IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Silver Crown engine
9/2/23, 12:32 PM   #1
Silver Crown engine
Joe Schaub

I thought I read a post here a few years ago that someone was pushing the idea to adopt ASCS 360 engine rules for the USAC Silver Crown series.

Is that still an idea that could be done and made to work?

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
9/2/23, 1:08 PM   #2
Re: Silver Crown engine
Frank Reiner

JS:

If a comparison (a table of the differences perhaps) is provided, and an argument is made to support a change from one specification to another, then there will be a basis for comment in this forum.

9/2/23, 2:14 PM   #3
Joe Schaub

That is why I asked. I don't know and am yielding to those who may know or help post info to get a discussion for or against it going.

3 members like this post: interpreter66, PIT CART, tirespinner
9/2/23, 2:34 PM   #4
opnwhlmnd

The Silver Crown Series has the biggest fields in years why would they want to mess with the recent success.

The ASCS engine with ASCS spec cylinder heads is around 100hp less than the Silver Crown engines.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Hubie48, oldfan49, tirespinner
9/2/23, 2:50 PM   #5
Joe Schaub

Thank you the reply.

My reason was during the Flo coverage they kept saying these engine are so unique that spare parts are not easily available. If the ASCS engine and the Silver Crown were the same, wouldn't that help with part availability and interchangeability?

Just an idea to ponder and discuss

3 members like this post: dkdorkboy, oppweld, tirespinner
9/2/23, 3:40 PM   #6
badcoupe

It would but the ascs engines are crazy expensive plus many of the silver crown engines are fords with the c3 Yates heads and they are years ahead of the antiquated ascs Chevy head design.

3 members like this post: opnwhlmnd, oppweld, tirespinner
9/2/23, 4:44 PM   #7
diversified

Silver Crown engines themselves are not that unique other than most run a conventional front cover and belt driven oil and water pumps to accommodate the starter mandrel on the crankshaft hub. Many engine parts are hard to come by with long lead times these days, pistons and rocker arms seem to a big problem. However, driveline parts like the Tilton clutch/bellhousing/input shaft/u-joint assembly are long since out of production. Peterson no longer builds the starter mandrel, Sanders no longer offers the extended fuel pump/power steering pump drive assembly needed when you run the clutch, and so on…the ASCS engines are legal, if one wanted to run one. Some current engine builds are now using the available and relatively affordable Chevy LS7 heads.

3 members like this post: EBookerFan, oppweld, tirespinner
9/2/23, 5:01 PM   #8
kendirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by diversified View Post
driveline parts like the Tilton clutch/bellhousing/input shaft/u-joint assembly are long since out of production.
I didn't realize until a couple weeks ago at Springfield that the Tilton setup drives through the clutch racing. I assumed it was just to get the car rolling then direct drive to race.

Doesn't Brinn make a Silver Crown setup? I see Bert has what they call a Sprint Car transmission. Internal clutch transmission with a block-mounted starter would be how I'd go if possible.

9/2/23, 5:12 PM   #9
diversified

Brinn does not offer it, but you are correct, Bert has the two speed, internal clutch transmission used in late models and modified. They sell it with a sprint car engine plate, bellhousing, flywheel/ring gear and on board starter assembly. There are quite a few in use mostly in dirt cars, they haven't been available lately as the foundry that made some of the casting went out of business during Covid. Downsides are cost,weight, the ring small ring gear diameter makes it really hard on the onboard starter, and you have a relatively short driveline due to the length of the whole transmission assembly. It's a really clever design all in all.

3 members like this post: kendirt, tirespinner, TQ29m
9/2/23, 8:23 PM   #10
TQ29m

I find this very interesting, I too had the question about the difference in how they were built, and I also had a rather large casting company close up on me, who were using my patterns to make parts for my tq midget business, they only did sand casting , which was what I needed, low volume, but quality aluminum, sounds like the sc cars are built with a lot of specialized parts, thanks for your help!

2 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, PIT CART
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Silver Crown engine