IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Favorite Springfield Memory
8/15/13, 2:08 PM   #1
Favorite Springfield Memory
ThrowbackRacingTeam

One of mine as a kid was running up the LONG staircase to get in the grandstand and seeing the beautiful Leader Card #7 driven by Gary Bettenhausen in 1987! That is my all time favorite race car.

Posted via Mobile Device

8/15/13, 3:19 PM   #2
miledirt

The year Jack Hewitt won and dominated the division that year

Posted via Mobile Device

8/15/13, 3:59 PM   #3
SpfldMile

Pancho Carter passing Bobby Olivero in turn 4 of lap 100, riding the cushion, and winning by a nose in 1980.

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by SpfldMile; 8/15/13 at 10:31 PM.

8/15/13, 4:18 PM   #4
Re: Favorite Springfield Memory
mr nobody
Banned

I've been going there for many years but I have to say that last year watching Fike win after following his career for over a decade and a half is a memory I will never forget. That only slightly eclipses 2001 when Jack Hewitt signed autographs after the race.

2 members like this post: groove grabber, welder
8/15/13, 5:58 PM   #5
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Jan Opperman had a bad day. He timed badly, worked his way to the front, and his car gave out. Afterwards in the pits, a young girl approached him. Despite the day he had, he remembered that he had talked to her over a year ago at the Missouri state fairgrounds, picked her up, gave her a hug, posed for pictures and talked to her for a while. She adores him to this day. This is how legends are made.

2 members like this post: EBookerFan, HardyBoysRacing
8/15/13, 6:13 PM   #6
jim goerge

The real Dream WoO and dirt champ cars and Danny Smith sweeping with both his cars # 18

1 member likes this post: SpfldMile
8/15/13, 9:33 PM   #7
kart31rac

Watching Al Unser in the early 70's run the johnning lighting cars, no cages and rooster tails flyin. And in the later 70's watcing Pancho down the stright away flapping his arms like a chicken before he went into the corner. Guess to keep them from cramping up, but it was classic. I will be there on sat. Hope my buddy Chris Urish can get a win. Nothin better than Champ Cars on the mile.

8/16/13, 9:30 AM   #8
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Another of mine was watching Steve Chassey run a tall cushion in turns 3&4 for the entire 100 laps in 1988 to victory. My favorite sight in motor sports is the champ cars on a cushion at Springfield.

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: miledirt, SpfldMile
8/16/13, 11:37 AM   #9
SpfldMile

I've talked to the guys that prep the track a couple of times in the past month. I let them know how much us fans would love to see a cushion during the race. With the cool temperatures, I don't see why they couldn't make it happen. I don't know how much it sunk in, but it never hurts to ask. Hoping for a great day tomorrow.

8/16/13, 9:34 PM   #10
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

As much as I like the dirt cars, my favorite memories are of the night before midget races at Little Springfield.

3 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, erich45, mscs20
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Favorite Springfield Memory