IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > chassis setups
12/19/13, 7:46 PM   #1
chassis setups
diana

Hello All,

I am looking for some good old fashioned, honest, down to earth advice on setups.
Bailey 1000 cc For example the car is totally stripped ready for powder coating and
now we are putting it back together. What I want is a step by step procedure of putting it back together
and establishing a base line setup. Include all info / car on jacks or ground/adjusting ride heights, blocking squaring , scaling , tire pressures , stagger
Bird cage timing , shock numbers,dry or wet track conditions. Remember small things that you take for granted others are not aware of. This will most likely take more than one evening to prepare. There are a lot of different techniques to accomplish the end product.
I would like to hear from all. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of other racers who would be very interested in this topic. Lets all get together on this and help everyone
especially the new racers out there. It's a shame to waste all the talent and experience locked away in so many of your minds. I look forward to hearing from you and a sincere thank you from myself
and the millions of racers who will read this.
Merry Christmas to all.
Last edited by diana; 12/20/13 at 5:55 PM. Reason: dumb question!!!

1 member likes this post: DAD
12/19/13, 8:12 PM   #2
Re: chassis setups
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana View Post
Hello All,

I am looking for some good old fashioned, honest, down to earth advice on setups.
Bailey 1000 cc For example the car is totally stripped ready for powder coating and
now we are putting it back together. What I want is a step by step procedure of putting it back together
and establishing a base line setup. Include all info / car on jacks or ground/adjusting ride heights, blocking squaring , scaling , tire pressures , stagger
Bird cage timing , shock numbers,dry or wet track conditions. Remember small things that you take for granted others are not aware of. This will most likely take more than one evening to prepare. There are a lot of different techniques to accomplish the end product.
I would like to hear from all. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of other racers who would be very interested in this topic. Lets all get together on this and help everyone
especially the new racers out there. It's a shame to waste all the talent and experience locked away in so many of your minds. I look forward to hearing from you and a sincere thank you from myself
Merry Christmas to all.
diana

Call Floyd Bailey at Bailey chassis co. in Hendersonville Tenn. (1-615-822-7041) Floyd is a good guy and if you want info why not go to the the guy that built it.

Honest Dad himself

12/19/13, 9:03 PM   #3
diana

like I mentioned , there are many different techniques and theories out there. On way might work for one and not the other.

12/20/13, 10:52 AM   #4
DAD

Quote:
like I mentioned , there are many different techniques and theories out there. On way might work for one and not the other.
diana

There is no magic wand, wish there was. You start with a basic set up, usually supplied by your chassis builder. From there you work on tightening or loosening the car to match the driver. It is very possible to have 4 identical cars setting side by side with 4 different set up's that work equally well, because of driver preference.

Steve Smith has an excellent book out on set up for either for midgets or mini sprints.

The more you race the easier it gets. Goes back to one of my favorite sayings seat time seat time seat time. The same thing hold true for mechanics.

Race car set up and handling would require not just a book but volumes of books to cover everything. There are many ways to accomplish the same results and they all work just fine you just got to use what works for you.

Find your hot dog and ask them questions, most of them will be glad to help you along. But like I said ask 4 different people and you will probably get 4 different responses.

Setup is a piece of cake (DEVILS FOOD).

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: jjones752
12/20/13, 1:59 PM   #5
TQ29m

Quote:
Hello All,

Merry Christmas to all.
Not to be offensive, it is hard tho, but my advice is that most of the nuts are Right Hand, you, I'm not so sure about! Webster didn't put enough words in his book, to cover the "dumb" question you have asked, you my friend are unbelievable! Bob!

12/20/13, 2:12 PM   #6
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

I think writing the definitive manual on Mini Sprint setup, and then transferring that to successful application on one specific race car could potentially be more difficult (and painful) than learning to play bagpipes from a book...

Seriously though, the best stuff out there is from Steve Smith Autosports; I still refer to my old Sprint Car book written by Don Alexander in the 80's and the basics still hold true. While I've been rebuilding my Doemelt/Bailey/Leader's Edge-GSXR1127 Mongrel I'll bet I've watched Jimmy Sills' Midget Setup DVD at least half a dozen times so far and learned something every time, but the REAL learning will come every time I get out on the track and come back, tweak something (put it in the log) try it, repeat, repeat, repeat...

You said it yourself; one way might work for one and not the other. The only way you find that out for yourself is to get out there and see what happens when you roll off the throttle, stab the brake, steer just a tad to the right and squeeze that right foot back down. To me, figuring out how to make the end product a thing of beauty is one of the great joys in life.
Good luck. But most importantly, have fun!
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 12/20/13 at 2:32 PM.

12/20/13, 3:28 PM   #7
TQ29m

Jim, I think the bag-pipe book would be possible, even for someone who had never even seen one, there are a lot less things to be done, maybe not at one time, but it is pretty simple, blow in the bag, squeeze the bag, and put fingers over the notes, doesn't make any difference in which order, you'll eventually be able to play the scale, now, wasn't that simple? Now, try to explain the "mechanics", if you will, of the order in which to assemble a race car, as well as pick out a color before you start, then, make all the thousands of possible ways to set one up, as well as putting air in the tires, or was that something that isn't needed, I just see the question as argumentive, and if not impossible, nearly. It is now in pieces, unpainted, so why not start with that, and the rest is a piece of that cake DAD had reference to. Bob!

12/20/13, 3:44 PM   #8
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

That's why I said the bagpipe learning curve was probably easier!
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 12/20/13 at 10:09 PM.

12/20/13, 3:53 PM   #9
TQ29m

A great way to get on the bad side of every one who reads things on this website! Bob!

12/23/13, 11:07 AM   #10
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Jim, I think the bag-pipe book would be possible, even for someone who had never even seen one, there are a lot less things to be done, maybe not at one time, but it is pretty simple, blow in the bag, squeeze the bag, and put fingers over the notes, doesn't make any difference in which order, you'll eventually be able to play the scale, now, wasn't that simple? Now, try to explain the "mechanics", if you will, of the order in which to assemble a race car, as well as pick out a color before you start, then, make all the thousands of possible ways to set one up, as well as putting air in the tires, or was that something that isn't needed, I just see the question as argumentive, and if not impossible, nearly. It is now in pieces, unpainted, so why not start with that, and the rest is a piece of that cake DAD had reference to. Bob!
Bob

Are you supposed to paint these things? I missed that class I guess. By the Time I get to the paint part, I am usually out of money. I kinda of like my "Mother of Jell-Coat " paint jobs and If God wanted you to hide them welds he wouldn't have invented TIG welders and WD40.

Honst Dad himself

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > chassis setups