IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Who thinks it’s better?
7/15/23, 8:59 AM   #1
Who thinks it’s better?
flagboy55

Just refurbished my old soapbox after this weekend’s Million, and I’m going to climb up on it. There’s room for more, and I hope you will join me, but I have absolutely no problem standing alone, with a beer in one hand and a cigar in the other proclaiming my stance. Who, on God’s green earth thinks it’s better to have a break in a Sprint Car Race? I truly hate the idea, I mean with a passion. It’s uselessness was on full display Thursday night at Eldora as coming out of the break as a crash that took out some good cars and basically caused the rest of the race to be, in my opinion, kind of a snooze fest. We had 7 race fans in the garage watching the event. Now these are veterans, who have been watching for a long time. We took a poll, and the result was unanimous. The question was 40 laps straight or 50 with a break? I’m pretty sure you guys know how that went, 40 was an emphatic winner. I hate it at Knoxville, I hate it at the Tusky, and anywhere else it’s implemented. Kinda goes against the definition of Sprint Race. Anyhow, the beer is cold up here on my soapbox, come on up and join me

7/15/23, 9:26 AM   #2
Re: Who thinks it’s better?
Stevensville Mike

I'll be Number 8: Either put larger Silver Crown-type tanks on them or cut the distance.

7/15/23, 9:35 AM   #3
DJlives

I have disliked at Knoxville since day 1

5 members like this post: billw, cowboyhar69, DirtTrackTherapy16J, flagboy55, oppweld
7/15/23, 10:24 AM   #4
motorhead748

Make me #9 or 10 whatever the count is.
When I saw that they were having a break I didn’t even care about going & I didn’t

7/15/23, 11:49 AM   #5
Kart#51

Yep, the break disrupted that race. Guys we’re starting to move at lap 20. Broke momentum and heat cycle in tires and fuel load burn off.

Give me 40 straight. The last 10 laps of a 40 lap per at Eldora changes things drastically. Historically, the leader at 30 doesn’t lead at 40.

7/15/23, 12:29 PM   #6
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Breaks in short track racing, SUCK!
Sucks in Nascar too. Don't mind stage racing, It has guys racing for top spots early. But mandatory cautions with em. SUCK and remove strategy.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/15/23 at 12:30 PM.

7/15/23, 2:05 PM   #7
yeleyfan76

55 your garage sounds like a fun place to be. Agreed that mandatory fuel stops are not a sprint race. Go 40 or as Stevensville Mike said, make them run a larger tank.
I don’t agree the stop/break is the reason some contenders were eliminated in that crash. It easily could have happened after any normal red/yellow.
Your soapbox sounds like it has produced many a fine story in it’s time. Someday I’d like to have a seat in the back of your garage and listen to the seven of you tell those stories. Next Friday starts ISW 23. It’s time to saddle up and be ready for the best week of the year. Probably something will happen that your soapbox will need to be used. ��

2 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, flagboy55
7/15/23, 2:40 PM   #8
dsc1600

I’ll bet they can’t go 40 laps on a tank of fuel. We’ll see tonight if it goes non-stop but I’d bet you’ll have to have a fuel stop anyway if there is more than 1 caution. And 30 laps is way too short for a big race.

Who wants to see someone run out of fuel at the end of a big race anyway?

1 member likes this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J
7/15/23, 3:09 PM   #9
DirtTrackTherapy16J

So not trying to be stupid here, I dont know specs on the cars but are Late Models or Mods tanks that much bigger then a 410 Sprint?

7/15/23, 4:06 PM   #10
kendirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtTrackTherapy16J View Post
So not trying to be stupid here, I dont know specs on the cars but are Late Models or Mods tanks that much bigger then a 410 Sprint?
Slightly larger tanks.

Late Models are on gas so you're looking at 50-100% better fuel mileage.

Modifieds typically don't make the power of either a Sprint Car or Late Model. Even if they do, especially if they do, they're not on the throttle all the way around like the two other classes.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, Stevensville Mike
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Who thinks it’s better?