IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > I know this will never happen, but...
5/25/11, 1:19 PM   #1
I know this will never happen, but...
Wrench Turner

How amazing would it be to see the indy cars and silver crown cars made back into the same series combining dirt and aspalt racing? Better yet (IMO), how amazing would it be for front engine cars to be back at indy? Am I the only one who would give their left...uh, you know, to see this? Talk about shaking up the mainstream racing world. Not to mention putting dirt racing in the limelight. I talk about this with my racing buddies every now and then and everyone I know thinks this would be utterly awesome. You want short track open wheel drivers back again at Indy and getting USAC guys some serious exposure? I know I would revel in that. Not to mention, it would show who the best all around oval driver is. Don't get me wrong, I know this isn't going to happen. But a guy can dream cant't he?

Matt Smedley

5/25/11, 2:07 PM   #2
Re: I know this will never happen, but...
Dyno Don

My dream is and it might happen(stress on might), is to bring back The Copper Classic.

There is rumors that Indy Cars are going back to Phoenix. Why not bring the SC and Midgets with them? Throw in the Supers or Indy Lights and you would have a show.

If you had the SC & Midgets you would get at least 30 to 50 thousand fans to see them, even if nobody in Phoenix cares about Indy Cars.

It is so nice to dream and remember past times at PIR.

2 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, IndyBound
5/25/11, 2:44 PM   #3
AP64

The Copper World Classic, that brings back some good memories.

1 member likes this post: Ricks Pics
5/25/11, 3:24 PM   #4
IndyBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyno Don View Post
My dream is and it might happen(stress on might), is to bring back The Copper Classic.

There is rumors that Indy Cars are going back to Phoenix. Why not bring the SC and Midgets with them? Throw in the Supers or Indy Lights and you would have a show.

If you had the SC & Midgets you would get at least 30 to 50 thousand fans to see them, even if nobody in Phoenix cares about Indy Cars.

It is so nice to dream and remember past times at PIR.
Oh Dyno Don,

You provided the laugh I have needed the past several days, you think we would get 30 to 50 thousand fans to come out to see USAC SC & Midgets at PIR. While I would love to see that happend, USAC will surely have to change the way they get the word out they are coming to town than they have done over the ten years I have lived in the area.

I would love to see the Copper Classic back!!!!!! WE can only hope!

Patti

2 members like this post: cowboyhar69, sprintsrgr8
5/26/11, 7:11 AM   #5
Dyno Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBound View Post
Oh Dyno Don,

You provided the laugh I have needed the past several days, you think we would get 30 to 50 thousand fans to come out to see USAC SC & Midgets at PIR. While I would love to see that happend, USAC will surely have to change the way they get the word out they are coming to town than they have done over the ten years I have lived in the area.

I would love to see the Copper Classic back!!!!!! WE can only hope!

Patti
I am talking about the good old days before The IRL got envolved. I went to The Copper from 1997 until early 2000's when The IRL ruined everything.

In its old configuration, it was almost a sell out back then. SC, Midgets,Super Mods and Southwest Nascar tour.Three day show then. Hot laps on Friday, Qualies and heats on Saturday and 4 features on Sunday.

The last time I was there a buddie, an IRL fan, was amased at the crowd. I told him that the people were there to see the USAC stuff and not The IRl. He did not believe me. He went back the next year and they had like 8000 people in the stands. He belived me then.

5/26/11, 7:33 AM   #6
LocalYokel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench Turner View Post
How amazing would it be to see the indy cars and silver crown cars made back into the same series combining dirt and aspalt racing? Better yet (IMO), how amazing would it be for front engine cars to be back at indy? Am I the only one who would give their left...uh, you know, to see this? Talk about shaking up the mainstream racing world. Not to mention putting dirt racing in the limelight. I talk about this with my racing buddies every now and then and everyone I know thinks this would be utterly awesome. You want short track open wheel drivers back again at Indy and getting USAC guys some serious exposure? I know I would revel in that. Not to mention, it would show who the best all around oval driver is. Don't get me wrong, I know this isn't going to happen. But a guy can dream cant't he?

Matt Smedley
Do you happen to live in Anderson?
Posted via Mobile Device

5/26/11, 7:53 AM   #7
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Maybe 15000~

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

Nascar done the promotions the last few years! They keep it a secret maybe 5000 fans at best!

---------- Post added at 08:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

Blame usac and dick king for that! The rich indy car owners did not want to own a dirt car to run for the national championship! It was the end of real racing and usac!!!!!!!!!!!!

5/26/11, 8:37 AM   #8
Wrench Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalYokel View Post
Do you happen to live in Anderson?
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't. I live in Indy and was in Lafayette prior to that. My hometown is Clayton out west of Indy. However, my brother Brett used to live in Anderson in the early to mid 90's. Is that possibly who you're thinking of?

5/26/11, 9:13 AM   #9
ThrowbackRacingTeam

I think it could happen once the sports car people in charge ruin it enough, which they already have. Next year they lose Danica. I hpe they fold up
and someonelse takes it over the right way. I heard a fan poll was taken last year at some of their races about what fans would like to see and they overwhlmingly voted for dirt back on the schedule!

5/26/11, 9:47 AM   #10
Wrench Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
I think it could happen once the sports car people in charge ruin it enough, which they already have. Next year they lose Danica. I hpe they fold up
and someonelse takes it over the right way. I heard a fan poll was taken last year at some of their races about what fans would like to see and they overwhlmingly voted for dirt back on the schedule!
Personally, I think Danica leaving would be the best thing since sliced bread. The only people who seem to love her IMO are the media, promoters and fair weather race fans that think she's hot. Sorry, if I'm demeaning any of her fans here, but that's just how I feel. I mean, come on, the woman has top notch equipment yet mediocre finishes. Regardless, I suppose I'm biased because of her demeanor. My real problem with her is her attitude. She seems quite standoffish and it really irks me when she feels like she's been wronged on the track and goes to confront a male racer knowing full well that they can't do anything back to her because it's a lose/lose situation for him. When she got into it with Milka Duno, a small part of me was hoping that she would have cracked Danica upside her head. I think she pulls that crap for more exposure. Ok, Danica rant over.

Anyway, I hope that a fan poll was taken and that incentive for combining the dirt cars was indeed the result. Although, I still give it a slim and none chance of happening.

1 member likes this post: SUPERDUKE
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > I know this will never happen, but...