IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC East Coast Sprints to allow 410 motors starting in 2025
3/19/24, 6:23 PM   #1
USAC East Coast Sprints to allow 410 motors starting in 2025
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

USAC East Coast Sprint Cars to allow 410 motors starting in 2025.

https://www.myracepass.com/series/17...u-CDAUjOCWrBvA

3/19/24, 7:34 PM   #2
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

Some outside the box thinking.I like it!

3/21/24, 3:16 PM   #3
Re: USAC East Coast Sprints to allow 410 motors starting in
Gene Franckowiak

Time will tell.......many guys won't like racing a 360 against a 410. Putting restrictors in a 410 will have some short term results until the motor builders figure out new cam profiles and rocker ratios to increase power.....cha ching cha ching. If it works out it'll be great if not, another affordable series bites the dust. I hope it works out.

5 members like this post: Ilovedirttrackracing, oppweld, PJ Wright, Speedmax3
3/21/24, 5:53 PM   #4
Re: USAC East Coast Sprints to allow 410 motors starting in
Frank Reiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Franckowiak View Post
Time will tell.......many guys won't like racing a 360 against a 410. Putting restrictors in a 410 will have some short term results until the motor builders figure out new cam profiles and rocker ratios to increase power.....cha ching cha ching. If it works out it'll be great if not, another affordable series bites the dust. I hope it works out.
Over the years, the question of parity has bedeviled many series and forms of racing. In auto racing it has brought about spec engine approaches, and complete spec car approaches. These efforts have generally been good for driver development, and if well populated and fast enough, can be quite good as a "show". Think NASCAR and IndyCar.

As noted above, inlet restriction is a possible approach to equalizing engine performance. It tends to be both difficult to apply and of short duration.

In almost all forms of auto racing that do not use spec cars or engines, another variable is used to adjust performance - weight. Yet when this approach is brought up in meetings among competitors and sanctioning bodies in open wheel oval racing, anyone who would be a champion of weight adjustment may very well fear for their safety. The suggestion will cause the proliferation of pitchforks and torches!

Changing engine configurations is measured in thousands of dollars, and involves weeks or months to achieve.

Changing weight is measured in low hundreds (at the most) of dollars, and is accomplished in an hour (at the most) with ballast. And yet it is stridently opposed. Go figure.

5 members like this post: bighd0522, Dougherty20, Igo-Ono, luckybuc97, oppweld
3/22/24, 4:52 AM   #5
Radicle

A Z o6 Corvette Motor Can Be Built Making Power Offset Grinding Crank Carrillo Rods & Using Ford Injectors Headers If There Racing A 360 Ford Now USAC Needs To Allow 6.125 Rods As LS Motors Have A 9.240 Deck Height A Cleveland Ford Has a Tall Deck Block I Have A All Out LS 409 Motor Listed In IOW & Have Had Over 22,000 Interests About It
Attached Images
A39018D2-12FB-48EA-BF49-7FEFFFCA24A0.jpeg (399.9 KB, 42 views)
Last edited by Radicle; 3/22/24 at 11:34 AM.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC East Coast Sprints to allow 410 motors starting in 2025