IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Driver adjustments
2/22/18, 3:56 PM   #1
Driver adjustments
Longtime sprinter

Someone smarter than me, (that may be anyone reading this), please explain why USAC would take away the drivers "in car" adjustments, on the suspension? How will that affect the cars handling from track to track? Is it a big deal?

2/22/18, 4:09 PM   #2
bmemmer

😁😂
Last edited by bmemmer; 2/22/18 at 10:59 PM.

2/22/18, 4:16 PM   #3
Re: Driver adjustments
jim goerge

I'm not the brightest light in the house, I had a driver friend explain the ""in car adustments"" to me they"re not for track to track changes as you do that in the shop The adjustments are for the driver to use while on the track in a race kinda to fine tune the car The driver can add are take away weight and put it where he feels it will help the car I hope that helps alittle as its been awhile since he told me that and I"ve slept since then

2/22/18, 4:49 PM   #4
Tim Clauson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtime sprinter View Post
Someone smarter than me, (that may be anyone reading this), please explain why USAC would take away the drivers "in car" adjustments, on the suspension? How will that affect the cars handling from track to track? Is it a big deal?

Basically it came down to this.

A traveling series depends on locals cars coming in to support the traveling series when it comes to town. Something that the traveling series needs to look at is how to be more inclusive and since the majority of local series have rules that have banned cockpit adjustments it was discussed and decided that in an effort to be more inclusive to ban cockpit adjustments.

from a performance standpoint I really don't care either way but if to will bring more cars to the tracks when a traveling series is in the area then I am all for it.

Speaking purely from the racer / crew chief all it really did in our camp is cause us to look at things a little harder and put a little more thought into how we were going to manage the race from a mechanical perspective and how our driver was going to manage it from behind the wheel.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks
Tim Clauson

2/22/18, 5:16 PM   #5
luckybuc97

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmemmer View Post
Talked to several drivers in Florida and some teams were taking things too far. Things you wouldn't even image.
I'm really interested in knowing the things we wouldn't imagine.

6 members like this post: Dirtfan, jdull99, jim goerge, RACrappieman, RedRacer07, sc17x
2/22/18, 5:48 PM   #6
Kydehart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Clauson View Post
Basically it came down to this.

A traveling series depends on locals cars coming in to support the traveling series when it comes to town. Something that the traveling series needs to look at is how to be more inclusive and since the majority of local series have rules that have banned cockpit adjustments it was discussed and decided that in an effort to be more inclusive to ban cockpit adjustments.

from a performance standpoint I really don't care either way but if to will bring more cars to the tracks when a traveling series is in the area then I am all for it.

Speaking purely from the racer / crew chief all it really did in our camp is cause us to look at things a little harder and put a little more thought into how we were going to manage the race from a mechanical perspective and how our driver was going to manage it from behind the wheel.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks
Tim Clauson
Most concise and useful post I've seen on this subject yet. Thank you, Tim, and thanks for all you do for the sport.

2/22/18, 8:14 PM   #7
bmemmer

Ill send ya a private message

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
2/22/18, 8:19 PM   #8
BrentTFunk

Dave Argabright has an interesting column in the new Sprintcar and Midget magazine on this subject.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
2/22/18, 9:07 PM   #9
interpreter66

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmemmer View Post
Ill send ya a private message
Can you send all of us a private message 🙂

5 members like this post: jdull99, luckybuc97, RACrappieman, rmr6nm, sc17x
2/22/18, 9:32 PM   #10
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckybuc97 View Post
I'm really interested in knowing the things we wouldn't imagine.
Maybe these things could be shared? LoL

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Driver adjustments