the forefront.
I haven't watched F1 in years, but when I did, I liked when it rained. It was driving talent that won, not the cubic dollars of the super teams.

3 members like this post: Blitzman, oppweld, TQ29m
7/16/23, 12:55 PM   #23
BrentTFunk

I do not like fuel stops at all. It appeared to me that the majority of the paying customers didn't seem to mind. It was said to be the largest crowd in track history, so a lot of people voted in favor of it, with their $$. I choose to watch the broadcast at home. Yeleyfan you are right. In my opinion, technology is the enemy of all racing.

7/16/23, 2:07 PM   #24
streetglider

My two cents, a simple solution.... For as long as i can remember, the standard fuel cell for sprint cars was 33 gallons. I seen many 40-50 lap features. They started running 28-29 gal fuel cells to save some weight, and that became the trend. Some low budget teams would still run the 33 gal tank and just not fill them up to full. I think if a promoter would run a 40-50 lap show with NO FUEL STOP, then i would simply slap on my 33 gal tank and not take a chance of running out of fuel. Who wouldnt do that for a Million bucks or 175K ?????

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, captrat, flagboy55, Leohr46
7/16/23, 2:22 PM   #25
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

So there was a fuel stop in the KR last night too? WTH?

I mean I seen many with many reds and they let em open red it with no tire change. But a actual stoppage for break. That sucks.

2 members like this post: luckybuc97, streetglider
7/16/23, 2:24 PM   #26
Frank Reiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglider View Post
My two cents, a simple solution.... For as long as i can remember, the standard fuel cell for sprint cars was 33 gallons. I seen many 40-50 lap features. They started running 28-29 gal fuel cells to save some weight, and that became the trend. Some low budget teams would still run the 33 gal tank and just not fill them up to full. I think if a promoter would run a 40-50 lap show with NO FUEL STOP, then i would simply slap on my 33 gal tank and not take a chance of running out of fuel. Who wouldnt do that for a Million bucks or 175K ?????
"Green flag fuel flow for winged 410s will be about 2 gallons per minute, hence about 25-26 gallons for 12.5 minutes (50 laps) under green. Yellow flag fuel flow will be about .6 gal/minute. How many minutes of yellow were there at the Million?"

If the green flag burn (see above) is 25-26 gallons, then the remaining 7-8 gallons (in a 33 gal. tank) is good for only 12-13 minutes total yellow flag time over the whole of a 50 lap race. Gonna make it? Nope.

7/16/23, 2:47 PM   #27
streetglider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Reiner View Post
"Green flag fuel flow for winged 410s will be about 2 gallons per minute, hence about 25-26 gallons for 12.5 minutes (50 laps) under green. Yellow flag fuel flow will be about .6 gal/minute. How many minutes of yellow were there at the Million?"

If the green flag burn (see above) is 25-26 gallons, then the remaining 7-8 gallons (in a 33 gal. tank) is good for only 12-13 minutes total yellow flag time over the whole of a 50 lap race. Gonna make it? Nope.
Under caution laps they would '' lean it down" to conserve fuel. Been there, done that.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
7/16/23, 2:50 PM   #28
streetglider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
So there was a fuel stop in the KR last night too? WTH?

I mean I seen many with many reds and they let em open red it with no tire change. But a actual stoppage for break. That sucks.
I agree Nungester, that was my whole point.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, flagboy55, luckybuc97
7/16/23, 5:20 PM   #29
flagboy55

As far as last night goes, they said they would have to have a stop because the sticky track, humidity and other excuses they come up with. Ok, I’ll bite, but they had several cautions and Gio had an incident on lap 12. Now I’m no mathematical genius but using my fingers toes and an abacus I deducted that that would have left 28 laps. Why they didn’t make the call to fuel then is beyond me. If they can’t make 28 the problem is bigger than just we think it is. Brent however is correct again in that our opinion doesn’t mean much because they filled the place. I’m just trying to find logic in why anyone thinks a Sprint Car Race is better with a pit stop. So I’m not going to the National’s until they go back to a race with no stops (veiled excuse for not doing something I probably won’t do anyway)

7/16/23, 8:16 PM   #30
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I'll let you members of the braintrust figure it out. As for me, I think the four or five day party has more to do with attendance than anything. Not going to get into it again but it's the reason I quit going, The few who couldn't handle brewed or distilled spirits.

Earl would have USAC Weds.
All Stars Thurs
Night Before Fri
And KR on Sat.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/16/23 at 9:26 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Who thinks it’s better?